What to get next?

Started by Byteme, October 25, 2011, 02:16:08 PM

Byteme

I may have decided.    

Wadda' you think?  

Before someone brings it up, no, I don't really want the complexity of the turbo.  The standard NA (Normally Aspirated)is sufficient.  Lotus' claims for the 172bhp 'starter' Esprit were largely unchanged over the S3, via at top speed of 138mph (222kph) 5,600rpm; 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds; 0-100mph in 18.8 seconds. Unratified fuel consumption figures were: 19.3mpg Urban, 39.8mpg at 56mph and 33.3mpg at 75mph.  That's sufficient.

Colonel Cadillac

:wub: :wub:

Those are going for in their 40's now, right? Man I love the Esprit V8!

Excellent idea  :clap: You must endlessly search for a perfect example and purchase it immediately!

Colonel Cadillac

What are the specifics of what you are looking for? NA 4-cylinder? Is that the 2.2L or something?

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Byteme

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 25, 2011, 02:22:59 PM
What are the specifics of what you are looking for? NA 4-cylinder? Is that the 2.2L or something?

Lotus claims for the 172bhp 'starter' Esprit were largely unchanged over the S3, via at top speed of 138mph (222kph) 5,600rpm; 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds; 0-100mph in 18.8 seconds. Unratified fuel consumption figures were: 19.3mpg Urban, 39.8mpg at 56mph and 33.3mpg at 75mph

Such claims are really the only guide we have to later Esprit performance without a turbocharger, as the magazines were not offered a chance to independently test such an Esprit.

The Normally-Aspirated variant of the Esprit can be principally identified by the lack of a rear glass shield between the flying buttress panels. And was only produced from 1988 to 1990.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

Engine
Lotus 912 2174 cc four-cylinder in-line, 16-valve DOHC,
two Dellorto DHLA4SE side draugh carburettors.
Bore & Stroke: 9.29 x 76.2mm. Compression: 9.4:1.
Block & Head: Aluminum alloy

Power and Torque
172bhp @ 6500rpm
160lb ft @ 5000rpm

Body/Chassis
Glassfibre-reinforced plastic body with galvanised steel backbone chassis.
Passenger compartment encapsulated in a 'safety-cell structure'.

Transmission
Five-speed manual unit. Rear-wheel drive.
Clutch: 9.5in diaphragm spring, hydraulically operated.

Brakes
10.5in discs front
10.8in discs rear
Dual braking system, split front/rear circuits

Steering
Rack-and-pinion

Suspension
Front: Independent by upper wishbones, lower transverse links, coil springs, anti-roll bar.
Rear: independent by non-parallel unequal-length double transverse links, radius arms, coil springs.

Wheels & Tyres
Front: 7J x 15
Rear: 8J x 15
Goodyear Grand Prix
Front: 195/60 VR15
Rear: 235/60 VR15

Vinsanity

Neat idea; I didn't even know they made non-turbo Esprits later in the car's run, though, so I'd think that they'd be kinda hard to find.

sportyaccordy

Man I just don't know. If you are gonna get this, go for the turbo. The turbos are the least of that car's problems.

Onslaught

What do I think? Very good. Very good.

SVT666

Yeah, I'm with Sporty on this one.  Get the turbo.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 25, 2011, 02:58:46 PM
Man I just don't know. If you are gonna get this, go for the turbo. The turbos are the least of that car's problems.

Realize the turbos on the Esprit pressurized the engine to something around 30 PSI.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

Esprit.  YES!  Or Elan.  Idk
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Check this out:  Wheeler Dealers: Lotus Esprit.

They went with the an '83 S3 non-turbo model. Gives an idea of what you'd be looking at as an owner. Pretty much any engine work requires the engine pulled (at least for the S3). Just seems like it be a major PITA to own and drive. I wouldn't recommend it. Pretty much the only people impressed by it are people who don't know much about cars.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 68_427 on October 25, 2011, 04:55:56 PM
Esprit.  YES!  Or Elan.  Idk

Elan? Dude already has a Miata.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on October 25, 2011, 05:42:09 PM
Check this out:  Wheeler Dealers: Lotus Esprit.

Pretty much the only people impressed by it are people who don't know much about cars.

I know a little about cars. And I like them. Actually, I love them.

Soup DeVille

Check this out:  Wheeler Dealers: Lotus Esprit.

They went with the an '83 S3 non-turbo model. Gives an idea of what you'd be looking at as an owner. Pretty much any engine work requires the engine pulled (at least for the S3). Just seems like it be a major PITA to own and drive. I wouldn't recommend it. Pretty much the only people impressed by it are people who don't know much about cars.

I must know nothing about cars.

Maybe he should get a late model Ferrari so he can fit in when all the connoisseurs down at the Starbucks?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Check this out:  Wheeler Dealers: Lotus Esprit.

