aftermarket driving lights

Started by MaxPower, October 08, 2005, 02:33:32 PM

MaxPower

I'm thinking about getting a pair of driving lights for my truck.  With the early sunsets and animals in the roads some extra light won't hurt (don't worry...I'll aim them correctly!)

I'm leaning strongly toward the Hella FF1000 light (Hella FF1000) and wondered what their reputation was.  I want a quality light but I'm not going to spend $250, and these look like they're pretty good and I can find a kit for around $100.  I know Hella is a reputable brand, but is PIAA or KC better?

Run Away

Hellas are hella tight.

footoflead

QuoteHellas are hella tight.
:rockon: ...I like the fog lights on the silverado...the brights are super bright on it too
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

cozmik

Hella is probably the way to go. They are simply masters at lighting. PIAA is over rated.  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Run Away

I love lights.
At night, the front of my car can't get bright enough.

My SE should be awesome at night, it's got the mintest (read: non-milky) foglights I've seen plus Sylviana headlights, along with upgrade ground wires.

You're just looking for a pair of driving lights? Have you though of how you're going to wire them up?

MaxPower

I actually bought the FF1000's before I checked back for a response.  If they ship smoothly, installing them is next Saturday's project!  But thanks anyway for the responses, this is what I wanted to hear!   :praise:

I'm planning to mount them on the bumper of my Tacoma, inset of the headlights.  No safari or brush bar, I mocked them up with cardboard and they'll fit nicely.  I bought the kit, so it comes with the wiring harness, relays, switch ect. but I'm planning on hooking them up so they go on when I flick on the high beams.  I'd rather have them on that switch and not have to drill another hole in the dash, plus I don't intend to use them when the high beams arn't on.

I'm new to wiring cars so any tips on how to wire it into the high beams would be great.

MaxPower

Update: I installed the lights today and they work.  Whoohoo.  Pictures to follow...

footoflead

QuoteUpdate: I installed the lights today and they work.  Whoohoo.  Pictures to follow...
:rockon: Hurry up with tha pic.

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

QuoteUpdate: I installed the lights today and they work.  Whoohoo.  Pictures to follow...
:rockon: Hurry up with tha pic.
what he said.

JYODER240

Don't get Silvania SilverStars, I put them in my car and they burnt out 3 times in a year and a half. I finaly got frustrated and put the stock bulbs back in.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Catman

Raghavan

cozmik

QuoteDon't get Silvania SilverStars, I put them in my car and they burnt out 3 times in a year and a half. I finaly got frustrated and put the stock bulbs back in.
He's right. What you need are Osram SilverStar's. They are the European version of the SilverStar. They are brighter and last much longer than the U.S. version.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Catman

No pics yet? :angry:  Wanker.

Raghavan

QuoteNo pics yet? :angry:  Wanker.
LOL. :lol:  

footoflead

QuoteNo pics yet? :angry:  Wanker.
Arrest him cat :angry:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

QuoteNo pics yet? :angry:  Wanker.
Arrest him cat :angry:
:rolleyes:  :lol:  

MaxPower

...see what I didn't say in the above post was that I still had to take the pictures first  :)    Which I did this morning.  So, without further ado:

Holy Brightness Batman!

With the lights turned off:

Covered:

These puppies are GREAT.  To steal a term from KC, they really are Daylighters.  They really light up the road.  The beam does bounce a little due to the mounting location of the lights, so that's something I'm going to try to improve on.  It's not a huge deal though.  The black-on-white Hella covers aren't exactly asthetically pleasing, but the protection they provide is worth it.  I leave the lens covers on during the day.  I'm a very satisfied customer!  :lol:  

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

footoflead

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

J86

Just outta curiosity, whereabout in Maine are ya from?  I used to do alot of cruising up and down the coast, and I have a friend with a house up on Long Lake.

SaltyDog

QuoteJust outta curiosity, whereabout in Maine are ya from?  I used to do alot of cruising up and down the coast, and I have a friend with a house up on Long Lake.
I think he said somewhere around Mt. Desert Island when Acadia NP came up in the map thread.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

MaxPower

QuoteJust outta curiosity, whereabout in Maine are ya from?  I used to do alot of cruising up and down the coast, and I have a friend with a house up on Long Lake.
I live on the Blue Hill peninsula, which is the peninsula between Acadia and the Penobscot River.  I grew up in Blue Hill and this summer moved to Brooklin, a bordering town.

It's not a great map, but it's better than nothing.

J86

Oh cool, from what I remembe there were ALOT of bugs...is it near Deer Isle?  I've spent a few nights at anchor around there...Stonington I think?

MaxPower

Yeah, Deer Isle is off the end of the peninsula.  I look across Eggomoggin Reach every morning at it.  There's World-Class sailing around here.