Project MX-5

Started by Onslaught, December 06, 2011, 05:53:06 PM

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Onslaught on September 04, 2012, 10:50:35 AM
They wouldn't match up as far as size. The modern Mazda emblems look kind if the same. And the 8 & 5 are the same size on the two badge.

Also the NA badge is a big square that says "MX-5 miata" on it. You can't take anything off it.
I think the RX-8 and NC MX-5 badge are the same size... :huh:

Although, it looks like the hyphen and 8 on the RX-8 badge are separate from the RX part. On the MX-5 badge, everything is one piece.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Onslaught

I thought it was the badge on the car I have now you guys thought I could change.
Yea, you could probably make an NC badge work too. But I already have a Mazda 5 one
at work and I held the 5 up to my blue car and it works.

In the end I'll have it on the ass of the car when done. Probably won't have "Mazda" on the right side anymore.
We'll worry about the little things later.

Cookie Monster

I was going to say you could have my MX5 one for free, but then again you probably have those lying around in the shop. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Onslaught

Thanks, but I have all kinds. I have a nice 3rd gen RX-7 one that would look great if I could find a 5 that small and in the same color. But I don't think that's possible.

FlatBlackCaddy

MX-5 type R?
or maybe GT-R?
MX-5 competizione
MX-5 R Spec?

or maybe just call it the Mighty Mia?

Secret Chimp

This is the least important part of this entire project. It would still be awesome if it had a "Dickbutt McGaywagon" badge.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 04, 2012, 07:15:24 PM
This is the least important part of this entire project. It would still be awesome if it had a "Dickbutt McGaywagon" badge.

Actually the most important part IS the name. It's marketing 101, i'd spend months coming up with the perfect name. Just toss the motor in there and tape some wires together, but don't dare cut corners on the name.

Onslaught

While I save up some cash for parts for the engine stuff, I'm thinking about starting work on my headlamp project this weekend. I've got all the extra parts to make a headlamp Assy for a Miata including the motors. I've also got a brand new headlamp for an FD RX-7. If you've ever seen a FD and NA next to each other you'll notice that the fronts look similar but the RX-7 had lower headlamps when up vs the NA's "Barn Door" pop-up headlamps. I'm going to try and put the headlamp of the FD into the pop-up assy on the Miata and adjust it so it won't have to raise up near as much. Also the lights in a RX-7 weren't perfectly round like those of a Miata and fit the look of the turn signals more if you ask me. So I'll have lights that won't be so damn high up in the air when on but still look more stock then some of the aftermarket solutions. If it works out ok then all I need to do is make a bezel cover to fit the new shape of the lights.

So that's an RX-7 engine, lights, seats, shifter knob and probably more when I'm done. It really will be an RX-5. I'll post pictures if I can get to it this weekend.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 04, 2012, 07:13:06 PM
MX-5 type R?

They already had one of those. Actually, my car is a copy of one in some ways.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 04, 2012, 07:13:06 PM
MX-5 type R?
or maybe GT-R?
MX-5 competizione
MX-5 R Spec?

or maybe just call it the Mighty Mia?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Onslaught on September 04, 2012, 07:33:25 PM
They already had one of those. Actually, my car is a copy of one in some ways.

R package, not type R, dog

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Onslaught

FlatBlackCaddy

So, you get that motor put in there yet.......

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 10, 2012, 08:37:09 PM
So, you get that motor put in there yet.......
Good lord no, I jumped the gun telling you guys all about this. It will take time before it's ready. This is going to be a massive project.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on September 10, 2012, 08:47:27 PM
Good lord no, I jumped the gun telling you guys all about this. It will take time before it's ready. This is going to be a massive project.

So...that means what, next week sometime?

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 10, 2012, 08:49:42 PM
So...that means what, next week sometime?
No, got to get the rest of my shop equipment. Tig welder, soda blaster, powder coating system, press, spring compressor and some other things. Then I have to rent a drill and put the bolts into the floor for my frame rack. Set up my ventilation fan for paint and stuff like that also. 
Then I'm building an auto rotisserie so I can put the car in the air and spin it around to work on any side.
Then I take everything off the car, soda blast it and put it all together with reworked or new parts. I'm not starting until I've got it all ready either. Don't want it sitting around for years while I work on it. 

Eye of the Tiger

Whoa. I see this is more than a simple motor swap. Have you considered a tri-rotor?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 10, 2012, 09:03:23 PM
Whoa. I see this is more than a simple motor swap. Have you considered a tri-rotor?
In a miata? That's a little overkill.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 10, 2012, 09:13:02 PM
Some idiot put one in a Corolla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFgKNIzah1g&
Yes, but I'm not that kind of idiot.

I'm the kind of idiot who sinks crazy money into a car worth nothing.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on September 10, 2012, 09:01:41 PM
No, got to get the rest of my shop equipment. Tig welder, soda blaster, powder coating system, press, spring compressor and some other things. Then I have to rent a drill and put the bolts into the floor for my frame rack. Set up my ventilation fan for paint and stuff like that also.
Then I'm building an auto rotisserie so I can put the car in the air and spin it around to work on any side.
Then I take everything off the car, soda blast it and put it all together with reworked or new parts. I'm not starting until I've got it all ready either. Don't want it sitting around for years while I work on it.

Well atleast a few months then......

:lol:

Rupert

Holy crap, thatsalottastuff!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

I just got home from Florida not 30 minutes ago. So now it will be time to start buying some more stuff to start this thing.