Build a brand new 64.5-66 mustang convertible

Started by FoMoJo, November 01, 2011, 01:55:07 PM

FoMoJo

An interesting concept for hobbiests or custom car builders.

Ford releases unpainted bodies for classic Mustang convertibles

The automaker is offering unpainted body shells that can be made into 1964 1/2, 1965 or 1966 Mustang convertibles, depending on the restoration parts and powertrain that the buyer installs during the rebuild.

But unlike a restoration, the metal is new and the welds solid, making it a durable template for those wanting an alternative way to relive their youth.

The body shell for the original Mustang convertible is now in production and is sold as a Ford-licensed restoration part by Dynacorn International.

The '65 Mustang body shell starts at $15,000. It includes the doors and trunk lid and all the sheet metal from the radiator support to the taillight panel, except the hood and front fenders, which are available separately.

Those who buy a shell can choose to buy new a powertrain, suspension and brakes, electrical systems, interior and trim ? or transfer original parts from another car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Cookie Monster

Damn that's expensive.

Also it means the car wouldn't be all original anymore. It's a good option for restomods I guess.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FoMoJo

I guess most who did this would resto-mod it. 

Finding an existing car in a bone yard and restoring it to new would likely cost as much or more.  While there are a lot of 64-66 Mustangs for sale starting around $10k, I expect they would need a lot of work and $$ to get them anywhere close to mint.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

SVT666

It cost my buddy $80,000 to restore his 1966 Stang to showroom condition.  It was pretty rough when he started though.

Rupert

This is the way to go for a restomod, for sure. Don't worry about rust, don't have to strip the car. Just buy this and a donor car (or two) and go to town.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

I've been looking at this, but they're also going to do a first gen Bronco, which is way tempting as well.

If I were to buy one, it'd be the base for a retro-rally car (which is a part of Mustang history almost unknown in the states).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on November 01, 2011, 02:12:30 PM
Damn that's expensive.

Also it means the car wouldn't be all original anymore. It's a good option for restomods I guess.

It wouldn't be original at all, which in a way is kind of liberating.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2011, 03:02:21 PM
It cost my buddy $80,000 to restore his 1966 Stang to showroom condition.  It was pretty rough when he started though.

Exactly. To start with an average donor car and get it to the point where its a perfectly clean and stripped body shell will be every bit of $15,000.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on November 01, 2011, 03:05:22 PM
This is the way to go for a restomod, for sure. Don't worry about rust, don't have to strip the car. Just buy this and a donor car (or two) and go to town.
A first gen Bronco would be effin cool.

Vinsanity

might as well use this kit to build an RB26-powered drift car :mask:

Payman

Factory Five Cobra. $12,995.

But, it's nice to have this bodyshell option if you wanted to restore a rotten Mustang. I see that Camaro and GTO shells are cheaper.

r0tor

I see the price of restored mustangs decreasing drastically from this... Which I really don't care about since I always thought it was retarded how much money old muscle cars were going for at auctions
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2011, 08:02:49 PM
It wouldn't be original at all, which in a way is kind of liberating.

A car is only original once.  No restored car is original, the only question is how much is replaced and how much was there originally during a restoration.

I'm reminded of the story of grand dad's old ax.  We replaced the handle twice and the head just once, but it's still grand dad's old ax.

Wanna restore an E-type Jaguar.  About the only thing that needs to be original (that was on the car that rolled out the factory door) is the data plate.  You can replace every other part and it's still that car, restored.

The four numbers were hand stamped, btw.  If you use a reproduction plate like the one shown it's good form to stamp them a bit sloppy, just like the factory did.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on November 02, 2011, 12:07:55 AM
Factory Five Cobra. $12,995.

But, it's nice to have this bodyshell option if you wanted to restore a rotten Mustang. I see that Camaro and GTO shells are cheaper.
The way the article is written it sounds like the frame is included, though it doesn't actually state that.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT666 on November 02, 2011, 09:37:15 AM
The way the article is written it sounds like the frame is included, though it doesn't actually state that.
Mustang used a unitized platform type frame so I expect it would be part of the package.  However, it says the hood and front fenders aren't included but are available.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2011, 08:02:03 PM
I've been looking at this, but they're also going to do a first gen Bronco, which is way tempting as well.

If I were to buy one, it'd be the base for a retro-rally car (which is a part of Mustang history almost unknown in the states).
A first gen Bronco is one of my 'dream' cars/trucks.

I know there was a "Rally Pac" option available but I don't know about a factory rally car.

sportyaccordy

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 02, 2011, 10:04:13 AM

Mine too.  I would go full restomod though.  Modern powertrain, seats, etc.

GoCougs

Anyone who has ever worked on an old car would welcome this as a dream. Sigh - I hate convertibles though...

It won't change the market price a bit; more than 600,000 Mustangs were built the first year and it's one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, car of the area still on the road today.

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 02, 2011, 09:52:10 AM
Mustang used a unitized platform type frame so I expect it would be part of the package.  However, it says the hood and front fenders aren't included but are available.

My understanding is it's ready for paint and the owner to start bolting on the suspension and drivetrain.

shp4man

Interesting. Ford has always maintained a relatively comprehensive parts availability for the first gen Mustangs. I had a '66 coupe at one time in the '90's. It was a good daily driver.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on November 02, 2011, 01:14:07 PM
Anyone who has ever worked on an old car would welcome this as a dream. Sigh - I hate convertibles though...

It won't change the market price a bit; more than 600,000 Mustangs were built the first year and it's one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, car of the area still on the road today.

Yea, this is a good idea. However I don't hate convertibles. I'd rather see a roof on it myself however because I don't think the old Mustang convertibles look very good.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 02, 2011, 10:04:13 AM

I know there was a "Rally Pac" option available but I don't know about a factory rally car.

The Mustang replaced the Ford Falcon Sprint as the Ford factory (really Holman Moody) effort in the Monte Carlo Rally for '65 - '67.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on November 06, 2011, 03:15:56 PM
Yea, this is a good idea. However I don't hate convertibles. I'd rather see a roof on it myself however because I don't think the old Mustang convertibles look very good.

Looking at the Dynacorn website, they have both fixed and convertible versions from 64.5 to 69.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 02, 2011, 06:39:32 AM
A car is only original once.  No restored car is original, the only question is how much is replaced and how much was there originally during a restoration.

Okay fine, it wouldn't be a restoration, it would be a replica.

VTEC_Inside

Does seem a little pricey.

Honda is apparently going to start selling Civic coupe "body in white" shells for race teams, etc... for only $3500.

I know its an apples/oranges thing, but thats quite a difference in price. Although I suppose its much easier to pull finished shells off the current assembly line than doing a smaller run of a 40+ yr old chassis.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 06, 2011, 09:53:50 PM

Honda is apparently going to start selling Civic coupe "body in white" shells for race teams, etc... for only $3500.

I know its an apples/oranges thing, but thats quite a difference in price. Although I suppose its much easier to pull finished shells off the current assembly line than doing a smaller run of a 40+ yr old chassis.

You also don't see many people doing concourse grade restorations of Civics that cost $70-80,000.

Vinsanity

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 06, 2011, 09:53:50 PM

hmm...I wonder how easy it would be to stuff the F20C motor and S2000 drivetrain in that body...