Who do you root for?

Undead Horde
0 (0%)
Survivors
9 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 27, 2011, 08:44:34 PM
No, not completely useless. In fact a .22 may be great in a lot of situations. Not a lot of "safety factor" there though: You either hit the zombie smack dab in the medulla oblongata, or you may as well miss.

The cheapest step-up would be the 5.45 x 39 AK74 round, but you're looking at at least 500 dollars for the gun that'll shoot it.

You nazi-killing smokepole will dispatch zombies just fine with that surplus spam can ammo, but your firing rate is miserable, and upgrading to something semi-auto in the same caliber  (SVT38/40, semi-auto PKM, PSL-1, SVD Dragunov) is a high dollar option.

a nice "next-best" option might be a .22WMR Remington 597. Still less than $200 to get into one, and cheap, lightweight ammo with a lot more power than the .22LR.

Yeah, but isn't .22WMR going to be more expensive than a more common, and larger caliber rifle round? I'm just assuming, since it seems a bit specialized.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 27, 2011, 08:47:27 PM
Yeah, but isn't .22WMR going to be more expensive than a more common, and larger caliber rifle round? I'm just assuming, since it seems a bit specialized.

You're looking at about $10 for a 50 round box. More expensive than .22LR by far, but still cheaper than nearly all centerfire ammo.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FE737-1.html
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 27, 2011, 08:51:24 PM
You're looking at about $10 for a 50 round box. More expensive than .22LR by far, but still cheaper than nearly all centerfire ammo.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FE737-1.html

I guess that's pretty cheap. I should look into a semi-auto rifle with a large magazine.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 27, 2011, 06:00:10 PM
The Glock 18 is the select fire model. There are 18 of them in the country, only three of which are transferable to a civilian, and one of which is unaccounted for. The rest are owned by the military or law enforcement.

The CX4 wouldn't be a bad choice, but there's a reason no military has ever adopted the AA-12: Carrying enough shotgun shells to feed a full auto shotgun is iffy at best.

The PPS might be a good choice too, but go with 9mm. That'll give you a 9mm carbine and a 9mm sidearm, negating the need to have two different rounds.

One 200 round drum in the gun, one backup in the messenger bag.  It's really only if shit goes down at closer range and I need to pump and run.  If I run out of ammo there, I'm done for anyway.  That's when I pull the pistol and put it to my temple. 

You're probably right about the 9mm PPS.  It's a nice gun, too.  Fires well (better than a Glock 19, if I dare say) and is a good size.  And having one type of ammunition definitely simplifies things. 

And as far as the Glock 18 goes, since it's a fantastic situation anyway, let's make it an 18C with the 33 round magazine--five of them, to be exact.  And, I feel like I should throw a revolver into the mix, just so I have a gun that will always work, no matter what.  Probably a 686+ 2" filled with .38s. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Newb question, when I break into the gun store, what's the best way to tell which caliber ammo goes with which gun?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 27, 2011, 06:01:09 PM
Holding a Colt Python (in what I assume to be .45 Colt) that close to your head in any situation would be horrendously loud.

Quote from: 68_427 on October 27, 2011, 06:33:39 PM
Lol that was funny.  I was like he'd not going to do th... oh shit lololol

Yeah, but it's understandable.  I mean, you're chilling out, just hanging in a tank, and boom, the guy next to you turns out to be a zombie, you've got a gun in your hand, you just react. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on October 28, 2011, 09:09:05 AM
Newb question, when I break into the gun store, what's the best way to tell which caliber ammo goes with which gun?

It should say on the weapon what caliber it takes.  At least all the pistols I've fired say that.  So you can just read it off and match it up. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

You don't think anyone else will have broken into the gun store already? You'll be lucky to find a BB gun left on the shelf.

Tave

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 28, 2011, 11:59:23 AM
You don't think anyone else will have broken into the gun store already? You'll be lucky to find a BB gun left on the shelf.

If everyone is making a run to the gunstore, they'll attract two many zombies, in which case I'll find plenty of guns strewn about the rotting, half-eaten corpses of all the not-so-survivors.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on October 28, 2011, 12:05:12 PM
If everyone is making a run to the gunstore, they'll attract two many zombies, in which case I'll find plenty of guns strewn about the rotting, half-eaten corpses of all the not-so-survivors.

Yeah, guns jammed up and loaded with the wrong ammo because the people were trying to figure them out while getting eaten by zombies. You'll have a lot of work to do, and all while not waking up the zombies that are camped out there because they've figured out that guns attract people.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on October 28, 2011, 12:05:12 PM

I should think a horde of people with guns could take care of two zombies...

;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 28, 2011, 12:14:40 PM
Yeah, guns jammed up and loaded with the wrong ammo because the people were trying to figure them out while getting eaten by zombies. You'll have a lot of work to do, and all while not waking up the zombies that are camped out there because they've figured out that guns attract people.

Guns don't attract people, people attract people.  Hippie. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

New commercial guns are labeled for caliber. It only get tricky when dealing with older military stuff, where neither the rounds or the guns themselves say what they are in plain english.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 28, 2011, 05:51:35 PM
Plain Russian, maybe.

More like a complicated series of arrows and triangles and random symbols. Wartime ID marks were intentionally difficult to understand.

FlatBlackCaddy

I had an opportunity to shoot a glock 18 once, my godfather was a rep for glock in the late 90's and he had one for a few weeks. Tried like hell to meet up with him but he was really busy and we just never got a chance. Had a case with the 18 and 4 33 round clips with it, I think they gave him about a thousand rounds too.

Still pissed about that.

Morris Minor

Having just watched a couple of episodes of Walking Dead, I'm not sure firearms are the answer; the noise just attracts the hordes, who will overwhelm you once your ammo has run out.

You need something that causes massive head trauma, keeping you out of arm's reach, & doing the job silently.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rupert

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Sword. Anti-personnel mines are rather loud.

Eye of the Tiger

Swords are pretty loud, too.

Rupert

Nah. Unless the zombie has a metal plate in its head.

MX793

Claymores are kind of bulky and heavy and straight-bladed weapons aren't the greatest for cutting.  Katanas are a far more effective blade.  After all, they used to test their sharpness and quality by seeing how many people they could cut through in a single swipe.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Slicing through rotting flesh and bones
can be unexpectedly raucous.

hotrodalex

Rupert

Onslaught

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 13, 2011, 03:35:07 PM
I'll take a scimitar.
The ship from the last Star Trek The Next Gen movie?

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 13, 2011, 09:27:47 AM
Having just watched a couple of episodes  of Walking Dead, I'm not sure firearms are the answer; the noise just attracts the hordes, who will overwhelm you once your ammo has run out.

You need something that causes massive head trauma, keeping you out of arms reach , & doing the job silently.

Hence the suppressor.  As my local gun shop loves to exclaim, silencers are legal!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on November 13, 2011, 04:08:32 PM
Hence the suppressor.  As my local gun shop loves to exclaim, silencers are legal!

Silencers really don't make a weapon nearly as quiet as they do in the movies.  Especially if you're using regular ammo and not special, sub-sonic rounds (which lack take-down power).
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on November 13, 2011, 04:13:11 PM
Silencers really don't make a weapon nearly as quiet as they do in the movies.  Especially if you're using regular ammo and not special, sub-sonic rounds (which lack take-down power).

The weapons in my loadout aren't really all that loud to begin with; I'm sure it'll do the trick with a bunch of rotting corpses.

Remember, this is my primary weapon:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i