Shopping list for my parents

Started by 2o6, November 03, 2011, 03:09:44 PM

omicron

Quote from: 2o6 on November 08, 2011, 10:38:08 PM

None. Just my mother and father. These cars are all pretty good, with some exceptions.

No minivans for them. Eighty-seven seats are for people with a constant urge to reproduce.

2o6

Quote from: omicron on November 08, 2011, 10:48:02 PM
No minivans for them. Eighty-seven seats are for people with a constant urge to reproduce.

Gas mileage is the same or better with more space.

omicron

Quote from: 2o6 on November 08, 2011, 10:51:57 PM

Gas mileage is the same or better with more space.

Space for what? People who aren't there? A good wagon will have just as much room for people and probably more room for things, and it's the room for things that I assume they'll need. An SUV - fine, I certainly get the seating position argument, and there'll be lots of room for things if the seats go down, but a minivan? Sledgehammer to hit in a nail, methinks.

2o6

Quote from: omicron on November 08, 2011, 11:00:52 PM
Space for what? People who aren't there? A good wagon will have just as much room for people and probably more room for things, and it's the room for things that I assume they'll need. An SUV - fine, I certainly get the seating position argument, and there'll be lots of room for things if the seats go down, but a minivan? Sledgehammer to hit in a nail, methinks.

I wish people would stop touting a station wagon as a better alternative to an SUV or Minivan. It isn't. It still typically has low hip points and a farther lower seating position. Seating position is more upright and the ride (in my experience) tends to be softer and more isolated in an SUV or minivan in comparison to a wagon.

They aren't interchangeable.

A Minivan offers more space than an SUV while turning somewhat similar economy numbers, but having more space.

2o6

Anybody know anything about these?

Interior space seems a bit limited for a minivan.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on November 08, 2011, 10:38:08 PM
How in the same sentence can you say a CR-V is hideous, then recommend an old Simca?

Design is subjective.

The CR-V is boring, ugly and uninspired to my eyes. The Matra Rancho looks awesome. I had three of them as Matchbox cars as a kid that served to make me like the design even more!  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on November 08, 2011, 11:08:23 PM
Anybody know anything about these?

Interior space seems a bit limited for a minivan.

Yeah, but they're not looking for the interior space of a minivan, just the high seating position. More significantly, they have reliability issues, like all the other $8,000 vans -- a better year-by-year record than a Kia Sedona, but an $8,000 one is older, canceling that out.

Keeping in mind that they don't seem concerned about massive-van space, I'm going to bring up the Kia Rondo again, and you might even be able to find a Mazda5 on the top end of the price bracket if they don't mind the sliding doors.