2012 BMW 550dx (AWD only)

Started by cawimmer430, November 22, 2011, 05:43:48 PM

cawimmer430

2012 BMW 550dx to be AWD torquemonster with 516 lb-ft

A BMW dealer in the Netherlands has leaked what it says is a tasty bit of information on the upcoming diesel 5 Series. According to 5post.com, the vehicle will boast a tri-turbo inline six-cylinder oil burner good for around 381 horsepower. That number is a far cry from the 500-pony speculation that had been making the rounds until recently, but that doesn't mean that the big 5 Series will be any slouch on the road. The dealer also let slip that the vehicle will arrive packing 516 pound-feet of torque, which should be more than enough for the big sedan's all-wheel drive system to rip up massive handfuls of asphalt to throw at lesser machinery.

Speaking of all-wheel drive, word has it that the 550d will only be available with all four corners turning, at least initially. Production is set to kick off in March of next year, and true to form, there's no telling whether or not the big, powerful diesel will be available to U.S. buyers. There's also some indication that this potent engine will show up in hardware like the next-generation BMW X5 and X6, though there are no fuel economy estimates to be had at this time. Presumably, a Touring variant like the one shown above will be on offer overseas, as well, making it this Bimmer a covet-worthy alternative to a premium crossover.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/22/2...ith-516-lb-ft/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

thewizard16

Impressive. That'd be fun to play with I bet. How much are those going to cost, though?
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

CJ

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Mustangfan2003

Should make some pretty good burnouts with that torque, that is if it was rwd. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on November 22, 2011, 07:09:04 PM
Meh. 550i makes more power

And it's soooooooooo pure to! RWD!

None of that AWD poseur shit!  :winkguy:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

M550d xDrive.

381hp, and 740Nm (545lb/ft) at 2000rpm. Three turbochargers, two of them using variable turbine technology. Plus three intercoolers. 0-62mph is done in 4.7s. Average consumption is given at 6.3L/100km (37.3mpg US) in the combined EU cycle.

The hp could be a tad higher.

Colonel Cadillac

Galaxy

One month later, the same engine will be released in the X5, and X6.

cawimmer430

Why does Europe always get the cool stuff?  :cry:

Oh wait.  :praise:  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

hounddog

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

sportyaccordy

Why would anyone buy this, when a x50i Bimmer will pretty much cost the same to run, along with sounding and performing much better

I am really curious about this 3 turbo setup as well. Might give some insight on the next M3

CALL_911

Meh, I don't find it particularly interesting in any way.

But my, if the F10 doesn't look fantastic. It's easily one of the best looking sedans on the road.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hounddog

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 26, 2012, 02:58:09 PM
Why would anyone buy this, when a x50i Bimmer will pretty much cost the same to run, along with sounding and performing much better

I am really curious about this 3 turbo setup as well. Might give some insight on the next M3

Why would a car which gets 25mpg cost the same to run as one which gets 37+mpg? :huh: 

Diesel is roughly the same as premium where I buy.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 26, 2012, 02:59:17 PM

But my, if the F10 doesn't look fantastic. It's easily one of the best looking sedans on the road.
Seriously?

A car which for all intents and purposes is as fast as the V8 gasser, but gets 12mpg more? 

Not interesting?  Really?  :confused:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 26, 2012, 02:58:09 PM

Because you get the same performance and much better fuel economy. Some people like that. Even in this class and market there are wealthy people that care about fuel economy despite easily being capable of paying the enormous fuel bills of a 550i.

Performance diesels sound awesome by the way. They sound like an American muscle car from the '60s with a bubbling aggressive V8.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

hounddog

"enormous" is a bit of a stretch, honestly.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

cawimmer430

Quote from: hounddog on January 26, 2012, 03:00:48 PM
Seriously?

A car which for all intents and purposes is as fast as the V8 gasser, but gets 12mpg more? 

Not interesting?  Really?  :confused:

It's not RWD. If it was he'd be drooling all over it.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: hounddog on January 26, 2012, 03:02:12 PM
"enormous" is a bit of a stretch, honestly.

From a European perspective. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

hounddog

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 26, 2012, 03:02:45 PM
It's not RWD. If it was he'd be drooling all over it.  :devil:
We have AWD 550s here.

:huh:

:lol:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

cawimmer430

Quote from: hounddog on January 26, 2012, 03:04:05 PM
We have AWD 550s here.

:huh:

:lol:

I'm sure those are "not impressive" either.

Now if they were RWD... :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

It has more torque at idle then a 535 has at it's peak.  :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on January 26, 2012, 03:12:38 PM

It has more torque at idle then a 535 has at it's peak.  :lol:

I am not impressed...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 26, 2012, 02:59:17 PM

Bingo.

Plus, if you're spending $70k+ on a sports sedan, by definition you don't (or shouldn't) care about fuel economy (and as we all know, at least in the US, the cost premium for a diesel engine usually has a very long if not indeterminate payback period). And why invite the throttle lag, racket, and mess?

68_427

If I had $70K I'd buy one of these.*

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/26/2012-jaguar-xf-supercharged-review/

*After a CTS-V, but that's sort of different than these cars.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

Will the M550d come with a stick at least?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: thecarnut on January 26, 2012, 04:22:03 PM
Will the M550d come with a stick at least?

The M5 doesn't even come with a stick across the pond.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2012, 04:11:03 PM
Bingo.

Plus, if you're spending $70k+ on a sports sedan, by definition you don't (or shouldn't) care about fuel economy (and as we all know, at least in the US, the cost premium for a diesel engine usually has a very long if not indeterminate payback period). And why invite the throttle lag, racket, and mess?

The diesel will pull from idle, lag should hardly be noticeable, I doubt that the majority of people could distinguish a modern diesel from a gasser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh6o5BvQsko&feature=related

It sounds a bit different, but is not noisier then the gasser.

If you don't the smell of diesel fuel, you can buy the synthetic premium diesels (for example Shell V Power diesel), the fuel is clear as water, and does not even smell like diesel.