Bad tie rods?

Started by 2o6, October 16, 2011, 10:08:29 PM

2o6

About to put the front struts of my car on the end of this week.

I've been driving it around with new rear springs/shocks for about a week now. Steering wheel vibrations are much more then they should be. Is there any way to diagnose this? I think it's tie rod ends; I mean the car does have close to 150K. The tires up front are crappy (no bubbles in the sidewall this time) but the wheel vibrations above 55MPH are too great.

Also, the car has a tendency to pull, but I'm chalking it up to crappy tires. (It didn't pull before I got these tires, and the tread life between the front ones are noticeably different)

New tie rods or tie rod ends? I know I'm going to have to get it fixed before it gets aligned.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FoMoJo

If the tie rods were worn you'd hear them. 

Sounds like something seriously out of balance/alignment.  Has the car ever been in an accident?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on October 17, 2011, 12:01:12 AM
Wheels out of balance.

Could they really have screwed up the balance? It seems like I just have terrible dealings with every automotive technician I go to.

Secret Chimp

Tie rods are easy to check. Jack the car up, wiggle. Put some weight back on the wheel (or better yet just lift the car via the lower control arm under the spring mount) and wiggle. You might have bent wheel(s) too.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on October 17, 2011, 03:48:11 PM

Could they really have screwed up the balance? It seems like I just have terrible dealings with every automotive technician I go to.

They? Wheels go out of balance all the time. You have to rebalance them whenever you put a tire (new or the same old one) on the wheel. Alignment issues don't show up as vibration, I don't think. Tie rods, I dunno about. Other suspension issues are anyone's guess. But it's 80% chance it's just the wheels being out of balance.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

S204STi

Alignment issues can cause major tire wear and a wonky steering wheel, but not vibration.  Worn tie rods will cause an alignment issue, but not vibration.  Out-of-balance wheels/tires, and/or bent wheels will cause a vibration.  Some tires will also balance out normally but still vibrate because of a defect with the belts or construction; sometimes tires vibrate indefinitely after taking a major hit and will need to be replaced.

2o6

So it's these craptastic used tires I bought.

Thanks, guys!

S204STi

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on October 17, 2011, 07:24:06 PM
Alignment issues can cause major tire wear and a wonky steering wheel, but not vibration.  Worn tie rods will cause an alignment issue, but not vibration.  Out-of-balance wheels/tires, and/or bent wheels will cause a vibration.  Some tires will also balance out normally but still vibrate because of a defect with the belts or construction; sometimes tires vibrate indefinitely after taking a major hit and will need to be replaced.

Besides shifted belts, it's possible for a tire to be statically balanced but not dynamically balanced.  If the tire shop only had a static balancer, they may appear balanced on the machine but in fact be dynamically out of balance.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on October 17, 2011, 07:33:39 PM
So it's these craptastic used tires I bought.

Thanks, guys!

Well, kind of. It's the out-of-balance property of those tires on those wheels. Costs $30 at Big-O to have all four wheels spin balanced.

2o6

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on October 17, 2011, 07:42:53 PM
Besides shifted belts, it's possible for a tire to be statically balanced but not dynamically balanced.  If the tire shop only had a static balancer, they may appear balanced on the machine but in fact be dynamically out of balance.

True, thank you for that.

2o6

Checked over my front tires today. I just noticed one of my rims are bent.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 2o6 on October 21, 2011, 12:26:03 PM
Checked over my front tires today. I just noticed one of my rims are bent.

Called it

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

What are the symptoms of bad bearings or tie rod ends?

Rupert

You replaced the rims and tires and the problem is still the same?

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on October 31, 2011, 12:37:56 PM
What are the symptoms of bad bearings or tie rod ends?

Bearings usually make a loud grumbling sound.  If they're really shot, you'll be able to wiggle the wheel a little bit on the hub if you jack up a wheel.

Loose tie rods generally make the steering kind of sloppy and the car will want to wander (won't track straight).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Well, I got the front of the SVT kit on, and I will need an alignment. I'm guessing the shop will tell me if bearings and tie rods are bad?

Rupert

If you ask them, probably. What's the symptom?

2o6

Getting some odd noises from the front end, and it has a tendency to bump steer and seek the ditch.

Maybe I should stop jumping to conclusions; I mean I did take off the front struts.

It's odd; I'll get pretty much no vibrations at 25MPH, a whole lot of vibrations at 40MPH, then at 50-60MPH they're gone, and at 75MPH they're back again. Let me get these new rims and see if it fixes the problem.

Rupert

Yeah, that's a good call.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on October 31, 2011, 08:51:05 PM
Getting some odd noises from the front end, and it has a tendency to bump steer and seek the ditch.

Maybe I should stop jumping to conclusions; I mean I did take off the front struts.

It's odd; I'll get pretty much no vibrations at 25MPH, a whole lot of vibrations at 40MPH, then at 50-60MPH they're gone, and at 75MPH they're back again. Let me get these new rims and see if it fixes the problem.

Vibration, particularly frequency dependent (speed dependent) vibration, is generally a sign of a tire/wheel balance issue.  If the first vibration frequency for an unbalanced wheel occurs at ~40 mph, then the next harmonic would occur at ~80 mph and at speeds in between the vibrations will die down.
Needs more Jiggawatts

sparkplug

sounds like a problems with the hormones of the car. Was it previously owned by a woman with PMS.

Ok for a real answer it sounds like something with the tires and wheels but I would get the suspension looked at. Could be a drivetrain issue.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on November 01, 2011, 07:41:26 PM
Vibration, particularly frequency dependent (speed dependent) vibration, is generally a sign of a tire/wheel balance issue.  If the first vibration frequency for an unbalanced wheel occurs at ~40 mph, then the next harmonic would occur at ~80 mph and at speeds in between the vibrations will die down.

Wow! Thanks!

Rupert

2o6

It was the wheels/tires. SVT wheels (for the most part) don't do it; new tires up front with the SVT wheels. However, the rear tires have a bad summer tire, and a crap winter tire on them, so there's a slight vibration/noise issue.

I still think I need bearings, though.

S204STi

lol... you either do or you don't.   Are they loose?  If not, don't bother them.

Rupert

Did you get the wheels balanced? You should get the wheels balanced. Like I said in the first reply to the thread. All problems would go away.

2o6

Quote from: R-inge on November 02, 2011, 05:59:50 PM
lol... you either do or you don't.   Are they loose?  If not, don't bother them.

Annoying grinding noise. No more shaking, but the grinding is still there.