Project MX-5

Started by Onslaught, December 06, 2011, 05:53:06 PM

Secret Chimp

Those RX-7 seats will look great. The RX-8s would have looked anachronistic.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Onslaught

I got the seats. Well, I paid for them anyway and will get them. That's one more thing down and a shit ton more to go.

Onslaught

Seats are here and look great. Better then I'd hope for being used. Must have had new leather put on them because no way this is 20 year old leather.

I've spend almost $2K on tools for the shop this past month. I'm still not even where I need to start stuff. Tools cost too much damn money.

Onslaught

This will take care of the wanting to keep it NA but needing around 160bhp. And it should help offset some of the weight increase with the parts I was going to add to strengthen then chassis.

This will no longer be project MX-5. Now it's officially project RX-5.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

Does that require any flibertijibbery with engine mounts or transmission/driveshaft junk?

Onslaught

I was looking around on the RX-7 sites and found that many guys with 1989-91 S5 non turbo cars ran 1.8 Miata transmissions in their cars. You can put the MX-5 trans on a 89-91 RX bell housing with just a few small modifications. This way I can use a stock Miata transmission and keep the stock drive shaft and PPF. And Fly'n Miata makes a special subframe for putting V8's into an MX-5. But you can order one without motor mounts brackets welded in place for jobs other then V8's. This will make the job MUCH better because I won't have to cut up the stock one like people did years ago.

So, This motor is one the way and should be here next week.
A guys is selling a nice 5 speed off a 1.8 at a house near my brothers for $200 on the other side of NC.
And I'll get the subframe in sometime after all that and see how things fit before I go too far.

Secret Chimp

Awesome, I didn't know rotary swaps were that straightforward. I've only ever seen some hack job show up here and there, most people just go turbo or do V8 swaps...

Onslaught

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 15, 2012, 08:49:24 PM
Awesome, I didn't know rotary swaps were that straightforward. I've only ever seen some hack job show up here and there, most people just go turbo or do V8 swaps...
I don't know if I'd call it "straightforward." Nothing like this will be easy and I know I'll run into some things that will kick my ass a little. I think the problem is people want turbo rotary motors. And that makes for more problems.
I just wanted around 150-180 hp. And this motor will give me just that without having to change as many parts. Or putting huge tires and stuff like that on it.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

I'm jealous. Awesome.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

mzziaz

Don't molest the Miata!
Cuore Sportivo

Secret Chimp

Quote from: mzziaz on June 16, 2012, 11:16:39 AM
Don't molest the Miata!

This is a perfectly awesome molestation.

Onslaught

Quote from: mzziaz on June 16, 2012, 11:16:39 AM
Don't molest the Miata!
It won't look any different from the outside then other Miata's. Perhaps a little larger poo shoot out the back and an oil cooler in front of the A/C condenser. Other then that you wouldn't know until I crank it up.

Rupert

I'm not real worried about people modifying their Miatas. It's not like there are only 500 of them.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Miata is Guinnes book of records "best selling 2 seat sportscar". Ever. They're counting all the different model years combined though.
Will

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on June 16, 2012, 11:33:35 AM
It won't look any different from the outside then other Miata's. Perhaps a little larger poo shoot out the back and an oil cooler in front of the A/C condenser. Other then that you wouldn't know until I crank it up.

Change to a sidepipe.  One that belches fire.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on June 16, 2012, 12:30:02 PM
I'm not real worried about people modifying their Miatas. It's not like there are only 500 of them.
You don't see many that are stock and in really nice shape however. Or not near as many as you did.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rupert on June 16, 2012, 12:30:02 PM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 16, 2012, 12:53:46 PM
Miata is Guinnes book of records "best selling 2 seat sportscar". Ever. They're counting all the different model years combined though.

+1

There are still lots of them. Even with the Spec Miata crowd punting them into each other.

Onslaught

Before

After

I had a few hours to screw around today so I got to work taking some of the "stuff" off the old 13B. I've got to get an engine stand and some tools to take the clutch and flywheel off before I see how things are on the inside. Perhaps next weekend I'll have the time. I've got to say that taking a rotary apart is kind of easy. The only problem was trying to keep the 20 year old vacuum lines from disintegrating when removing them. I was going to replace them all anyway, but it be nice to have them as a reference for later.
Sorry for the crappy looking pictures. But I'm not using a nice camera when my hands are covered in oil, gas and dirt. I'm thinking about buying a camera just for the shop so I can take pictures of all of this and not worry about what happens to my good ones.

Secret Chimp

Are you planning on modifying the engine at all or just refreshing with new apex seals or whatever the hell you do when you take a rotary apart?

Onslaught

I'm not sure but I'm thinking just a rebuild of all the seals and stuff like that and keeping the motor stock for the most part. You can port the engine but I wouldn't do that unless I was making a track day car. I like a cool sounding engine as much as the next guy but this will be my weekend fun car from now on. And driving around hearing "BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP" would probably get old after a few months.

Racing Beat makes aluminum front, rear and intermediate side housings and light weight rotors. However unless you're making some kind of bass ass motor I just can't see spending the money for the weight loss. I'm not one to give a crap about blowing cash. But at close to $8K to get that stuff even I can't see it.

Perhaps I'll upgrade the ignition and fuel systems and the exhaust and intake the best I can and call it a day. I could also go with a better ECU but I'm not made up my mind about that one either.

r0tor

Look into a street port template if your tearing the motor apart... No brap from a street port

This is pure awesome BTW
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on June 25, 2012, 02:55:05 PM
Look into a street port template if your tearing the motor apart... No brap from a street port

This is pure awesome BTW
Yea, I know a mild street port isn't too bad. I know a guy who's doing one on his 12A right now. Kind of like hearing it in person sometime.

CALL_911

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Dude, that is SO cool. Keep us updated please.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

This is the most awesome thing that has ever happened in this forum.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CALL_911

Quote from: thecarnut on June 25, 2012, 04:13:12 PM
This is the most awesome thing that has ever happened in this forum.

Easily.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Get a street port template from racing beat while you have that open.  Won't take too long and you will get some nice gains.  No brap either.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

I can't make my mod up on if I should come up with a way to put A/C on this thing or not. I'd have to make lines and stuff seeing that nothing will line up with a different motor and compressor. And I'm already taking the smog pump and power steering off and putting the manual rack like in a Type R Miata in it. So it would save me so weight by not having A/C.

That said, I hate extreme heat. So on real hot days I wouldn't get near the thing without A/C.  And Miata's can fog up in the winter if you don't turn the A/C on with the heater and run it that way for a few minutes until the moisture out of the air.

As for porting, I'm probably going to buy new housings anyway seeing that these have 90k on them. So I'll practice a port on these and see how it looks before I try on brand new stuff.