Tesla Model S getting some love from reviewers and the media

Started by thewizard16, November 22, 2011, 06:19:59 PM

thewizard16

Telsa held a preview type event for current reservation holders, the media and such last month and there's been a lot of press about it since then. I hadn't seen any real mention of it on here yet, so I figured I would post some of the reflections from the media and reviewers here. The more I read and see about this car, the more I really want one.

First Ride: 2012 Tesla Model S
Sampling the Make or Break Car for the EV's Future

THE CAR
As a handful of journalists snapped pictures, poked at touch screens, and flipped open the charging ports on the trio of preproduction (Betas, they call them) Model S's parked outside the Tesla (ex-NUMMI) factory in Fremont, California, I had one solitary thought:
This is it.

The future of the 100-percent battery-powered electric automobile could very well pivot on what's in front of me. If you're one of those who's enchanted by an Tomorrowland-like, electric-car future, you'd better hope the Tesla Model S succeeds. If you're among its detractors, well, now's the time to start pressing pins into your knitted Model S doll. But no matter what, the Model S is going to be a very difficult electric car to dismiss.
Because it's a real car. Let me explain that statement. Remember GM's EV1? It was a brilliant car...that was drastically undermined by its 1990's battery technology (I actually pushed one down a street when its battery died). In most people's eyes, it was simply not a "real car." Battery technology hasn't been nearly as problematic for the more recent Tesla Roadster -- lithium-ion chemistry allows it to travel 200-plus miles between charges and be fast as heck -- but it regularly gets dismissed as too expensive to be a "real car." And ironically, the new Nissan Leaf -- neither expensive nor archaic -- seems to have come full circle, finding itself batted aside by some critics because of the EV1's old Achilles heel: limited range. (Roughly 75 mile range in this case.) Too little to be a "real car."

My ride in the Model S was a brief circuit around the factory grounds and the banked corners that punctuate the ends of the tiny test track left over from the NUMMI days. But I was quickly surprised by a couple of things. The car's acceleration -- claimed to be 5.6 seconds to 60 mph -- is a continuous press-the-seat-back surge that only a single-speed, big electric motor can provide. (Top speed is 130 mph, and a sub-5-second, 320-mile range has been mentioned for a sport variant.) Aided by liquid cooling, the motor generates 306 hp at 7000 rpm and 362 lb-ft of torque between 6500-10,000 rpm (redline is 14k!). Interestingly, while the motor is quiet, its growly roar is a very different acoustic signature than the frenetic whine in the Roadster. Tesla claims that's just how it sounds, and no acoustic modifications have been attempted. Bumps were nicely absorbed amid muted tire-impact noises, and the lateral grip seemed considerable for a car over 4000 pounds. That low battery location and compact powertrain are very helpful.

Full review: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1110_2012_tesla_model_s_first_ride/

The Tesla Model S Will Be Like An iPad, Faster Than An Aston Martin

Model S will appeal to BMW 5-Series and Porsche Panamera owners who, Musk says, want something that handles better and drives faster than the standard luxury sedan. But he doesn?t hesitate to add that competitors will also include the similar-looking $200,000 Aston Martin Rapide and $128,000 Maserati Quattroporte.

With a 300-mile-range lithium ion battery and a claimed 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds, the Model S will beat them both on the road.

?From a performance standpoint we did consciously intend to beat them,? Musk says. ?This is intended to be the best performance sedan out there.?

Inside, that 17-inch center console controls navigation, heating, cooling, radio functions and systems management. It will sync with an iPhone or Android to report the driving range, location, temperature and other vitals of the car wherever the owner is. It?ll also pre-heat and unlock the car remotely.

Exterior design notes include handles that rest flush with the sidebody and a plug outlet hidden behind an electro-magnetized portion of the rear lights. (Charging on a 240-volt outlet will give 62 miles of range per hour.) The profile of the car looks seamless?and it has a Boxster-beating drag coefficient of .22.

Full review: http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahelliott/2011/11/02/elon-musk-tesla-model-s-will-be-like-ipad-faster-than-aston-martin/

Inside the Tesla Model S
This new plug-in electric sedan will be revolutionary in more ways than one.

Full review: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/autos/1111/gallery.tesla_model_s_electric/index.html

Tesla Model S Beta 1: A glimpse of the future from the passenger seat
Tesla replaced faith with proof.

