Camaro ZL1... something wicked this way comes.

Started by Payman, November 14, 2011, 08:45:26 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on November 15, 2011, 05:40:18 PM
I agree that driver, weather, temp and all kinds of shit can make a big difference. That said, this is a fast fucking lap.

Agreed. I honestly doubt anybody is trying to decide on whether to buy a Camaro or a 599 based on this, but for the Camaro to even be listed in the same vicinity is bragging rights enough.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

So many variables. Who's to say the Audi R8 was run by Walter Rorhl, in perfect conditions, while the Camaro was run by a mullet wearing Jim Bob in damp conditions... it can work both ways. Also remember, the times I listed from the chart are the fastest laps ever done by these cars. The fastest time laid down by a Ford GT was exactly one second faster than the Camaro (7:40).

NomisR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2011, 05:49:22 PM
Every 'Ring time is like that, and people love to use those as standards.

I really wonder for whom these lap times make a difference, as far as actually pushing the button

Also, isn't there a lot of different configurations for the ring?

Payman

Quote from: NomisR on November 15, 2011, 05:58:35 PM

Yes, but for comparison purposes, and using Stefan Bellof's 1983 record of 6:11 as a baseline, the 12.7 mile Nordshleife is used, very close to what it was then except for a few minor changes (dangerous bumps removed, a few corners adjusted for safety). There are separate records for the Sudshleife (abandoned), the F1 track built in 1994, and the entire 17+ miles.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NomisR on November 15, 2011, 05:58:35 PM
Not a lot, but enough to make a difference.

The concept of bragging about what your car *could* do is asinine anyway. "This thing clears the 'Ring faster than a GT-R". Right, in capable hands. Most people can't drive worth a damn, and most people will never set foot on a road course. So all that potential is wasted. And within the realm of the street, aside from illegal hoonery, its prob not far off from a stock armored truck Z28. So IDK

Cookie Monster

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2011, 06:34:35 PM

The concept of bragging about what your car *could* do is asinine anyway. "This thing clears the 'Ring faster than a GT-R". Right, in capable hands. Most people can't drive worth a damn, and most people will never set foot on a road course. So all that potential is wasted. And within the realm of the street, aside from illegal hoonery, its prob not far off from a stock armored truck Z28. So IDK
By that measure, most people aren't skilled enough to reach max slalom speed or even match 0-60 times, so we shouldn't compare those either. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on November 15, 2011, 06:35:55 PM
By that measure, most people aren't skilled enough to reach max slalom speed or even match 0-60 times, so we shouldn't compare those either. :huh:
Well I mean, those at least tell you some aspect of a car's performance. But you're right in that specs don't really tell much about a car's character. I mean a Megane Trophy, NSX-R and M6 all lap in the 8:09 range... but would you call the cars competitors? Similar in character? Is there anything revealed about how the cars drive from that time? It's a lil silly to me, as far as the importance put on it. I mean I'm curious to see how the new Rustang does, but I have no desire or use for either car

Payman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2011, 06:34:35 PM

The concept of bragging about what your car *could* do is asinine anyway. "This thing clears the 'Ring faster than a GT-R". Right, in capable hands. Most people can't drive worth a damn, and most people will never set foot on a road course. So all that potential is wasted. And within the realm of the street, aside from illegal hoonery, its prob not far off from a stock armored truck
Z28. So IDK

So, there's no point in testing and comparing cars?

Look, yes there are many variables that affect lap times. But consider this: take the qualifying times for a particular F1 track, over the last 10 years so 10 different temperatures and weather conditions (except for wet tracks) can be analyzed. Throw in all the different F1 cars in that time, with all the different drivers. You probably won't find more than 5 seconds difference between the slowest and fastest times.

Payman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2011, 06:44:41 PM
Well I mean, those at least tell you some aspect of a car's performance. But you're right in that specs don't really tell much about a car's character. I mean a Megane Trophy, NSX-R and M6 all lap in the 8:09 range... but would you call the cars competitors? Similar in character? Is there anything revealed about how the cars drive from that time? It's a lil silly to me.

Of course not, and no they aren't competitors. But it's a pretty good thing for Chevy to be able to brag that its redneck muscle car beat a $400,000 Ferrari around the world's most famous racetrack.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2011, 06:44:56 PM
So, there's no point in testing and comparing cars?

