Started by Tave, October 25, 2011, 08:43:38 PM

Who do you root for?

Undead Horde
0 (0%)
Survivors
9 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

The folks on that show are woefully underarmed.

Ladies and gentlemen, I submit for your approval, the LCW Zombie gun:

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Can someone please explain the modern obsession with Zombies? I see them all over TV, Games, Comics and Movies. And I know of people who just love the shit. I don't get it?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on October 25, 2011, 10:01:56 PM
Can someone please explain the modern obsession with Zombies? I see them all over TV, Games, Comics and Movies. And I know of people who just love the shit. I don't get it?

Neither do I.

I mean, I like The Walking Dead, and I like the Geoorge Romero movies and some of the cheesier zombie flicks, (Like Return of the Living Dead Part II), but they're just movies.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

I like a few too. But some people just really get into this shit these days. I know of a few guys and girls who dress up like them for fun. Why not do something cool like Star Wars?

Raza

Neither do I.  On my watch forum, every couple of months, a thread pops up asking "What watch would you wear during the Zombie Apocalypse?" and the like. 

But when it bears fruit like The Walking Dead, I'm happy.  I've never seen a zombie movie that I thought was worth watching other than Shaun of the Dead. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

People want an escape from their mundane lives

It depresses me because my wife is into all that horseshit... zombies, vampires, history... shit that is all super far removed from day to day life. I think some people are just wired that way. Its like a less extreme version of those crazy conspiracy theorists

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 26, 2011, 09:45:42 AM
People want an escape from their mundane lives

It depresses me because my wife is into all that horseshit... zombies, vampires, history... shit that is all super far removed from day to day life. I think some people are just wired that way. Its like a less extreme version of those crazy conspiracy theorists

Zombies, vampires.....history?  Oh man, all those history people and their crazy love of knowledge....

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on October 25, 2011, 10:14:12 PM
I like a few too. But some people just really get into this shit these days. I know of a few guys and girls who dress up like them for fun. Why not do something cool like Star Wars?

Better yet. Why not do something cool like "Get a Life"     :lol:

Everytime I think of people dressing up like their favorite Star Wars character I think of this:  

www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/nerds

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on October 26, 2011, 10:15:50 AM
Zombies, vampires.....history?  Oh man, all those history people and their crazy love of knowledge....
Nothing wrong w/history in and of itself. Something wrong w/renaissance fairs & war reenactments (the former of which my wife has taken part in + will not be allowed to live down). It comes down to playing pretend games... which as you get older should really only be limited to the bedroom

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 26, 2011, 11:16:40 AM
Nothing wrong w/history in and of itself. Something wrong w/renaissance fairs & war reenactments (the former of which my wife has taken part in + will not be allowed to live down). It comes down to playing pretend games... which as you get older should really only be limited to the bedroom

Ah, your wife is a LARPer.  I get it now.  Renaissance fairs are fun, but I wouldn't actually participate in one.  The trip to the PA Renaissance Faire was probably my favorite field trip in school.  Either that or DC.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

The chicken at "Medeival Fairs" was awesome, but yea, there's no rationale for taking that next step.

To each their own though, I still love her.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 26, 2011, 11:29:10 AM
The chicken at "Medeival Fairs" was awesome, but yea, there's no rationale for taking that next step.

To each their own though, I still love her.

Please tell me she reenacted on the Confederate side. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

Vampires, zombies, even history...it's all a desire in some to live forever...either as a fantasy or by leaving something behind that, even if it doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, is at least studied or admired in some way.   

Tave

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2011, 08:46:52 PM

I think that answers it. 

Haha, I watched Walking Dead for the first time last night which is why I started this thread.

I polished off Season 1 this morning.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm currently stockpiling weapons and ammo to fight the hoard. Hell, probably a better chance that I'll fight them than russians.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 07:34:21 PM
I'm currently stockpiling weapons and ammo to fight the hoard. Hell, probably a better chance that I'll fight them than russians.
If the Russians make it here your guns won't help you at all. And if we have a hoard of Zombies then just use the guns to kill yourself.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 07:34:21 PM

5.45 x 39 Russian is the best choice in anti-zombie weaponry anyways.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on October 26, 2011, 07:45:34 PM
If the Russians make it here your guns won't help you at all. And if we have a hoard of Zombies then just use the guns to kill yourself.

