Jaguar XF Sportbrake

Started by SVT666, November 29, 2011, 09:46:36 AM

SVT666

Jaguar XF Sportbrake

By Andrew Ganz
Tuesday, Nov 29th, 2011

One of the industry?s worst-kept secrets has finally been made public: A five-door wagon version of Jaguar?s XF midsize sedan is on the way to do battle with the German ?defaults.?

While wagons represent an ever-diminishing share of the North American market, they are key to a premium brand?s success in Europe, where Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz have dominated the upper premium segment for well over a decade.

But Jaguar has a new trick up its sleeve ? and it?s called the XF Sportbrake.

Ostensibly, the XF Sportbrake is identical to the sedan up until the C-pillar just aft of the rear doors. From there back, it will feature its own unique styling as we can see from these spy photos released directly from Jaguar?s UK offices themselves. The bulging tail lamps shown are not production parts, but nearly everything else looks ready for the showroom once the distracting camouflage is removed.

The XF Sportbrake?s powertrains should mirror those offered in the sedan, although the emphasis will undoubtedly be on diesel motivation for the European market. Since North American sales are unlikely, it?s possible that Jaguar will exclude all V8s but its range-topping XFR powertrain from the Sportbrake.

Look for the XF Sportbrake to formally bow at the Geneva Motor Show in early March, although Jaguar will probably give us a few more teasers between now and then.

S204STi

SVT666

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on November 29, 2011, 01:25:57 PM
I think it looks fantastic.

Me too. Such an awesome paint job, it's like you can't even see the car!  ;)

I'll reserve judgement until I see it without the camo, but it does look promising.

Catman

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2011, 07:29:51 PM
I keep reading "sportbike."

Are you somehow insinuting that this is not a sportbike?

Oh... Brake. WTF?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: R-inge on November 29, 2011, 01:23:47 PM
I'd hit that.

"Nice to see, nice to hold. But if you break it it's considered sold." :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

It definitely looks nice.  But it still doesn't look like a Jaguar. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26188.msg1623631#msg1623631 date=1322671534
It definitely looks nice.  But it still doesn't look like a Jaguar. 
Cars that look like Jaguars don't sell, that's why they don't look like Jaguars anymore.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2011, 10:22:41 AM
Cars that look like Jaguars don't sell, that's why they don't look like Jaguars anymore.

I suppose.  I mean, at least this looks nice.  The XJ looks like shit. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26188.msg1623654#msg1623654 date=1322675271
I suppose.  I mean, at least this looks nice.  The XJ looks like shit. 
I don't understand why people think that.  I think it's very slick looking and one of the better looking luxury sedans.  I don't like the blacked out D pillar, but otherwise I think it's beautiful.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2011, 11:07:05 AM
I don't understand why people think that.  I think it's very slick looking and one of the better looking luxury sedans.  I don't like the blacked out D pillar, but otherwise I think it's beautiful.

I think cars have been so ugly for so long that people have forgotten what a good looking car is. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26188.msg1623677#msg1623677 date=1322676873
I think cars have been so ugly for so long that people have forgotten what a good looking car is. 
There are a lot of good looking cars on the road right now.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2011, 11:54:01 AM
There are a lot of good looking cars on the road right now.

There really aren't.  Very few.  A couple of Lamborghinis, the Golf GTI, a few Audis, a Mercedes, a Lexus or two, the current 3 series, the Mustang, the Fusion, and a handful of others.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2011, 11:07:05 AM

The D-pillar is so poorly executed it's not even funny. They said it was to try to create a wrap-around effect for back window, but then they stuck a strip of chrome right in the middle of it.

I seem to recall that if you ask nicely you can get it painted the same color as the rest of the car. Is that true or am I just imaging things?