Once a Month
1 (4%)
Every now and again (more than a month)
15 (60%)
Never. (yeah, right)
3 (12%)
I drive an automatic
2 (8%)
I drive an automatic, but my automatic stalls.
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

2o6

Most of us drive manual transmissions on a daily/semi-daily basis. How often do you stall?

CALL_911

It happens like once-twice a month.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

I haven't stalled in years.  I don't even remember the last time.

Cookie Monster

I said once a week. I'll usually go a couple of months without stalling, and then have a bad day or two and stall a bunch of times. The first stall always makes me feel self conscious and stupid and then I end up stalling a bunch more.

So I guess it averages out. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

Occasionally, but not often. Maybe once-twice every 6 mos.

Onslaught

I can't even recall the last time I did in the MX-5. I know I did it when I first got my RX-8 on the hill on my gravel driveway. I remember  thinking "fuck, the motors cold" and that can be bad in a rotary.
But it didn't flood and I've not done that again.

Tave

I think I've done it like 2 times since 2005 when I got the car.

I do however, and this is a little embarrassing, flat-out kill it about once every 6 months. I'll be distracted when I'm parking, have my music up too loud, and forget to turn off the engine before I let out the clutch.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on December 27, 2011, 10:21:16 PM

I do however, and this is a little embarrassing, flat-out kill it about once every 6 months. I'll be distracted when I'm parking, have my music up too loud, and forget to turn off the engine before I let out the clutch.
Yeah, I do that every couple of months too.

I stall the Supra usually once when I've been driving the Z06 for a while.  I'm used to taking off at like no RPMs in the Z06, and that stalls the Supra.  When I've been driving the Supra for a while and switch to the Z06, I end up taking off at too high RPMs.

CALL_911

For me, it usually happens when I'm at a stoplight and I forget that I have the car in gear, or something along those lines.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

I've only stalled the Accent a few times because it barely has enough torque to maintain idle. I stalled a semi truck once because I accidently started out in high range.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Colonel Cadillac

I voted every now and again. I've gone three months without stalling, and I've also stalled multiple times in a month. New Orleans is flat and therefore less skill or thought is involved, so I tend to be less conscious of it and when I am really tired I'll just be stupid sometimes and stall for the worst reason.

^ Reasoning why I have to leave Louisiana

Rupert

I only stall when other people are in the car and/or I'm parking. It's rare.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

When I was learning how to drive a manual I stalled often. Afterwards never or maybe once or twice when getting to know an unfamiliar M/T car.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Byteme

I honestly can't recall the last time I stalled a car.  Since the daily drivers of my wife and I are manuals I better hope I know how to drive one without stalling it.

sportyaccordy

Starting off I stalled every now and then but I got better.

It seems to be really hard on the bike.

MX793

It's not uncommon for me to stall a car I'm not familiar with, particularly in the first couple of take-offs.  While test driving when I was car shopping, I stalled the Gen Coupe (more than once) because the clutch was so difficult to use and I stalled the Mustang (had the super tall standard gearing and I was on a hill).  On my own cars that I'm familiar with, maybe 2 or 3 times a year.  Generally under some atypical circumstances that I don't usually face like trying to reverse up a steep hill while cutting the wheel full lock one direction or another.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 28, 2011, 07:19:03 AM
Starting off I stalled every now and then but I got better.

It seems to be really hard on the bike.

I find it easier on a bike than a car.  Particularly adapting to bikes I've never ridden before.  I don't think I've stalled a bike while trying to take off from a stop in over 15 years.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2011, 07:27:15 AM
I find it easier on a bike than a car.  Particularly adapting to bikes I've never ridden before.  I don't think I've stalled a bike while trying to take off from a stop in over 15 years.
Oh I meant it seems hard on the bike mechanically. You stall in a newish car, it won't buck too hard. On my bike it seems pretty rough.

Difficulty wise I think it can go both ways on bikes though. Some bikes are just not meant for stop and go traffic (track geared supersports). But a street bike with good gearing and a street friendly powerband is easy as hell. Most of the time if I stall it's cause I'm in the wrong gear more than anything.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

This.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Gotta-Qik-C7

I have all autos in my cars now but when I had the Z28 It mite happen every 6 months. I stalled the bike once last summer in the parking lot at Bike Night.  :facepalm:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 28, 2011, 12:15:36 AM
I've only stalled the Accent a few times because it barely has enough torque to maintain idle. I stalled a semi truck once because I accidently started out in high range.

You need a twin stick tranny.

Rupert

When I was learning stick, I tried to start in 3rd. Took, like, five minutes of trying and trying to figure it out. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on December 30, 2011, 12:36:37 AM
When I was learning stick, I tried to start in 3rd. Took, like, five minutes of trying and trying to figure it out. :lol:

I did that one time too. :lol:

Raza

So you're saying you've only stalled two times except for all the other times you stall? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on December 31, 2011, 06:06:52 AM
So you're saying you've only stalled two times except for all the other times you stall? 

lol, yeah

giant_mtb

Every now and again.  Rarely/never in public traffic.  Like others, it's usually during awkward/silly things like crazy reversing maneuvers, getting bogged down in deep snow, or just forgetting I'm in gear or something when I pull into the garage and letting the clutch out anyways.

Speed_Racer

The first time it happened to me in years was just a few weeks ago, and it was because I had a clutch fluid leak and it messed up my muscle memory - take up was millimeters from the floor. That's getting fixed this coming week.

On the bike I do it much more often. Sometimes I'll forget to shift into neutral at a red light and I'll let out the clutch to sit up and wait, and it'll die. That's just me being forgetful.

TBR

In the Prelude probably once a year. I have already stalled the Outback twice just getting used to different engagement point and stiffer accelerator.