2013 Nissan Pathfinder

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2012, 12:50:17 PM

SVT666

By Andrew GanzMonday, Jan 9th, 2012 @ 8:30 am

One of the oldest SUV nameplates has been given a new lease on life for 2013, albeit as a more road-oriented three-row crossover than a traditional SUV.

Today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Nissan took the wraps off of a thinly-disguised concept version of the 2013 Pathfinder. Despite the concept moniker, the Pathfinder shown here is nearly ready for production; a few tweaks might occur prior to its formal roll-out at either the Chicago or New York shows in February and April, respectively.

Based on a version of the unibody platform that also underpins the recently-unveiled Infiniti JX35 crossover, the Pathfinder features room for seven passengers, V6-only power and a next-generation continuously variable transmission. By contrast, the outgoing model was a body-on-frame SUV with both V6 and V8 power and traditional multi-gear transmissions.

Despite its move away from its truck-like roots, Nissan says that the Pathfinder will continue to offer all-wheel motivation (almost certainly as an option) and ?competitive? towing compared to rivals like the Honda Pilot , Toyota Highlander and Ford Explorer .

Nissan?s lineup will still contain its off road-oriented Xterra, at least for now, so buyers looking for more traditional capability will still be able to step foot in a Nissan showroom. For those looking for a towing and hauling SUV, the company?s Armada is likely to stick around for a while.

Despite the changes in store, Pathfinder is likely to retain a base price just south of $30,000, which will help it compete with rivals.

Details
Nissan isn?t spilling the beans just yet on the production Pathfinder?s specifications, but that doesn?t mean we can?t speculate a little on what?s likely to come.

Pathfinder is expected to be powered by a 265-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 gas engine. Although it will likely eschew its two-speed transfer case, an all-wheel-drive system with a ?lock? mode to permanently engage all four wheels will likely be available. We wouldn?t be surprised to see a terrain management system like that used on the Ford Explorer eventually show up on the Pathfinder?s options list, although Nissan could very well abandon the nameplate?s roots entirely.

Inside, it will feature considerably more space in the second and third rows than its predecessor, which was hampered by its traditional body-on-frame construction. The third row of seats should fold mostly flat into the ground with either the release of a lever or, in upmarket models, the touch of a button.

Look for at least three trim levels on offer, ranging from a base model up to a leather-lined LE (pictured).

SVT666

It looks like it should be a Mitsubishi and not a Nissan.

Mustangfan2003

I figure the Armada will be gone soon.

2o6

Looks like the current model Hyundai Santa Fe, but not as attractive.

CALL_911

So that leaves the Xterra and the Armada as the only truck based SUVs in Nissan's lineup. This is sad.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 09, 2012, 05:30:54 PM
So that leaves the Xterra and the Armada as the only truck based SUVs in Nissan's lineup. This is sad.

Makes sense -- the Armada for towing and the Xterra for off-roading. There's clearly no market for a mid-level off-road family car.

CALL_911

Quote from: ifcar on January 09, 2012, 05:43:27 PM
Makes sense -- the Armada for towing and the Xterra for off-roading. There's clearly no market for a mid-level off-road family car.

I can't argue with that logic.

The thing is, I can totally see Nissan discontinuing the Xterra which would really be a shame.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Atomic

love it! stylish exterior, simple, yet elegant interior. i may be in the minority but i think it is perfect for transporting a family in a highly attractive package. the color is spot on.

Catman

Atomic

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 09, 2012, 05:30:54 PM
not for long from what i understand, as both are expected to be replaced or discontinued entirely. armada (as i understand it) was to share the dodge/RAM pick-up derived nissan truck and nissan and infiniti SUV. this collaboration agreement was to produce an altima/maxima based sedan for chrysler corporation. the plan was aborted once fiat took control. at one time, that cute little dodge hornet prototype was thought be resourced out. nissan and chery were thought to be two of the few automakers rumored to be in negotiation with chrysler.

SVT666

Nissan announced today that the XTerra will remain body on frame.

MX793

Looks like a Highlander melded with a Santa Fe.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TurboDan

How many of these carbon-copy crossover vehicles do we need? All these companies are investing in these vehicles, and my thinking is that in a couple of years everyone is going to be completely sick of them.

Doesn't matter if it's a mainstream or premium brand, they all look exactly the same.

CJ

The headlights are far too large.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Catman on January 09, 2012, 07:53:37 PM
Nice Highlander

Quote from: MX793 on January 12, 2012, 08:41:31 PM
Looks like a Highlander melded with a Santa Fe.

