Edmunds Long Term Test: Ford GT

Started by ifcar, October 05, 2005, 06:07:31 AM

ifcar

Introduction

OK, so no one is sitting around thinking, "Hmmm, I'd like to buy a 2005 Ford GT, if only I could read something about the ownership experience first." Either you're already a fanatic about this 550-horsepower, midengine exotic car, or you don't even know it exists. And if you're a fanatic then you either already own one or you already plan to buy one ? or you really want to buy one and simply don't have the means.

The way we see it, this 2005 Ford GT long-term road test will appeal to the people in all of those groups (except for the ones who don't know it exists ? those people should stop wasting our Web server's bandwidth and go back under their rocks). Like every car in the long-term test fleet, the Ford GT will be expected to function under real-world ownership conditions. Don't assume we'll be using kid gloves on this former-concept-car-turned-full-scale-production-car. At six times the cost of a new Mustang GT it's likely most owners won't treat their GT as a daily driver, so we won't either. But we will drive it regularly, and we'll even utilize its world-class performance capabilities at various closed course facilities, as we did this month at Laguna Seca Raceway near Monterey, California (more on that in a moment).

First let's talk about the buying experience, which as you might expect wasn't like our typical long-term car purchases. Interest in, and demand for, the Ford GT has kept prices well above MSRP since the first models started showing up at dealerships in the fall of 2004. Add to that the various recall issues that slowed initial production (related to the car's paint, fuel tank and suspension pieces), and there was far more demand than supply until recent months. But starting around June of this year, you could find a Ford GT for roughly MSRP. Sure, there were plenty of dealers still asking far more than the car's $150,000 price tag (some dreamers are still trying to get well over $200,000), but few sellers were actually getting more than $10,000 above sticker.

We got our Midnight Blue Ford GT in late August at exactly MSRP. And while we have been in contact with Ford regarding this car purchase for some time, we could have gone on eBay and/or Auto Trader the same week we bought ours and paid approximately the same price, depending on color flexibility (blue and black GTs seem to be going for slightly more than red or white, but the difference is negligible). If you're serious about buying a Ford GT, don't believe the popular myths about $200,000-plus pricing and limited availability. As I write this there are at least 200 models for sale on Auto Trader alone. You might also want to visit www.fordgtprices.com to keep track of market conditions.

Unless you are able to order a Ford GT to your exact specs you will have to buy a fully loaded one, as almost all are showing up that way on dealer lots. The list of options is pretty short, and consists of aluminum wheels, painted brake calipers, a pair of painted stripes over the top, and an "upgraded" McIntosh audio system. We were able to order our GT, and we checked off every option except the McIntosh audio system. And while you may think the system's pricey $4,000 cost, and/or its hefty 80-pound weight, were what stopped us from wanting the system, the real reason has to do with the subwoofer's design and placement. Basically, it sits between the seatbacks, just below the "mid-light" glass that separates the cabin from the engine compartment. Not only does this make the cockpit feel cramped, while also somewhat inhibiting conversation between driver and passenger (even without the stereo on), it also blocks much of the view between the cockpit and the engine compartment. It's that last point that really bothered us.

We drove an early-production version of the GT, before the McIntosh system was installed, and we loved the view out the rear glass that showed the supercharger spinning just inches from our head. Why anyone would want to block that view with an oversized subwoofer is beyond us. We've also driven a GT with the upgraded audio system, and it does sound very good, but not good enough to justify the blocked engine view (not to mention the $4,000 price tag and 80-pound performance penalty). For the record, ours is the only GT we've ever seen without the system, and at a recent media event with several Ford employees (including some engineers from the GT development team), they told us they'd never seen a GT without the McIntosh audio system, either. Who knows, that might make ours one of one?.

As for the rest of the options, we're happy with them all. The white stripes over the top of the car really call out the GT's unique body lines, especially the air extractors on the front end. The lightweight wheels are indeed light, and they look good as well. Finally, with the painted brake calipers in red (gray is the other optional color) poking out from behind those wheels, we have a bit of a red-white-and-blue thing going on between our calipers, stripes and exterior color. Seems fitting, considering this is the car whose forbear put America on the map with regard to Europe's toughest racing event, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, some 40 years ago.

We said we were going to drive this long-term test car, despite its exotic car nature, and in the first two weeks of ownership we put 1,100 miles on our new Ford GT. This included a run from Santa Monica to Monterey, where we did hot laps with the car at Laguna Seca Raceway. What we learned during our track time is that the Ford GT is indeed one of the easiest exotic cars you'll ever drive fast. Its supercharged, 5.4-liter V8 has a broad torque band, and the Ricardo six-speed transmission is about as easygoing as the manual tranny in a 350Z. There's plenty of tire grip, and plenty of warning when things start to go beyond the car's ultrahigh capabilities. With only a bit of familiarity you can learn to balance the car on the edge of grip, using the midengine layout and trail braking to rotate the nose before clipping an apex and roaring out of a corner. It's great fun, and proof that exotics can offer thrilling performance without the white-knuckle ride that often comes from pushing them to their limits.

