Subaru BRZ concept

Started by 2o6, November 01, 2011, 09:46:16 AM

Vinsanity

$28k? For that price, I'd be more likely to buy a 250Z if Nissan randomly decides to make one, and much more likely to buy a nicely equipped V6 Gen Coupe.

Onslaught

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 01, 2011, 02:54:48 PM
I bet you would if your car got 1mpg.

If I'm choosing between 225hp 2800lb cars, I'm getting the one that gets 30mpg highway vs 22 highway.  8mpg on the highway is a huge difference.
Well if I had the money to buy a car that only got 1MPG then it wouldn't matter to me. It be some super-mega-hyper exotic. If I could buy it then I'd laugh at the MPG.

As it is I buy cars 35K and under and laugh at their MPG.

Rupert

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 01, 2011, 02:57:30 PM
$28k? For that price, I'd be more likely to buy a 250Z if Nissan randomly decides to make one, and much more likely to buy a nicely equipped V6 Gen Coupe.

Yeah, I can think of better ways to spend $28k. A good used buy in five years, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on November 01, 2011, 02:57:08 PM
Right, but he's saying that there are surely practical things that you consider when buying a car. You don't care about mileage, but I bet you care about leg room.
You're talking to a man who's 6"4' and drove an MX-5 as his only car for over 13 years. Do you really think I take practical things into consideration?

Rich

Quote from: Onslaught on November 01, 2011, 02:56:36 PM
That's not really cheap! I mean I can take my 8 to a track and beat the snot out of it all day and not need to buy $500 worth of stuff to make that ok.
Not that I'm not a fan of the 370Z. As a mater of fact I really like that car. But I've been reading some negative things about it from people who take
them to the track.

$500?  On a 29k car?  Not cheap?  LMAO.  Shit, that's the price of most bluetooth packages.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Onslaught

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 01, 2011, 03:00:32 PM
$500?  On a 29k car?  Not cheap?  LMAO.  Shit, that's the price of most bluetooth packages.
I'm just saying that you shouldn't need to buy parts to make a sports car go to a track day.
To be a track day car then yea, you'll buy all kinds of shit. But just to go here and there for
fun? Don't think so.

Rupert

Quote from: Onslaught on November 01, 2011, 03:00:31 PM
You're talking to a man who's 6"4' and drove an MX-5 as his only car for over 13 years. Do you really think I take practical things into consideration?

Then why aren't you driving a Seven clone or an Atom or an Elise?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rich

Quote from: Rupert on November 01, 2011, 02:59:24 PM
Yeah, I can think of better ways to spend $28k. A good used buy in five years, though.

+ a billion

This thing will be tearing up the autoXs in a few years.  I'm excited there's another option out there, though.

TBH, I'd rather get one of these over a gen coupe, since the Gen coupe does weight quite a bit more.  But I'm sure there's other people out there that'd rather have a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger V6 or Genesis Coupe.  The choices out there are awesome.  I love how in this down economy the automakers are still catering to enthusiasts pretty well.  I'd give them all a hug if I could.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on November 01, 2011, 02:56:36 PM
That's not really cheap! I mean I can take my 8 to a track and beat the snot out of it all day and not need to buy $500 worth of stuff to make that ok.
Not that I'm not a fan of the 370Z. As a mater of fact I really like that car. But I've been reading some negative things about it from people who take
them to the track.
$500 is not that much. You spend about that much more on gas in a year than a dude w/a 370Z

And given the amount of mental hardware out there practical considerations had to factor somewhere into your car choices.

Rupert

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 01, 2011, 03:04:41 PM
+ a billion

This thing will be tearing up the autoXs in a few years.  I'm excited there's another option out there, though.

TBH, I'd rather get one of these over a gen coupe, since the Gen coupe does weight quite a bit more.  But I'm sure there's other people out there that'd rather have a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger V6 or Genesis Coupe.  The choices out there are awesome.  I love how in this down economy the automakers are still catering to enthusiasts pretty well.  I'd give them all a hug if I could.

You could just head down to the dealer and give the nearest salesman a hug. :huh:

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on November 01, 2011, 03:03:24 PM
Then why aren't you driving a Seven clone or an Atom or an Elise?
I'd love an Atom. I'd like to have one one day but they do cost more then I pay for cars.