My thoughts exactly. What's the point with the Murano around unless this is going to be their LARGE SUV while dumping the XTerra and the Armada.

Juke-->Rogue-->Murano-->Pathfinder

That would not be a bad set up.

Be interested to see how the interior space stacks up against the Explorer, Traverse, Pilot, etc.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: TurboDan on January 13, 2012, 11:04:27 AM
How many of these carbon-copy crossover vehicles do we need? All these companies are investing in these vehicles, and my thinking is that in a couple of years everyone is going to be completely sick of them.

Doesn't matter if it's a mainstream or premium brand, they all look exactly the same.

I've been making this point for awhile. As long as their competent, the Americans dominate this market. The imports get absolutely destroyed by Domestic makes.

Explorer, Edge, Grand Cherokee, Equinox, Terrain, Escape, Durango, and Lambdas accounted for over 1.2 million vehicles sold in this segment of crossovers.

That's pure domination.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 13, 2012, 12:23:29 PM
I've been making this point for awhile. As long as their competent, the Americans dominate this market. The imports get absolutely destroyed by Domestic makes.

Explorer, Edge, Grand Cherokee, Equinox, Terrain, Escape, Durango, and Lambdas accounted for over 1.2 million vehicles sold in this segment of crossovers.

That's pure domination.

When the foreign competition gets a model right, it's hugely popular, too. The Pilot and Highlander are both high-volume vehicles (on the order of twice the Durango's monthly sales), and the new Pathfinder looks like it's getting everything right to challenge them.

S204STi

They basically fucked up what was the only competition for the Toyota 4Runner. Sigh.

68_427

Quote from: S204STi on January 13, 2012, 12:54:36 PM
They basically fucked up what was the only competition for the Toyota 4Runner. Sigh.

I see the Xterra as 4Runner competition.  The Pathfinder was another class up.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on January 13, 2012, 11:04:27 AM

Agreed.  And they all look terrible.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT32V

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 13, 2012, 12:05:59 PM
My thoughts exactly. What's the point with the Murano around unless this is going to be their LARGE SUV while dumping the XTerra and the Armada.

Juke-->Rogue-->Murano-->Pathfinder

That would not be a bad set up.

Be interested to see how the interior space stacks up against the Explorer, Traverse, Pilot, etc.

I would assume the murano remains a two row softroader and the pathfinder is the three-row offering.

SVT32V

Quote from: ifcar on January 09, 2012, 05:43:27 PM

The grand cherokee seems to fit the bill of mid-level off-road car, true it is not a three-row.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT32V on January 13, 2012, 02:31:40 PM
The grand cherokee seems to fit the bill of mid-level off-road car, true it is not a three-row.

I guess the question is whether it would sell any worse if, all else being equal, it had no more off-road ability than a Ford Edge.

S204STi

Quote from: 68_427 on January 13, 2012, 01:01:18 PM
I see the Xterra as 4Runner competition.  The Pathfinder was another class up.

Uh... no.  I mean, sorta.  But not really.  4Runner was always a nicer vehicle than the Xterra in pretty much every way.  Semi-lux with off-road cred.

2o6

Quote from: S204STi on January 14, 2012, 01:53:43 AM
Uh... no.  I mean, sorta.  But not really.  4Runner was always a nicer vehicle than the Xterra in pretty much every way.  Semi-lux with off-road cred.

The 4-runner hasn't been any more luxurious then it's competition since....ever.

Fact of the matter is that no one uses these things for off road, and if you want an off roader, they still have the Xterra.

Quote from: S204STi on January 13, 2012, 12:54:36 PM

I was also under the impression last years model (similar to the explorer) sucked off road.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2012, 08:27:23 AM

The 4-runner hasn't been any more luxurious then it's competition since....ever.

The previous generation was definitely a luxury off-roader for its price class. Typical (for the time) Toyota emphasis on smoothness, quiet and interior quality, with less of the Explorer's emphasis on family-use practicality.

The current model is bigger and more expensive than the Xterra, but I can certainly see them cross-shopped for now having more similar characters.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on January 14, 2012, 10:09:54 AM
The previous generation was definitely a luxury off-roader for its price class. Typical (for the time) Toyota emphasis on smoothness, quiet and interior quality, with less of the Explorer's emphasis on family-use practicality.

The current model is bigger and more expensive than the Xterra, but I can certainly see them cross-shopped for now having more similar characters.

I kinda sorta agree that the old car was nicer than what it used to be. But the first generations seem to be SUV versions of the Tacoma/Pickup, which is basically what the Xterra is.