Once a Month
1 (4%)
Every now and again (more than a month)
15 (60%)
Never. (yeah, right)
3 (12%)
I drive an automatic
2 (8%)
I drive an automatic, but my automatic stalls.
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

FlatBlackCaddy

a couple time each trip, it's usually due to a worn clutch, stretched cable or a sensitive gas pedal.

either way, it's not my fault.

r0tor

Maybe once or twice a year anymore... It's several years past the moment when I realized I don't even have to think about working the clutch - it just happens
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26379.msg1641060#msg1641060 date=1325336812
So you're saying you've only stalled two times except for all the other times you stall? 

Quote from: Lebowski on December 31, 2011, 11:15:40 AM
lol, yeah

Eh, I guess, but not really. Most people use the word "stall" to refer to a situation where you're trying to keep the car running but fail to modulate the clutch correctly. I was referring to a situation where I intend to shut down the car regardless and simply forget to turn the key off before I let the clutch out.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

heelntoe

I stall every time I step into the Yeti from another car. It's got a very tricky clutch that requires some getting used to. And I end up revving too high in other cars right after I've driven the Yeti.
@heelntoe

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on December 28, 2011, 09:30:21 AM
I'd say once a year. 

I think ive only stalled the miata once since ive owned it. This plus this

I do however, and this is a little embarrassing, flat-out kill it about once every 6 months. I'll be distracted when I'm parking, have my music up too loud, and forget to turn off the engine before I let out the clutch.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

I define stalling as killing the engine by releasing the clutch incorrectly or prematurely.  That includes the parking stall.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on December 27, 2011, 10:21:16 PM
I do however, and this is a little embarrassing, flat-out kill it about once every 6 months. I'll be distracted when I'm parking, have my music up too loud, and forget to turn off the engine before I let out the clutch.

Ha, did that just the other day. Happens every few months.

Not counting the ones where I forget the engine is on, I probably stall 1-2 times per year.

850CSi

Soup DeVille

Every time the wife asks a question about my internet history...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on January 02, 2012, 08:55:43 PM
You define it wrong. :huh:

So a stall is only when trying to set off?  Who said that?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26379.msg1642358#msg1642358 date=1325590700
So a stall is only when trying to set off?  Who said that?

Common usage. Evidently everyone here but you and Lebowski knew exactly what I was talking about.

Regardless, I freely admitted how often I do each. Why the hell does it matter to you what I call it?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 08:48:06 AM
Why the hell does it matter to you what I call it?
Because it's the internet.

Lebowski

I do not know of any common usage definition that would not include inadvertently killing the engine by releasing the clutch as a stall.

I do it too sometimes, but it's a stall. It's just funny you worded it as if you never stall then followed up with that.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 08:48:06 AM
Common usage. Evidently everyone here but you and Lebowski knew exactly what I was talking about.

Regardless, I freely admitted how often I do each. Why the hell does it matter to you what I call it?

No need to get defensive.  I knew exactly what you meant as well.  It was just a weird way of stating it.  It was like saying "I never fall down, except for when I trip" because tripping is a special case of falling down.  It's still a stall. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on January 03, 2012, 09:04:04 AM
I do not know of any common usage definition that would not include inadvertently killing the engine by releasing the clutch as a stall.  

When someone says, "I stalled my car today," I do not picture them letting out the clutch while they're parking. Even the very word "stall" implies that there was to be some further action before the interruption. How do you "stall" something you plan on quitting?

"I stalled my car before I turned it off," is an oxymoron and double negative all rolled into one.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 10:02:12 AM
When someone says, "I stalled my car today," I do not picture them letting out the clutch while they're parking. Even the very word "stall" implies that there was to be some further action before the interruption. How do you "stall" something you plan on quitting?

"I stalled my car before I turned it off," is an oxymoron and double negative all rolled into one.

That implies that you turned the engine back on then turned it off as you had intended to at first.  You stalled as you were parking.  Simple as that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26379.msg1642421#msg1642421 date=1325610661
That implies that you turned the engine back on then turned it off as you had intended to at first.

That's why it's an oxymoron. It doesn't make any sense.

QuoteYou stalled as you were parking.  Simple as that.  

Nah, that still sounds stupid to me. It's also inaccurate as I was already parked.