Look, yes there are many variables that affect lap times. But consider this: take the qualifying times for a particular F1 track, over the last 10 years so 10 different temperatures and weather conditions (except for wet tracks) can be analyzed. Throw in all the different F1 cars in that time, with all the different drivers. You probably won't find more than 5 seconds difference between the slowest and fastest times.
Right, but that's F1 racing. The whole point of it is to do a lap in the fastest time within the allowed rules. To me personally that is not the point or source of enjoyment of a street car.

You're right in that it's a good achievement for the company, but it doesn't necessarily mean this thing will be a great car for the consumer.

Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2011, 06:47:39 PM
Of course not, and no they aren't competitors. But it's a pretty good thing for Chevy to be able to brag that its redneck muscle car beat a $400,000 Ferrari around the world's most famous racetrack.
Well I don't think it really puts a dent in Ferrari's armor.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2011, 05:36:13 PM
None of this lessens the impressivness of the time laid down by a 4120 lb muscle car.

It does, if you hate the Camaro with every ounce of your being.

Payman

Well, compare the ZL1 time to it's competition. The only thing remotely close is the CTS-V at 7:59. What this tells me, if I were in the market for a $50,000 muscle car, is that the ZL1 is quite the handler, beating much more expensive pure sportscars and exotics in a (grantedly) rough comparison of their abilities. This is valuable info for me, and perhaps enough to justify buying one over anything else in its market and price range. "This thing did 7:41 around the 'Ring" is a pretty good pride of ownership statement.

sportyaccordy

Id much rather the CTS... just an all around better car

Payman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2011, 07:31:25 PM

I like the V as well, but it's too early to say that. GM obviously did something magical with the ZL1, and until I read a proper road test, I won't pass judgement yet.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2011, 07:31:25 PM

More luxurious? Yes. More practical? Yes (but only the sedan). Better performer? No. Better chassis? No. Better drive train? No.

But I too would probably opt for the CTS-V sedan over the ZL1, but only because it's a four-door.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 15, 2011, 07:15:22 PM
It does, if you hate the Camaro with every ounce of your being.
Nope.  It's fucking impressive...but I bet the GT500 knocks at least 10 seconds off that time.

SVT666

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

I want a '69 Olds Vista Cruiser with the CTS-V engine and suspension in it.   :wub:

Gotta-Qik-C7

If it was a M3, GT-R or Cayman that put up this time it would be a circle fuck of praise! But since it's "just" a rednack Chevy all the haters wanna cry about differant drivers and track condition. The fact is the fucking car goes like crack through an inner city ghetto and haters will find any lil reason (thank God it doesn't have the seats outta the Corvette) to talk negative.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 15, 2011, 08:13:57 PM
If it was a M3, GT-R or Cayman that put up this time it would be a circle fuck of praise! But since it's "just" a rednack Chevy all the haters wanna cry about differant drivers and track condition. The fact is the fucking car goes like crack through an inner city ghetto and haters will find any lil reason (thank God it doesn't have the seats outta the Corvette) to talk negative.

It weighs too much and i don't like the texture of the plastic used on the dashboard.

Payman

:hesaid:

GoCougs

Yup.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 15, 2011, 08:16:11 PM
It weighs too much and i don't like the texture of the plastic used on the dashboard.

This is either an extremely craft post, or not.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on November 15, 2011, 08:18:59 PM
This is either an extremely craft post, or not.

The hood/fender body gaps are too wide and make it look like a kit car.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 15, 2011, 08:20:47 PM
The hood/fender body gaps are too wide and make it look like a kit car.

The cup holders are too small and the steering wheel is ugly.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on November 15, 2011, 08:30:20 PM
The cup holders are too small and the steering wheel is ugly.

The horn sounds like a gay flatulent moose.

SVT666

Of course.  I'm a hater, but this time is astonishing.  With an additional 100 hp though, the GT500 should easily beat this time.  I find it funny that Cougs hasn't chimed in with Sporty though since he has in the past when it is a car he doesn't like.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 15, 2011, 08:30:57 PM
The horn sounds like a gay flatulent moose.

The shifter feels lousy and IRS is bad for drag racing.