Shopping list for my parents

Started by 2o6, November 03, 2011, 03:09:44 PM

2o6

Been posting about it a little in the chat, and "Driven Today" threads, but I'm trying to get a list for my parents to look at. They really don't care how it drives, just that it works and they are comfortable.

They've finally given me a price range, so for about 8K, I have to find them some sort of vehicle (mom does not want a sedan, so pretty much SUV's) that is suitable for them

My list, from what I think would be most desirable to least desirable

Mistubishi Endeavor

+ Loads of space, feels bigger than it is, stellar depreciation means cheap to buy, pretty good reliability record
- No third row (not a requirement, but it certainly would help)

Ford Freestyle

+ 3rd row, loads of space, pretty cheap, standard AWD
- Somewhat close to the ground (mom prefers sitting up high), CVT transmission makes me nervous about reliability and servicing issues

Honda Pilot

+ Everything. seems to be perfect
- Ones in this price range tend to be higher mileage

Chrysler Pacifica

+Roomy, cheap, well equipped and comfortable
- Reliability seems to be questionable, close to the ground, hard to see out of

Nissan Murano

+ Mom loves the design, seemingly all of them are well equipped, smooth and fast, very luxurious
- CVT reliability, no 3rd row

Chevrolet Equinox

+ Farily roomy, and feels bigger than it is, seemingly cheap
- MPG's seem to be mediocre for such a small car, no 3rd row

Ford Escape/Mazda tribute

+ Cheap, reliable, decent amount of space, easy to drive
- Parents (mom) may think it's too small, no 3rd row, pretty spartan inside

Honda CR-V

+ Rock solid reliability reputation, easy to drive
- Expensive, parents may think it is too small, driving position is fairly carlike, no 3rd row

Buick Rendezvous

+ Fairly luxurious, mom seems to like them, pretty cheap
- Some potential reliability issues, three family friends have one

Saturn VUE

+ Mom's work friend has an Opel-Saturn Green Line - she loves her car, fair amount of space, feels bigger then it really is, pretty cheap
- Slow, annoying nerve-racking twitchy steering, unreliable (reputation), cheap and nasty inside, no 3rd row

Any other cars that I should take into consideration?

ifcar

With the first-generation Vue, there was a mid-cycle major upgrade to the interior. Not that I'd recommend it anyway, but that's not necessarily a con.

If you skip the third row, a Jeep Liberty or Hyundai Santa Fe could both be decent choices.

If they do want something Freestyle size, have they specifically ruled out minivans?

Cookie Monster

Mitsubishi Outlander? Subaru Forester?

Although those could both be "too carlike" for your mom I guess.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Secret Chimp

With the way your family is car-tarded I wouldn't touch the Freestyle with a ten foot pole. Though the CVT does work well and is largely non-motorboaty based on the mid-00s Five Hundred I drove recently (95k).

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

I've driven a Freestyle, I think it's a great car.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on November 03, 2011, 03:51:31 PM
With the first-generation Vue, there was a mid-cycle major upgrade to the interior. Not that I'd recommend it anyway, but that's not necessarily a con.

If you skip the third row, a Jeep Liberty or Hyundai Santa Fe could both be decent choices.

If they do want something Freestyle size, have they specifically ruled out minivans?

Santa Fe seems more expensive, and the Liberty is pretty crappy and small.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2011, 05:14:37 PM

Santa Fe seems more expensive, and the Liberty is pretty crappy and small.

A Santa Fe wouldn't be priced in the same range as a Freestyle, for sure.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on November 03, 2011, 05:15:30 PM
A Santa Fe wouldn't be priced in the same range as a Freestyle, for sure.

I drove a 2.7L Santa Fe, it's a really nice vehicle, but it's also more expensive.

ifcar

I'm not sure if Santa Fes are just super-expensive in your area or everything else is just super-cheap, but $8,000 seems to buy a low-mileage decently equipped 2004 Santa Fe in D.C.

ifcar

Also, availability might be an issue, but see if you can find a Kia Rondo.

Secret Chimp

Only old people seemed to buy the Rondo in Ohio. Probably good for second ownership...

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on November 03, 2011, 05:31:24 PM
I'm not sure if Santa Fes are just super-expensive in your area or everything else is just super-cheap, but $8,000 seems to buy a low-mileage decently equipped 2004 Santa Fe in D.C.

'04? How good are those? They seem to be "old hyundai" inside and out. Really cheap and nasty inside.