How about this, I'll say it my way, you can say it your way, and if you don't like it, then tough nuggets.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 10:23:58 AM
That's why it's an oxymoron. It doesn't make any sense.

Nah, that still sounds stupid to me. It's also inaccurate as I was already parked.

How about this, I'll say it my way, you can say it your way, and if you don't like it, then tough nuggets.

It's a stall.  The engine stalled.  You stalled.  How about this?  I'll go on to say more paradoxically inaccurate statements and then cry about it when people call me out.

I never pee, except when I drink too many fluids and have to expel them from my body. 
I never answer a phone, except for when someone calls me on it.
I quit smoking, except for when I'm having a cigarette.
I'm a vegetarian, but I eat meat.

Here's a dictionary(.com) definition of "stall":

15. to cause (a motor or the vehicle it powers) to stop, especially by supplying it with a poor fuel mixture or overloading it.

And here's another one:

17.  to bring to a standstill; check the progress or motion of, especially unintentionally.

Both of these accurately describe your non-stall stalls as stalls. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26379.msg1642464#msg1642464 date=1325615448
It's a stall.  The engine stalled.  You stalled.  How about this?  I'll go on to say more paradoxically inaccurate statements and then cry about it when people call me out.

I never pee, except when I drink too many fluids and have to expel them from my body. 
I never answer a phone, except for when someone calls me on it.
I quit smoking, except for when I'm having a cigarette.
I'm a vegetarian, but I eat meat.

Here's a dictionary(.com) definition of "stall":

15. to cause (a motor or the vehicle it powers) to stop, especially by supplying it with a poor fuel mixture or overloading it.

And here's another one:

17.  to bring to a standstill; check the progress or motion of, especially unintentionally.

Both of these accurately describe your non-stall stalls as stalls. 

?????

"To bring to a standstill unintentionally" does not describe what I'm talking about. In fact that definition and common usage is the very reason I made the distinction in the first place.

Again, there is no paradox here. The only people that took issue with what I said were you and Lebowski. I count at least 6 other posters who knew exactly what I meant. They even said, "Hey, I do that too."

So however wrong you think my communication is, at the very least it appears to be effective. I can't say the same for you, as the only thing you've accomplished is dragging me into a pointless debate over semantics. Bravo, Raza, bravo.

2o6

Ugh, do you have to do this every thread?

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 12:34:08 PM
?????

"To bring to a standstill unintentionally" does not describe what I'm talking about. In fact that definition and common usage is the very reason I made the distinction in the first place.

Again, there is no paradox here. The only people that took issue with what I said were you and Lebowski. I count at least 6 other posters who knew exactly what I meant. They even said, "Hey, I do that too."

So however wrong you think my communication is, at the very least it appears to be effective. I can't say the same for you, as the only thing you've accomplished is dragging me into a pointless debate over semantics. Bravo, Raza, bravo.

Yes, you described how you stall very well. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on January 03, 2012, 12:35:37 PM
Ugh, do you have to do this every thread?

Are you talking to me or the pseudo-literate language Nazi?

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 12:46:10 PM
Are you talking to me or the pseudo-literate language Nazi?

You're the moron that can't tell the difference between stalling and....um....stalling.  You said "I never stall" and then proceeded to describe the times that you stall.  You are the one that seems to have the issue with the language. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

This is hilarious.

Raza, you're wrong.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on January 03, 2012, 04:38:20 AM
So a stall is only when trying to set off?  Who said that?

Yes; everyone else.

sportyaccordy

Raza what the fuck are you going on about

Man this thread makes me miss running through the gears on the old Kawi

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on January 03, 2012, 01:02:22 PM
This is hilarious.

Raza, you're wrong.

No, I'm not.  A stall is when releasing the clutch causes the engine to die.  I don't care if you're parked, driving, sitting in a showroom, whatever.  What he described is a stall.  Simple as that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Raza, we all understand that's the definition of "stall" that you are using. Hell, I'm personally fine with that, like I said, go ahead and use it; it's a perfectly acceptable definition.

All I was trying to do was add some color and nuance to the discussion. I knew as soon as I opened this thread, that different people might understand "stall" to mean different things. Some people, like you, would understand "stall" to be any time you killed a car by letting out the clutch." Other people would obviously use "stall" in its narrow sense: "to bring to a standstill unintentionally."

I'm sorry that my attempt to introduce that nuance of meaning was so offensive to you.