Beyond our track experience we had plenty of time to live with the Ford GT on public roadways in our first month of ownership. The 600-mile round-trip to Monterey, as well as a daily commute along California's Pacific Coast Highway, told us much about this Blue Oval exotic. First, it's about as easy to live with as a Mustang GT. The clutch pedal pressure is relatively light, as are the steering and brake efforts. Rear visibility is the single largest departure between the GT and Ford's $25,000 pony car in terms of driving experience, but even this becomes less of an issue as familiarity with the car builds. There's also the issue of entry and exit, which basically requires you to open the doors far enough to get the "roof portion" of them out of the way. As long as you have room next to the GT, this isn't a problem, but we could see the driver literally becoming trapped if two cars parked tightly on either side of it.

But don't confuse the car's ease of use with a lack of performance. Any car with a 3.6-second 0-to-60 time and a top speed over 200 mph is likely to feel pretty much omnipotent on public roads ? and the Ford GT does. Want to pass that slowpoke in the fast lane? Done before he has time to even register the GT's approach. Looking to jump into that tiny space in traffic? Easily executed before the other cars involved ever see you coming.

Other issues worth noting involve seat comfort, which is fine for a couple of hours, but beyond that we found ourselves wishing for a bit more lumbar support. We're also not thrilled with the radio's AM reception, though we hear this is a problem with the McIntosh system, too, so it may be more related to the car's antenna (integrated within the windshield glass) than the head unit. Finally, we'd remind every GT owner to pack light, as the tiny storage area under the front hood can't handle more than a small overnight bag. We also discovered that this compartment gets very hot, so make sure that whatever you put in there isn't heat sensitive. Certainly don't put your bottled water up there ? unless you plan on making coffee or tea at an upcoming rest stop.

To say we're looking forward to our long-term relationship with a 2005 Ford GT would be like saying we hope the price of gas doesn't go too much higher. Just our luck that the two events are happening simultaneously, but with an EPA rating of 13/21 the GT isn't much worse than your average full-size SUV in terms of fuel costs. And it's definitely far more rewarding to drive.

Current Odometer: 1,150
Best Fuel Economy: 17.5.mpg
Worst Fuel Economy: 14.8 mpg
Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 16.0 mpg
Body Repair Costs: None
Maintenance Costs: None
Problems: None  

bobwill

Wow, they got a longterm GT?  B******s!

Raza

They're getting about the same gas mileage as I am.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ro51092

Raza, then your fuel mileage really sucks, you should get it checked

Raza

No, it's about normal.  A little more than I got in the E320, anyway.  I'm tough on my gas pedal.  Especially since the Passat has so little power low down, I hold 1st gear to almost 6K rpm most of the time.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

mazda6er

QuoteNo, it's about normal.? A little more than I got in the E320, anyway.? I'm tough on my gas pedal.? Especially since the Passat has so little power low down, I hold 1st gear to almost 6K rpm most of the time.
Yeah, that'll do it.  :o I shift @3500 usually, sometimes even 2500.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Secret Chimp

QuoteNo, it's about normal.  A little more than I got in the E320, anyway.  I'm tough on my gas pedal.  Especially since the Passat has so little power low down, I hold 1st gear to almost 6K rpm most of the time.
You really need to go that much all the time?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

That car probably gets better mileage than all but one of my family's cars.  <_<  :lol:  

Fire It Up

QuoteNo, it's about normal.  A little more than I got in the E320, anyway.  I'm tough on my gas pedal.  Especially since the Passat has so little power low down, I hold 1st gear to almost 6K rpm most of the time.
I'll answer for him and say yes.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

I'll answer correctly for him and say no. He just drives it hard and the result is crappy gas mileage, you certainly don't need to stay in 1st until 6500rpms under normal conditions.  

Tom

QuoteNo, it's about normal.? A little more than I got in the E320, anyway.? I'm tough on my gas pedal.? Especially since the Passat has so little power low down, I hold 1st gear to almost 6K rpm most of the time.
Yeah, that'll do it.  :o I shift @3500 usually, sometimes even 2500.
I rarely exceed 2000 unless I need the power.

Raza

QuoteNo, it's about normal.  A little more than I got in the E320, anyway.  I'm tough on my gas pedal.  Especially since the Passat has so little power low down, I hold 1st gear to almost 6K rpm most of the time.
Yes, I do.  Suburban traffic is very aggressive, and there are alot of left turns across lanes in my commute.  Shifting at 2000 I'd get no boost, and never make any turns.  It would be like driving a bus.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Yes, I do.  Suburban traffic is very aggressive, and there are alot of left turns across lanes in my commute.  Shifting at 2000 I'd get no boost, and never make any turns.  It would be like driving a bus.
:rolleyes:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Our Subaru weighs 200 lbs more than your car and has 5 hp less and I have never felt the need to rev over 5000rpms even when merging.

Run Away

I battle leigons of idiot drivers every day doing delivery (especially now that it snowed, people seem to forget all the previous years where we've had snow [always] and drive like it's as grippy as pavement) and never go past 3000rpm in my "torqueless" Honda.

Raza

Well, then maybe your traffic is not as bad as it is here.  

And I paid a little more attention--I don't usually rev it over 5 grand--only once in a while I shoot to 6000 or 6500.  Besides, it's not like I don't cruise in 5th gear when I can (over 35mph).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

QuoteWell, then maybe your traffic is not as bad as it is here. 

And I paid a little more attention--I don't usually rev it over 5 grand--only once in a while I shoot to 6000 or 6500.  Besides, it's not like I don't cruise in 5th gear when I can (over 35mph).
I only have 4 gears.  :(  

People where I live drive like absolute lunatics. To all those shifting at 2000, you would get your doors blown off.  :P
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

And I paid a little more attention--I don't usually rev it over 5 grand--only once in a while I shoot to 6000 or 6500.  Besides, it's not like I don't cruise in 5th gear when I can (over 35mph).

People were I live drive like absolute lunatics. To all those shifting at 2000, you would get your doors blown off.  :P
Are you in the Northeast as well?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

QuoteWell, then maybe your traffic is not as bad as it is here.?

And I paid a little more attention--I don't usually rev it over 5 grand--only once in a while I shoot to 6000 or 6500.? Besides, it's not like I don't cruise in 5th gear when I can (over 35mph).

People were I live drive like absolute lunatics. To all those shifting at 2000, you would get your doors blown off.  :P
Upstate NY. Where are you? I thought you lived in like Iowa or something.
--Mark

Raza

I'm half an hour from Philadelphia.  

Iowa... :rolleyes:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

QuoteWell, then maybe your traffic is not as bad as it is here.?

And I paid a little more attention--I don't usually rev it over 5 grand--only once in a while I shoot to 6000 or 6500.? Besides, it's not like I don't cruise in 5th gear when I can (over 35mph).

:angry: There's nothing wrong with Iowa, though most of the agressive driving done outside of Cedar Rapids or Des Moines consists of tractors.
I can believe 16mpg for Raza... if I'm in a bad mood on a given week and drive pretty hard (not normally due to traffic... it's nuts, but it's not a huge area or anything) I can get my average as low as about 16.
Edit: Please note that's with the six cylinder, not the four (that'd be unthinkable..).
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Turbo.  4 cylinder turbo.

I got worse with the E320, and when I was out at Altoona, I averaged closer to 13 or 14.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

:angry: There's nothing wrong with Iowa, though most of the agressive driving done outside of Cedar Rapids or Des Moines consists of tractors.
I can believe 16mpg for Raza... if I'm in a bad mood on a given week and drive pretty hard (not normally due to traffic... it's nuts, but it's not a huge area or anything) I can get my average as low as about 16.
Edit: Please note that's with the six cylinder, not the four (that'd be unthinkable..).
I didn't mean to demean Iowa.  I just was wondering how he came to the conclusion that I'm from Iowa.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

QuoteI didn't mean to demean Iowa.  I just was wondering how he came to the conclusion that I'm from Iowa.
Your profile.

QuoteLocation: Have you ever seen Signs?

I assumed you meant the midwest/farming area of the country because of that. I guess not.  If that isn't the case, what do you mean by that?
--Mark

Raza

QuoteI didn't mean to demean Iowa.  I just was wondering how he came to the conclusion that I'm from Iowa.
Your profile.

QuoteLocation: Have you ever seen Signs?

I assumed you meant the midwest/farming area of the country because of that. I guess not.  If that isn't the case, what do you mean by that?
Signs was filmed roughly 40 minutes from my house.  The pizza place they go to is 5 minutes or less from my old high school (which I went to when it was filmed).  We had kids cutting school to walk down to the set and watch.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Iowa :o  thats one of the few states that is more boring than Ohio.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

giant_mtb

QuoteI battle leigons of idiot drivers every day doing delivery (especially now that it snowed, people seem to forget all the previous years where we've had snow [always] and drive like it's as grippy as pavement) and never go past 3000rpm in my "torqueless" Honda.
The first snow is always the worst for driving...most people can't switch from summer driving to winter driving mode that fast...  

At least that's what I figure is what happens...