Hard Starting - Cold Weather

Started by 2o6, January 14, 2012, 11:04:41 PM

2o6

We had a nice snowfall and cold temperatures, and I had a hard time starting my Focus this morning.

It had a crank that was getting progressively slower, and the lights started to dim. I think it's electrically related. Once the car was started, it ran normally.

Bad battery? I have a bad habit of leaving my iPod charger/FM transmitter in my cigarette lighter, but I don't think that would be that big of a drain on the battery, no?

Secret Chimp

That's called your battery is old and it's cold outside and old batteries don't like to work in the cold.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

hotrodalex

Not necessarily a bad battery, just not a perfectly healthy battery.

Rupert

Not perfectly healthy = bad in cold weather.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

I still have the factory battery in my Focus.

MX793

Doesn't even necessarily mean the battery's bad.  It could just have a really low CCA rating because the previous owner cheaped out when they replaced the battery (or the factory went cheap, as many do).  IIRC, the factory battery in my 3 was pretty low in the CCA department (I want to say it was only like 400 CCA, maybe less) and it never cranked strongly when temperatures got down to around 0 (or below).  If you live where it gets cold, I'd have a battery rated at at least 600 CCA.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on January 15, 2012, 07:08:50 AM
Doesn't even necessarily mean the battery's bad.  It could just have a really low CCA rating because the previous owner cheaped out when they replaced the battery (or the factory went cheap, as many do).  IIRC, the factory battery in my 3 was pretty low in the CCA department (I want to say it was only like 400 CCA, maybe less) and it never cranked strongly when temperatures got down to around 0 (or below).  If you live where it gets cold, I'd have a battery rated at at least 600 CCA.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hounddog

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 14, 2012, 11:45:12 PM
Not necessarily a bad battery, just not a perfectly healthy battery.
Or, perfectly healthy battery not being properly charged by a not perfectly healthy alternator.

Could even be as simple as bad, read; corroded, connections.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2012, 11:04:41 PM
We had a nice snowfall and cold temperatures, and I had a hard time starting my Focus this morning.

It had a crank that was getting progressively slower, and the lights started to dim. I think it's electrically related. Once the car was started, it ran normally.

Bad battery? I have a bad habit of leaving my iPod charger/FM transmitter in my cigarette lighter, but I don't think that would be that big of a drain on the battery, no?

Those kind of things can drag a battery down from full charge and in cold weather you need all the cranking amps you can get.

sparkplug

You may need to drive more often or at least charge your battery. If the alternator or short is draining your battery don't let the battery die during the wintertime or you'll freeze the electrolyte and other chemicals and you could have a damaged cell. Especially if you live north of the Mason-Dixon line or whatever line it is. Anotherwords if you get a lot of snow or cold weather keep your battery charged.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

S204STi

Sounds like catastrophic engine failure.  Sell your car and start cycling everywhere.

2o6

It's probably just a tired battery. It warmed up today, and the hard starting went away.

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on January 16, 2012, 09:23:49 PM
It's probably just a tired battery. It warmed up today, and the hard starting went away.

Drive to Autozone and they will load test the battery for free, in hopes of selling you a new one.

S204STi

They won't load test it.  They'll put a chintzy electronic tester which checks CCA.  If the car has been driven a all it'll probably pass.  A proper shop with a VAT-40 (or newer) can actually load test it for you and find out if it can hold 9v under a constant load for more than 15 seconds.

shp4man

It's a 2000 Focus with the factory battery?  :lol: Replace it ASAP.

hotrodalex

Quote from: S204STi on January 17, 2012, 10:36:13 AM
They won't load test it.  They'll put a chintzy electronic tester which checks CCA.  If the car has been driven a all it'll probably pass.  A proper shop with a VAT-40 (or newer) can actually load test it for you and find out if it can hold 9v under a constant load for more than 15 seconds.

I went there for them to test the BMW's battery on Saturday. All the guy said was it was barely putting out any power, which I obviously knew considered I had to jump start it. He said it was the alternator, which again was probably not the problem. So basically no help and I wasn't sure if they would replace it at that point (it's still under warranty). I just left, though not before requiring a jump start.