Full review: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20115083-48/tesla-model-s-beta-1-a-glimpse-of-the-future-from-the-passenger-seat/#ixzz1eUEyaDNF

Additional: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/04/2012-tesla-model-s-beta/
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111004/CARNEWS/111009971
http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/10/03/exclusive-first-ride-in-the-tesla-model-s-video/
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Soup DeVille

I've always been a supporter (in spirit) of Tesla, although teir scrabbiling after federal green dollars lessens my enthusiasm a little. Who can blame them for chasing "free" money after all?

But, i think they're slightly off the mark with this statement:

"Model S will appeal to BMW 5-Series and Porsche Panamera owners who, Musk says, want something that handles better and drives faster than the standard luxury sedan. But he doesn?t hesitate to add that competitors will also include the similar-looking $200,000 Aston Martin Rapide and $128,000 Maserati Quattroporte."

Well, no it won't. Despite the continual strides EVs make, they are not going to be replacements for traditional cars any time soon. They may likely be an option in the wealthier man's stable though. The following statement irks me too:

"Sampling the Make or Break Car for the EV's Future"

Well, no it isn't. This company isn't  the "make or break" company either, nor is the Leaf, or the Volt, or any other single car, anymore than the EV1/Impact was. Its an evolving and continuing technology, and it still has a ways to go.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

thewizard16

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 22, 2011, 06:43:33 PM
I've always been a supporter (in spirit) of Tesla, although teir scrabbiling after federal green dollars lessens my enthusiasm a little. Who can blame them for chasing "free" money after all?

But, i think they're slightly off the mark with this statement:

"Model S will appeal to BMW 5-Series and Porsche Panamera owners who, Musk says, want something that handles better and drives faster than the standard luxury sedan. But he doesn?t hesitate to add that competitors will also include the similar-looking $200,000 Aston Martin Rapide and $128,000 Maserati Quattroporte."

Well, no it won't. Despite the continual strides EVs make, they are not going to be replacements for traditional cars any time soon. They may likely be an option in the wealthier man's stable though. The following statement irks me too:

"Sampling the Make or Break Car for the EV's Future"

Well, no it isn't. This company isn't  the "make or break" company either, nor is the Leaf, or the Volt, or any other single car, anymore than the EV1/Impact was. Its an evolving and continuing technology, and it still has a ways to go.

I think that depends on how well these new EVs prove themselves. If I were in the market for a $50-70,000 car I think I would strongly consider the Model S. Even in Little Rock there are some charging stations around town if I were to need them and even the lowest range model (160 mile) would be great for a daily driver. The 300 mile range model is intriguing and would probably cover 99% of people's needs, but to me it's more of a sign that range is going to continue to improve on these kinds of cars. This car would be very appealing as just another gasoline or hybrid luxury car, but that it's electric and has a realistic range does a lot to show that they can be a valid traditional car replacement. If they could get one up to a 500 mile range and I had the money I don't think I'd hesitate to buy it over a gasoline equivalent. That range would cover the longest daily drives I've taken in the last 5 years easily and remove any "range-anxiety", as they call it, for me.

I do agree that this definitely isn't make or break for EV's future, but I think it can be significant in how EVs continue to develop and are marketed. Tesla is working more towards changing the perception of what an electrical vehicle can be than any other company I know of, and if they succeed in making the Model S a well-known commodity, then the EV future might be brighter, sooner. In the long run it may not make a huge difference, I don't know, but manufacturing a high quality luxury car with some of the most interesting technology on-board I've heard of will at least get it noticed. That it's fast, sleek, and supposedly handles well are very nice perks to help people think of it as a car they actually want even ignoring environmental reasons.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

L. ed foote

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 22, 2011, 06:43:33 PM
This company isn't  the "make or break" company either, nor is the Leaf, or the Volt, or any other single car, anymore than the EV1/Impact was. Its an evolving and continuing technology, and it still has a ways to go.

:hesaid:

It will be interesting to see how things will be regarding electric cars some 10 years in the future; they have made some fairly big strides as of late.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Galaxy

All in all it is one very sharp looking vehicle. The one thing that bothers me is the front grill, or lack thereof. The plastic piece bothers me. 

Onslaught

Quote from: Galaxy on November 26, 2011, 06:17:14 AM
All in all it is one very sharp looking vehicle. The one thing that bothers me is the front grill, or lack thereof. The plastic piece bothers me. 
I think it look better if it was more a flat black rather then gloss. Still, a fine looking car.

thewizard16

I think they may have incorporated some sort of grille into the actual model based on the picture used in many of the reviews:

It's probably just there for looks, but it does make the car look a bit more normal from the front I suppose.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Raza

I'll have 1 order of car, please, hold the engine. 

That's what it looks like.  Generic. 