I'll enjoy the carnage for awhile, when I'm done I'll off myself.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 08:35:37 PM

Ok, I like to keep a variety at my fingertips.

Besides, nothing wrong with a good old .308.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 08:35:37 PM

7.62x54 is bigger, though my firing rate is awful slow.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 08:37:38 PM
Ok, I like to keep a variety at my fingertips.

Besides, nothing wrong with a good old .308.

Oh, .308 is my favorite all around cartridge. Period.

But, for zombies, you don't need the range, and damage to the body is irrelevant. But, the ability to empty the cranial cavity at under 100 yards is paramount, as is carrying a high number of rounds, and as I'm sure you know; carrying lots of .308 ammo adds up the weight and bulk fast. Keeping yourself to 20 kg, that means about 220 rounds of .308, but about 580 of 5.45.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 08:41:03 PM
Oh, .308 is my favorite all around cartridge. Period.

But, for zombies, you don't need the range, and damage to the body is irrelevant. But, the ability to empty the cranial cavity at under 100 yards is paramount, as is carrying a high number of rounds, and as I'm sure you know; carrying lots of .308 ammo adds up the weight and bulk fast. Keeping yourself to 20 kg, that means about 220 rounds of .308, but about 580 of 5.45.

If weight is an issue why not some of the smaller rifle rounds in the 22 caliber region. Hell even a 17HMR would open a head up at 100 yards just due to it's velocity. Something like that would allow you to carry up to 1500 rounds.

FlatBlackCaddy

Also mobility wouldn't be my main concern. If what i've learned from the movies is true(when isn't it) a fortified defense is the better solution. For that I'd prefer some heavier calibers for both distance and power. Besides, while a 9mm may do the trick up close, you can't deny a 500 magnum wouldn't be more....amusing. It's the end of the world for christ sake, a good chuckle is priceless.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 08:43:36 PM
If weight is an issue why not some of the smaller rifle rounds in the 22 caliber region. Hell even a 17HMR would open a head up at 100 yards just due to it's velocity. Something like that would allow you to carry up to 1500 rounds.

Although I've heard pletny of people claim that .22WMR or .17HMR would be better choices, I'm just not buying it. I've done a little small game hunting with a 17, and while its a great round for squirrels, I just don't see it doing that great on a human skull. I'll sacrifice some capacity for a more powerful round.

In many ways, I think the 5.7 x 28 FN round would be the technically perfect choice here, but its too expensive and too rare to be counted on in such a situation. Stockpiling enough of it would bankrupt any normal person. You could also make a plausible case for .223/5.56 (it certainly may be more field scavengeable), but again cost is the factor. And yes, you can count me in as one of the hold-outs that still question the reliability of the AR platform in zombie apocalypse type conditions.

I definitely would want a good rimfire at my side too though. If I could find a suppressor for one it would be a perfect tool for discreet incursions.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 08:45:49 PM
Also mobility wouldn't be my main concern. If what i've learned from the movies is true(when isn't it) a fortified defense is the better solution. For that I'd prefer some heavier calibers for both distance and power. Besides, while a 9mm may do the trick up close, you can't deny a 500 magnum wouldn't be more....amusing. It's the end of the world for christ sake, a good chuckle is priceless.

Splatter. probably not the best idea in a biohazard type situation; although I grant you there's a big amusement factor.

Onslaught

Would it not be better to drive to a local Army base and leaner how to drive an M1?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on October 26, 2011, 08:52:32 PM
Would it not be better to drive to a local Army base and leaner how to drive an M1?

In some situations, perhaps: but if there are functional M1A1s around, its a fair bet that somebody's already using them.

I wouldn't count on being able to reach a usable, running, and yet unmanned tank. Even if that was part of my plan, I'd better be prepared for THAT trip too...

Onslaught

What if the Zombie is the one in the M1?