Can't decide

Started by SVT666, October 31, 2011, 11:14:49 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'd go for the G8. You'll see a Charger on every corner (including police cruisers) and the styling will grow old just as fast as the previous model did.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Get a Magnum SRT.  Those things were badass. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26025.msg1606865#msg1606865 date=1320201095
Get a Magnum SRT.  Those things were badass. 
The thought crosses my mind every time I see one, but the mileage blows.

S204STi

I'm still a huge fan of the G8, because it was probably the best car ever sold under the Pontiac brand, but the fact that it's discontinued and that parts come from the other hemisphere and across the pacific makes it hard for me to recommend it from a practical standpoint.  But if you feel you are able to find parts for it, then I'd go for it.  Just a heads up, GM is huge on networking things, and making them all interdependent, so things like the stereo are going to be a major hassle to repair and it's not as easy as putting a double-din aftermarket head unit in its place, trust me.  The radio is not only cosmetically the entire center console, it's also a module integrated with the onboard LAN, so it's not something to mess with too much. 

Onslaught

I wouldn't go for the G8. Not because I don't like the car because I think it's kind of cool. But if it's going to be something you use and need as a DD then it's taking a big risk that it won't turn into a problem down the road.
If you wanted a toy car and wanted a SKY or something that was just for fun then it be one thing. But a car you really need all the time is something different.

That's just my take on it anyway.

Vinsanity

I suspect Madman might have a thing or three to share about owning a captive import...

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on November 01, 2011, 08:03:09 PM
What does that mean? He has one and used the law to return it? What were the issues?

Multiple electrical and mechanical issues... The nail in the coffin was they couldn't get the sunroof to stop leaking
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2011, 07:40:20 PM
It's sexy alright and would be a consideration if the car was going to be driven by my wife for the vast majority of the time...but I really want RWD and over 300 hp
Are you gonna be drifting + doing many WOT runs?

What about a 335i? Boring to look at but seems to cover all the other bases.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 02, 2011, 08:21:37 AM
Are you gonna be drifting + doing many WOT runs?

What about a 335i? Boring to look at but seems to cover all the other bases.

He said too expensive, and it's pretty small.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

SVT666

It may or may not surprise you that the enthusiast in me is not listening to the practical part of me and the G8 is currently on the top of my list.  The availability of aftermarket parts for this car is staggering, the styling is fantastic, and I can always improve the handling (which is pretty good) with springs and dampers.  The rarity of the car is very attractive despite the possible headaches in getting body or chassis pieces if ever required.

r0tor

I'd personally take a 335i... It's just a beautiful dancing partner
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on November 03, 2011, 05:56:28 PM
I'd personally take a 335i... It's just a beautiful dancing partner
It's also $10K more.

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on November 03, 2011, 04:34:46 PM
It may or may not surprise you that the enthusiast in me is not listening to the practical part of me and the G8 is currently on the top of my list.  The availability of aftermarket parts for this car is staggering, the styling is fantastic, and I can always improve the handling (which is pretty good) with springs and dampers.  The rarity of the car is very attractive despite the possible headaches in getting body or chassis pieces if ever required.

I dig this.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on November 03, 2011, 04:34:46 PM
It may or may not surprise you that the enthusiast in me is not listening to the practical part of me and the G8 is currently on the top of my list.  The availability of aftermarket parts for this car is staggering, the styling is fantastic, and I can always improve the handling (which is pretty good) with springs and dampers.  The rarity of the car is very attractive despite the possible headaches in getting body or chassis pieces if ever required.

If anything happens you can just go with Vauxhaul/Holden/Chevy parts.  :lol:

BTW I saw a blue G8 GT today and it was smexy.

Also you could just get an auto GXP, but you'd have to buy one down here.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on November 03, 2011, 09:04:42 PM
If anything happens you can just go with Vauxhaul/Holden/Chevy parts.  :lol:

BTW I saw a blue G8 GT today and it was smexy.
Yeah, I really dig it in blue, white, and dark red.  But I think I like white the best.

68_427

Every once and a while I see an old couple romping around in a blue one.  Makes me smile.
'racecar is die'
no

thewizard16

Quote from: SVT666 on November 03, 2011, 09:15:11 PM
Yeah, I really dig it in blue, white, and dark red.  But I think I like white the best.

I like where your mind is at. Go for it! One of my neighbors up the street has a G8 in black, and it's a gorgeous car.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Vinsanity

Maybe the replacement parts issue won't be much of a problem once the Caprice cop cars start hitting the road

Eye of the Tiger

I serioudly would not worry about replacement parts.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

SVT666

Yeah, I won't be going over 45K miles.

Vinsanity

Quote from: SVT666 on November 04, 2011, 01:09:01 AM
Yeah, I won't be going over 45K miles.

If you have your heart set on a G8, you might want to pick one up sooner rather than later, then. They stopped selling them on this continent in 2009(?), and at that rate, the bulk of them will be reaching 45k miles during the coming year.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on October 31, 2011, 11:14:49 PM
It's hard to leave Ford because my SVTF, Explorer, Mustangs, Freestyle, and trucks were all trouble free.  Not a single repair (that wasn't related to maintenance) on any of the Fords I've ever owned, but Ford hasn't built a sedan I want to buy in...well...ever.

You might want to wait and see what the 2013 Fusion looks like.  Spy shots I've seen look pretty decent.

SVT666

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 04, 2011, 09:07:24 AM
You might want to wait and see what the 2013 Fusion looks like.  Spy shots I've seen look pretty decent.
FWD V6.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 04, 2011, 09:01:48 AM
If you have your heart set on a G8, you might want to pick one up sooner rather than later, then. They stopped selling them on this continent in 2009(?), and at that rate, the bulk of them will be reaching 45k miles during the coming year.
There are hundreds of them for sale right now across the US with under 30,000. 

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 68_427 on November 04, 2011, 11:06:05 AM
Any auto GXPs?
I found 4 on Ebay. They where in the 28-32k range.

68_427

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 04, 2011, 12:12:07 PM
I found 4 on Ebay. They where in the 28-32k range.

One silver and three red?  I saw them too.  :lol:
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on November 03, 2011, 06:07:16 PM
It's also $10K more.
You're already talking about aftermarket parts....

335i is much better in bang for buck dept for go fastness, between the 400lb weight advantage and cheap bo0st options.

Prob won't need much, if any, suspension work either.

Just sayin :huh:"