Might Buy An LR2 This Week -- Opinions??

Started by TurboDan, December 04, 2011, 08:39:30 PM

TurboDan

I don't need "Honda" reliability, but I also don't want to get to know the local AAA-approved tow truck drivers by name. Anyone have any advice on these SUVs before I sign on the dotted line, potentially this week?

Pros: Volvo powertrain, as designed for the XC90 and S80. Good reliability ratings on all the major auto review sites. Looked at the service bulletins on an automotive database, and aside from a vapor lock issue after fording rivers, nothing particularly major. I'm used to buying premium fuel, and uppity dealership folk. I will actually USE this SUV for foul weather duty (we have some nasty high tides and coastal flooding here), and riding on the beach, unlike the vast majority of its owners.

Cons: The Brits are notorious for puzzling electrical glitches. Repair costs are probably insane, though I have a very good local mechanic who works exclusively on European cars.

Carfax was clean. Some guy in suburban Philly used it for his business and only put 36K on the clock (it's an '08 model). No accidents, full service records from Land Rover show no major repairs whatsoever ? just oil changes, and one brake fluid flush.

I really like this thing, just don't want another "Saab story" like disaster that I was living with a few years ago.

Thoughts?

SVT666

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Onslaught

It would be easy for me to say "go for it" with your money. I'm not so sure I'd take the chance. I mean you don't get a reputation for being a money pit for no reason at all.

r0tor

One of my friends has a rare example of one with no issues for years... It sounds like you might have found another.  They do exist believe it or not.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

TurboDan

Quote from: Onslaught on December 05, 2011, 04:41:40 AM
It would be easy for me to say "go for it" with your money. I'm not so sure I'd take the chance. I mean you don't get a reputation for being a money pit for no reason at all.

Yeah. The company's reputation scares me, though the LR2 is kind of a separate animal given the Volvo-derived guts and Haldex-designed AWD system. Don't think I'd touch an LR3/4 or Range Rover with a 10 foot pole, though.

CALL_911

I liked the one I drove, and the dealer was absolutely throwing away their demos. I remember my dad inquired about a 2010 with like 5k miles on it, with the Alpine stereo and navigation, dealer quoted him $27k. I'd buy one.

Although I'm a huge, huge fan of the LR4. If I were rich and in the market for a luxo-SUV, I'd probably go for one. Even over a Range Rover.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

heelntoe

I've been driving a diesel one for the past week or so and have fallen in love with it. I haven't done much off-roading with it, but I can tell you that when you select the loose sand setting on the terrain response system, it goes very well on the beach.

The only problem I had were with that stupid touchscreen system. It works well, but it's not really integrated into the rest of the electronics.
@heelntoe

TurboDan

Quote from: heelntoe on December 05, 2011, 10:39:16 AM
I've been driving a diesel one for the past week or so and have fallen in love with it. I haven't done much off-roading with it, but I can tell you that when you select the loose sand setting on the terrain response system, it goes very well on the beach.

The only problem I had were with that stupid touchscreen system. It works well, but it's not really integrated into the rest of the electronics.

Cool! I did test drive one with the touch screen and noticed the same thing. The one I'm going to buy doesn't have that, though, which really is pretty inconsequential to me.

Glad to hear that about the loose sand setting (I like the little pic of the cactus plant next to it... lol) as I'll definitely be driving it up on the beach.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 05, 2011, 10:15:11 AM
I liked the one I drove, and the dealer was absolutely throwing away their demos. I remember my dad inquired about a 2010 with like 5k miles on it, with the Alpine stereo and navigation, dealer quoted him $27k. I'd buy one.

Although I'm a huge, huge fan of the LR4. If I were rich and in the market for a luxo-SUV, I'd probably go for one. Even over a Range Rover.

Agreed.  How can you not love this.

Though the LR2 isn't bad either.

Although can you remind me again why this wasn't considered?  You can get a 3.6 Limited for $30K.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

How about a Mustang? How could you not love this?

This Integra's looking good:

;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

How could you not love Saturns? They're HOT!

Onslaught

Quote from: TurboDan on December 05, 2011, 09:49:04 AM
Yeah. The company's reputation scares me, though the LR2 is kind of a separate animal given the Volvo-derived guts and Haldex-designed AWD system. Don't think I'd touch an LR3/4 or Range Rover with a 10 foot pole, though.
Id just talk to as many people who have them as you can. I'm not saying they suck but I'd want to get as much info as I could before jumping. I did that with the 8 because it's not got the best reputation either.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Ever consider a RR sport?

*Looks great inside and out (IMO, of course)
*Built well
*Fantastic Jaguar engine transmission (well, transmission is ZF, but it's still good!)
*More room
*Drives well (for a mid-large SUV)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on December 06, 2011, 07:23:45 PM
Ever consider a RR sport?

*Looks great inside and out (IMO, of course)
*Built well
*Fantastic Jaguar engine transmission (well, transmission is ZF, but it's still good!)
*More room
*Drives well (for a mid-large SUV)

That seems like a pain to put gas in, maintain, and super expensive to buy.

CJ

Why not just buy an XC90?  Far nicer inside.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

Quote from: CJ on December 06, 2011, 08:14:31 PM
Why not just buy an XC90?  Far nicer inside.

That's just not true.

I mean, the XC90 is nice but as far as build quality/materials go, the RR is a few notches above.  Design wise, too, the RR is a caliber above, but I suppose that's more subjective.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CALL_911

Quote from: Submariner on December 06, 2011, 10:49:53 PM
That's just not true.

I mean, the XC90 is nice but as far as build quality/materials go, the RR is a few notches above.  Design wise, too, the RR is a caliber above, but I suppose that's more subjective.

Compared to the Range Rover, maybe. But if that's out of the question, why would you make that comparison?

Compared to the LR2, I'd probably go for the XC90. Those things are built very well.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TurboDan

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 06, 2011, 11:03:30 PM
Compared to the LR2, I'd probably go for the XC90. Those things are built very well.

Meh. I like the XC90 for my mom, not me. It's way too big. Essentially I want a Ford Escape-sized vehicle with all the bells, whistles and look/feel of a Land Rover, hence the LR2.

As for the Range Rover Sport, I've actually seen some really good prices on them, but they're too big for me. And they're probably a biotch to maintain given their overengineering in every respect. I had a car like that (the Saab) and it was annoying, despite being a fun car to drive.

TurboDan

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 06, 2011, 05:03:16 PM
Freelander?

If the dealer threw in the next three engines and transmissions I'd need to replace over the course of ownership, I'd consider it.  ;)