Any experience with Yokohama S drives?

Started by Byteme, December 20, 2011, 11:16:17 AM

Byteme

Title pretty much says it all.  New tire time for the Miata is coming up.  Ride quality, noise and wet weather traction are priorities.

Secret Chimp

They'll be what I choose after my General Exclaim UHPs wear out. The UHPs have amazing dry grip but they're not that good in the wet. After spending days and days researching tires on miata.net it always came down to S.drives and UHPs. I only chose UHPs because tirerack.com was always out of S.drives at the time.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rich

I've got 'em on the Miata.   They have more grip than the Kumho ECTSAs I had on the Cooper S, but not as much as the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-03s (IIRC), nor the Pirelli P Zeros that are on the Rustang.

For the money, nothing can touch them.

Not much experience in the wet, though.

On a side note, I remember the Bridgestones were amazing in the wet.  Only reason I got 'em was because of a screaming clearance deal on tire rack
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Currently using a set on my 17s.  215/45 R17.  I find that grip is good, no awkward moments yet, plenty of audible feedback when approaching the limit (before they snap loose, mind you) and ride/NVH is acceptable.  Good rain traction with about a year's wear on them.  Crap traction in snow of any sort, as you would expect from a summer tire.  

They are a good tire for the money, IMO.

Also, for my size they are XL Load Limit rated on top of the 91W rating, so they handle big hits and cornering better than would an 87W without XL.  Before these, I had M&S Pzeros which were 87W (non xl), and the ride was not very friendly, especially over rail road tracks and big potholes.  

91W XL also happens to be what my tire placard specifies, no small wonder apparently.