On the contrary, these are well rspected sports cars, that are rather easy to work on.  Realize though that easy to work on is is relative based on my  experience with a Jaguar E-type.

What you seem to fail to understand is that for many, many owners of classic and exotic cars working on a car is almost as a rewarding and pleasurable experience as driving it.  There is a supreme sense of satisfaction in actually "doing it" rather than paying someone else to do it.

An Esprit is one of those cars that you can enjoy by just going out in the garage and looking at it.

Perhaps you need to read more Peter Egan and less Consumer Reports so you understand the concept of exotic car ownership as a hobby.

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 25, 2011, 06:10:46 PM
On the contrary, these are well rspected sports cars, that are rather easy to work on.  Realize though that easy to work on is is relative based on my  experience with a Jaguar E-type.

What you seem to fail to understand is that for many, many owners of classic and exotic cars working on a car is almost as a rewarding and pleasurable experience as driving it.  There is a supreme sense of satisfaction in actually "doing it" rather than paying someone else to do it.

An Esprit is one of those cars that you can enjoy by just going out in the garage and looking at it.

Perhaps you need to read more Peter Egan and less Consumer Reports so you understand the concept of exotic car ownership as a hobby.

Nah, dawg, I've done my fair share of engines, transmission, heads, cams, headers, manifolds, carbs, etc., and otherwise fully understand the rewards of "actually doing it" (also add to this a house built in 1929 that I've owned for almost 14 years). This is not relegated to classic and exotic cars.

My overall point is that it's a fairly "meh" car IMO. PITA to work on, mediocre performance, and neither an exotic nor a classic. Interesting? Sure. Rare? Sure. Will people state? Sure. Just one bloke's opinion. I think you'd be WAY better off accepting that which you are fighting with every fiber of your being (older 911).

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on October 25, 2011, 06:47:57 PM
Nah, dawg, I've done my fair share of engines, transmission, heads, cams, headers, manifolds, carbs, etc., and otherwise fully understand the rewards of "actually doing it" (also add to this a house built in 1929 that I've owned for almost 14 years). This is not relegated to classic and exotic cars.

My overall point is that it's a fairly "meh" car IMO. PITA to work on, mediocre performance, and neither an exotic nor a classic. Interesting? Sure. Rare? Sure. Will people state? Sure. Just one bloke's opinion. I think you'd be WAY better off accepting that which you are fighting with every fiber of your being (older 911).

Fortunately, your opinion means virtually nothing to me.     :lol:

14 years?  Weren't you the guy that was sweating his parent's reaction to a ticket he got while in college about 8-9 years ago? 

No need to answer that you are back on ignore.   :ohyeah:

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 25, 2011, 02:57:32 PM
Neat idea; I didn't even know they made non-turbo Esprits later in the car's run, though, so I'd think that they'd be kinda hard to find.

They made fewer NAs than turbos so one will be more difficult to find. 

Just looked at Hemmings, Auto.com and Autotrader an overall it appears to be a target rich environment;  several for sale but all turbos.  A couple in the Houston area and one as close as New Orleans.

It'll be a year or so until I spring for something and this is just my current idea.

Keep ideas coming.   

GoCougs

Oh, jeez, shoulda just cut to the chase: Esprit is for posers. Buy a better car, which you will.

hotrodalex

Yeah, buy an Camry SE. Way better performance, brah.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on October 25, 2011, 07:17:29 PM
Oh, jeez, shoulda just cut to the chase: Esprit is for posers. Buy a better car, which you will.
I'd rather have a Esprit then an older 911. They look better.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm with Cougs on this one. Any V6 Camcord will perform better, be more fun to drive, and be so reliable you'll never have to figure out where the hood release is.

:rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on October 25, 2011, 07:17:29 PM
Poseur.  and I disagree.

GoCougs

Wait - what? So miataJohn is French (Canadian)? I thought he was a steers-n-queers Texan?

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on October 25, 2011, 07:24:49 PM
I'd rather have a Esprit then an older 911. They look better.

Some of the older 911s look neutered if not effeminate but the Carerra models and various others with a bit fender flare and a tail even out pretty good. (FWIW I'm not a huge fan).

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on October 25, 2011, 07:43:53 PM
Wait - what? So miataJohn is French (Canadian)? I thought he was a steers-n-queers Texan?

No, that's just how the word is spelled. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poseur

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poser

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

John, is the S4 model a turbo?  I've always liked the Esprit.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

I'm pretty sure all the S4 Esprits were turbocharged.

I echo the sentiment re. turbo vs. naturally aspirated. If you're going to get an Esprit don't fuck around: get a turbo.

mzziaz

Espirits are beautiful cars.

With the Dino GT/4 (which I also recommend) as third and the earliest Countach (too 'spensive) as second, the Espirit is the most succesfully wedge design ever, IMO.

However, I believe they are a pretty tight fit for tall persons (like most Lotuses), so try if you fit first. The GT/4 is supposed to be better accommodating.
Cuore Sportivo