Not a fan of the way the Seven looks,

Could get an Elise too. But I know people with them and body parts cost so much that even a little hit will total one.

And to tell you the truth I'd rather have an FD RX-7 or NSX then any of the cars you listed.

CALL_911

I don't know why, but I've never completely warmed to the Genesis Coupe.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rich

There was a 2.0T Genesis Coupe out at the autocross this past weekend.  I beat it :devil:

Was awesome seeing it.  Nice to see something other than an Evo/WRX/Miata/Corvette out there.

Rupert

Quote from: Onslaught on November 01, 2011, 03:08:28 PM
I'd love an Atom. I'd like to have one one day but they do cost more then I pay for cars.

Not a fan of the way the Seven looks,

Could get an Elise too. But I know people with them and body parts cost so much that even a little hit will total one.

And to tell you the truth I'd rather have an FD RX-7 or NSX then any of the cars you listed.

That's a practical consideration.

Anyway, I kind of agree with you, so this argument is pointless. :lol:

68_427

According to Motortrend Subaru said the BRZ will weigh 2500lbs.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Quote from: 68_427 on November 01, 2011, 03:21:58 PM

Jeez, that's lighter than an S2000. If all these stats are true, then this will be quite a low-volume car. The people buying V6 pony cars definitely won't be looking at this (especially those lumbering around in Challengers)

CALL_911

2500 lbs?!?!?!?!?! Wow, I would love to own one of these.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Well I'm sure that's for a possible lighter STi version.  They predict the BRZ to be about 3,000 units a year a guess.
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on November 01, 2011, 04:07:31 PM
Well I'm sure that's for a possible lighter STi version.  They predict the BRZ to be about 3,000 units a year a guess.
3,000 or 30,000?

r0tor

Quote from: 68_427 on November 01, 2011, 03:21:58 PM

I call bullcrap... The only lightweight body panel on the thing is the hood... Everything else is steel
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on November 01, 2011, 04:36:38 PM
I call bullcrap... The only lightweight body panel on the thing is the hood... Everything else is steel

Like I said they were probably talking the STi version, which is probably going to be mostly aluminum, sports seats, lighter wheels...  I don't believe it either but if they can pull it off that'd be sweet.
'racecar is die'
no

Onslaught

I also call BS. I'll be happy if I'm wrong. But BS I say.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 68_427 on November 01, 2011, 04:48:57 PM
Like I said they were probably talking the STi version, which is probably going to be mostly aluminum, sports seats, lighter wheels...  I don't believe it either but if they can pull it off that'd be sweet.
Itll cost like 90K if true.

Not even UHS steel can drop that much weight.

Truthfully I'd rather the car be conventional + cheap than another Solstice. Even still they can keep the footprint small and keep weight low. Think modern AE86.

MrH

The cheap toyota version is 2,667 lbs.  I'm guessing Subaru's STI version will be about the same.  Some weight savings in the wheels, seats, etc (maybe aluminum doors and fenders), but will be offset by the turbo setup.

:rockon:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

I like it, but sadly it'll be $40k plus up here.  :frown:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2111

Supposedly MT quotes a 2500 pound weight for the production BRZ.  If that is true, I'll be all over this car.  2500 pounds and 200hp gives it a power to weight ratio around that of V6 Altima and V6 Camrys, which will all trap around 100mph through the quarter mile, which is decently fast. 

FlatBlackCaddy

28K is too much.

When hyundai redoes the genesis it will no doubt offer much more for less(in base form) and probably top spec as well.

Even subaru would offer a no brainer competitor in the base wrx.

Also, the modification thing is BS. How will a N/A 2.0 take to modifications well?

Would it be like a honda, for 2K I should be able to coax 20-30HP out of it. Awesome. :rolleyes:

MrH

Guys, the subaru version is supposed to be turbocharged.  Everything I read said this "STI" version is supposed to be just a hair under 300 hp...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on November 01, 2011, 09:06:29 PM
Guys, the subaru version is supposed to be turbocharged.  Everything I read said this "STI" version is supposed to be just a hair under 300 hp...

That's good, as long as the base turbo checks in just over 30 it should be ok.