And fuck electric cars. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

thewizard16

99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

SVT666

It's 100% electric.  There are big problems with the powertrain.

Soup DeVille

Agreed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

I don't understand the traditional proportions. Not to say it's a bad looking car (I prefer this to the Karma) but the overall look of the car seems like it could be powered by any sort of ICE. Seems wasteful; they don't have traditional components to work around.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on November 30, 2011, 08:02:02 PM
I don't understand the traditional proportions. Not to say it's a bad looking car (I prefer this to the Karma) but the overall look of the car seems like it could be powered by any sort of ICE. Seems wasteful; they don't have traditional components to work around.

Why reinvent the wheel?

I'm sure as electrics get to be more commonplace, they'll also start to shift shape.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2011, 07:01:45 PM

Pretty sure you can buy one with over 300 mile range.  I know it won't cross the country, but that's a huge step forward.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

NomisR

I still think fuel cell is the way to go rather than full electric.  It can be more readily accepted by the general public as you can fuel up in the same amount as time as a regular and would be just like a regular car.  And technically, you can generate the hydrogen to fuel up at home too.

hotrodalex

Quote from: NomisR on December 01, 2011, 11:51:01 AM
I still think fuel cell is the way to go rather than full electric.  It can be more readily accepted by the general public as you can fuel up in the same amount as time as a regular and would be just like a regular car.  And technically, you can generate the hydrogen to fuel up at home too.

I agree, it seems like the best option as of right now. Just have to solve the issues with fuel storage and make sure the cars don't blow up when rear ended. Other than that the only obstacle is setting up infrastructure.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 01, 2011, 07:33:44 PM
I agree, it seems like the best option as of right now. Just have to solve the issues with fuel storage and make sure the cars don't blow up when rear ended. Other than that the only obstacle is setting up infrastructure.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...ever since the Hindenburg people have been scared shitless of hydrogen.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that it's really a problem. At least not anymore than 10-20 gallons of super flammable liquid gasoline.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 01, 2011, 07:58:53 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah...ever since the Hindenburg people have been scared shitless of hydrogen.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that it's really a problem. At least not anymore than 10-20 gallons of super flammable liquid gasoline.

Fire isn't quite as bad as explosions, though.

Of course apparently electric cars aren't immune to fire either, looking at the issues Chevy is having with the Volt crash tests. Maybe that'll strengthen the argument for hydrogen.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 01, 2011, 08:04:56 PM
Fire isn't quite as bad as explosions, though.

Of course apparently electric cars aren't immune to fire either, looking at the issues Chevy is having with the Volt crash tests. Maybe that'll strengthen the argument for hydrogen.

I heard that was due to improper storage after crash testing.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 01, 2011, 08:06:02 PM
I heard that was due to improper storage after crash testing.

Yep, should be an easy fix. But the public might just hear "fire" and freak out.

Soup DeVille

Yep. people get all nervous abotu the dangers of new technologies, and forget they've been driving around with the explosive equivalent of three sticks of dynamite sloshing around in their tanks for decades.

SVT_Power

Quote from: NomisR on December 01, 2011, 11:51:01 AM

From my experience, they're more than definitely not the answer.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

thewizard16

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2011, 07:01:45 PM
I don't see how that's a problem at all. It's worked for golf carts, buses, trains, and the Roadster.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

280Z Turbo

Quote from: thewizard16 on December 01, 2011, 11:03:32 PM
I don't see how that's a problem at all. It's worked for golf carts, buses, trains, and the Roadster.

I think the electric motor was only invented like 10 years ago or something.

SVT666

Quote from: thewizard16 on December 01, 2011, 11:03:32 PM
It
s a problem because it doesn't charge in 5 minutes like it takes to fill a tank full of gas.

thewizard16

Quote from: SVT666 on December 01, 2011, 11:42:24 PM
It
s a problem because it doesn't charge in 5 minutes like it takes to fill a tank full of gas.
Fair enough, I suppose. But I don't drive 300 miles in a day, or even a week, so plugging it in at night every Wednesday would keep me going just fine :huh:. On a road trip it would be more of an issue, which is the only problem I see with it right now.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Raza

Liquid gasoline is very stable. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 01, 2011, 10:40:17 PM
From my experience, they're more than definitely not the answer.

Why not?

Quote from: SVT666 on December 01, 2011, 11:42:24 PM
It

One solution that I've thought of is swappable battery packs. You don't go to a "gas station" to charge the battery, you go to swap it out for a freshly charged one, and your current one is charged for a future customer. Only problem with this is that I'm sure some batteries will be abused and it would suck to get one of those batteries and run out of charge a lot more quickly.