What about these?

ifcar

I thought your parents only cared if it's big, it works, and it's comfortable, and the Santa Fe meets those.

The old Tuscon/Sportage are among the smallest small SUVs out there, so if they wouldn't like an Escape for its size they wouldn't go for one of those.

2o6

They don't always like logical sense. They actually think a Scion xB would be a good car for them (I agree, I think it would be; but don't say the xB is super roomy then turn your nose up at an Escape)

The Santa Fe (old) seems far too cheap to be a consideration...

ifcar

The xB has a roomier feel to the passenger compartment than the Escape, just less cargo room. Much less, if we're talking about the first generation.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on November 03, 2011, 06:26:45 PM
The xB has a roomier feel to the passenger compartment than the Escape, just less cargo room. Much less, if we're talking about the first generation.

Yeah, the 2nd Gen.

Really, I need to get them out to see these cars. Everything is a step up from a V6 Econoline that can't do 70MPH.

SVT666

Endeavor is a POS.  Freestyle is fantastic and the CVT was bulletproof for the 3 years we had ours.  Escape is excellent as well.

SVT666

Stay away from older Kias.  Two words: Tin can. 

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on November 03, 2011, 07:22:53 PM
Endeavor is a POS.  Freestyle is fantastic and the CVT was bulletproof for the 3 years we had ours.  Escape is excellent as well.

What's wrong with the Endeavor? I liked it, and it's pretty cheap for a newer model.

Quote from: SVT666 on November 03, 2011, 07:25:36 PM

Yeah, I agree.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2011, 07:25:58 PM
What's wrong with the Endeavor? I liked it, and it's pretty cheap for a newer model.
I drove one for two days and it was terrible.  Two years ago I drove an Outlander for a week and I hated every minute of it.  I also don't trust Mitsubishi to build a reliable product.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on November 03, 2011, 07:25:36 PM

Unless you're going all the way back to the first-gen Spectra or Rio, older Kias' problem tended to be the opposite: too heavy, not too light.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on November 03, 2011, 07:57:51 PM
Unless you're going all the way back to the first-gen Spectra or Rio, older Kias' problem tended to be the opposite: too heavy, not too light.
I never said too light.  When I say "tin can", I mean POS.  When you shut the door and it sounded hollow.

2o6

I think I may put the Sienna and Odyssey on the list.

CJ

Sienna, sure. Odyssey? HELL no. Unless you want to replace the transmission multiple times, then no.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on November 07, 2011, 06:22:05 PM
I think I may put the Sienna and Odyssey on the list.
Odyssey is very reliable.  Both of those are good choices.

ifcar

Good luck for $8,000. Unfortunately, all the cheap minivans have some reliability issues -- the Honda and Toyota are awfully old at those prices, and the others just have issues.

SVT666

I agree.  $8000 isn't very much.  I'll sell them my SVT Focus for $8000. :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

I'm amazed at how ugly all of those choices are with the exception of the Ford Freestyle (and even the Chrysler Pacifica looks halfway decent amongst that crowd).

The worst styling offenders here are the Honda CR-V, Saturn Vue, Buick Rendezvous, Honda Pilot and the winner of most hideous car in this crowd award goes to the Mitsubishi Endeavor. It's an Endeavor to even look at that thing without raping your eyes!  :mask:

Honestly, if your parents wanted something fun, free-spirited and spacious, nothing beats a classic Matra/Talbot Rancho.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

omicron

Yecch. Dysentery, cholera or genital warts?

How many 2o6ettes are to be transported in this vehicle for disease?

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 08, 2011, 01:46:09 PM
I'm amazed at how ugly all of those choices are with the exception of the Ford Freestyle (and even the Chrysler Pacifica looks halfway decent amongst that crowd).

The worst styling offenders here are the Honda CR-V, Saturn Vue, Buick Rendezvous, Honda Pilot and the winner of most hideous car in this crowd award goes to the Mitsubishi Endeavor. It's an Endeavor to even look at that thing without raping your eyes!  :mask:

Honestly, if your parents wanted something fun, free-spirited and spacious, nothing beats a classic Matra/Talbot Rancho.  :praise:

How in the same sentence can you say a CR-V is hideous, then recommend an old Simca?

Quote from: omicron on November 08, 2011, 10:06:13 PM
Yecch. Dysentery, cholera or genital warts?

How many 2o6ettes are to be transported in this vehicle for disease?

None. Just my mother and father. These cars are all pretty good, with some exceptions.