Humorous misadventures in car modifications.

Started by Byteme, January 18, 2012, 09:03:26 AM

Byteme

A friend on another car forum posted this in response to something I posted.  I found it kind of funny.  Anybody else have some humorous misadventures?

John that reminds me of a spot light I put on my 61 Falcon,
remember them, vacuum wipers and generator. I obtained a
spot light from a Centurion Tank that had just come back
from VietNam. This thing had a bulb with 2 lots of forks
inside that had 5 filaments on each. No idea of the
wattage. I was about to head off on a couple of thousand
mile trip so quickly wired it up. Now I'm 18 at this time
so remember I know everything about everything. Don't need
a relay, just a cheap plastic toggle switch and some wire.
Set off on my trip with a mate, can't wait till it gets dark
so I can turn on the light to see hoe bright it is. The
time comes and it's like I have the sun attached to the
front of the car. Then the smoke starts coming from under
the dash. Try to turn the toggle switch off but the toggle
has melted and fallen on the floor. Grab me mate T shirt
that is sitting on the seat and wrap it round my hand and
yank the wires off the switch. All this while doing 60mph
in the dark.

Tave

When I moved to Phoenix, the air-conditioning on my 4Runner died somewhere around Albuquerque. Luckily it was September, so I had the whole winter to figure out what to do with it.

Someone told me about a bead they had on some Mexican freon, and that sounded promising, but eventually I realized I'd be back to square 1 as soon as it ran out. Now summer was upon us, and the temperatures were getting HOT. Caught between a rock and a hard place, I had to make a decision.

I decided to take the top off.

I'd always wanted to remove the top when I was in high school, but all the owners say that once you do it, the seal never sits right again. Oh well, why would I need to worry about rain in Arizona?

Taking the top off was easy, getting it into the apartment proved to be much more difficult. Two hours passed before me and my roommate realized that it simply wouldn't fit up the stairs and through the door, and as we had already accumulated several bumps and bruises trying, we decided it was time to admit defeat.

Now I had two options: 1) put the top back on, transport it to a friend's house, and beg said friend to store it in his garage indefinitely, or 2) throw it out.

In a fit of irrationality, no doubt brought upon by the mild heat stroke and injuries caused by the top itself, I made an oath then and there that the top would NEVER touch my 4Runner ever again. Luckily for me, the Mexican grounds crew at the apartment complex offered to take it off my hands, free of charge.

2 weeks later I saw a conspicuous white top with several familiar stickers attached to a red 4Runner being driven around by a very nice-looking latino man. I gave him a thumbs up as we passed one another on the road. I don't know if he saw my gesticulations, but hopefully he put two and two together and realized the top-less 4Runner driving in the other direction provided the donor organ for his ride.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

Do fits of anger and yelling count as "humorous?" Because that happens nearly weekly. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA