First Lottery Purchase

Started by Raza , January 25, 2012, 01:06:54 PM

Northlands

So far we've had a Miata and a Fiesta from the fun and excitement department.  :hammerhead:  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

J86

Quote from: Northlands on January 26, 2012, 09:25:09 PM
So far we've had a Miata and a Fiesta from the fun and excitement department.  :hammerhead:  :lol:

First car is hard!  There're about 10000000 to choose from! :lol:

Colonel Cadillac

Of course, I would instantly try to get a membership at one of those private race tracks.

93JC

Membership? You have $100,000,000: build your own.

2o6

There's more to life than cars.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 93JC on January 26, 2012, 09:28:17 PM
Membership? You have $100,000,000: build your own.

But then you have nobody to race against. 

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26567.msg1657250#msg1657250 date=1327522014
Inspired by Craig and John in John's thread.

What would be the first car you purchase if you won the lottery (a sizable amount, 100 million or more)?  You can do other firsts (house, boat, watch, sunglasses, dog, cat, standing fan, soda), but limit it to one per category.

My firsts:

Car:  Aston Martin V8 Vantage roadster with a 6 speed stick.  In a dark blue, then I'd get black wheels for it. 

Place to live:  I don't have the exact place, but I think the first purchase would be a luxury, preferably penthouse, condo in Philadelphia.

Quote from: 2o6 on January 26, 2012, 09:28:58 PM

The whole point of the thread is about a massive lottery win and .....CARS! ( and then other luxuries. )

You own a Focus, then you pick a Fiesta after a 100 million dollar lottery win.  :lol:

100 million will allow you to live a little! Trust me, I personally know someone who has won 40 million dollars. The money changes your spending habits.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 26, 2012, 05:57:50 PM
You know, since I got the bike, cars just don't thrill me like that anymore. If I had to get a car now, hmmm. I would prob build up an old Prelude or something low key like that. If I could get a bike, I'd prob get an NCR M4 One Shot. Ducati with a titanium frame, 280 something lbs (compared to 400-450 lbs stock), titanium and carbon fiber strewn all about. There aren't any street cars that can do 9s-10s out of the box so its like... meh

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 26, 2012, 08:13:57 PM
Augh I feel the same way about this car that the brown dude from EVO did... its just a monstrosity.

When it comes to cars... I just want feedback and simplicity. I would rather a well modded 240SX over this Swedish Veyron

I don't understand you at all, dude. First you say that there are no cars that do 9s-10s out of the box stock, so you don't want any current car, and that'd you'd rather have a completely pimped out bike with titanium and CF bits thrown at it, but then when a CCXR is suggested, it's too garish and you'd rather take a 240SX? :wtf: :wtf:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: thecarnut on January 26, 2012, 09:42:06 PM
I don't understand you at all, dude. First you say that there are no cars that do 9s-10s out of the box stock, so you don't want any current car, and that'd you'd rather have a completely pimped out bike with titanium and CF bits thrown at it, but then when a CCXR is suggested, it's too garish and you'd rather take a 240SX? :wtf: :wtf:

He gets $100 million and would get an old Prelude.  :confused:

MrH

Probably a new M5. Give me something more practical to go car shopping in for more ridiculous stuff :lol:.

A gt3 rs 4.0 in black would be next if i could find one. Probably put my name on the Ferrari wait list, the scuderia should be out by the time my name came up. I'd probably get the new boxster when it came out, and 911 turbo two years from now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: Northlands on January 26, 2012, 09:33:32 PM
The whole point of the thread is about a massive lottery win and .....CARS! ( and then other luxuries. )

You own a Focus, then you pick a Fiesta after a 100 million dollar lottery win.  :lol:

100 million will allow you to live a little! Trust me, I personally know someone who has won 40 million dollars. The money changes your spending habits.

No one saw the Lotus Evora post?

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on January 26, 2012, 09:47:47 PM
No one saw the Lotus Evora post?

Wasn't even an S model.  Pshaw
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

2o6

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on January 26, 2012, 09:28:58 PM
:facepalm:
Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 26, 2012, 09:44:52 PM
He gets $100 million and would get an old Prelude.  :confused:
:nutty:
:banghead:

This place never ceases to amaze!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Colonel Cadillac

I have always wanted to get a 911 GT3 RS 4.0 and a 1973 Carrera RS 2.7 that match.

Here's the Carrera RS 2.7, although I would prefer the green to be darker:

The GT3 RS 4.0 would have the same color scheme. I would then have to make my garage glass and visible from all of the windows in the rear of my house so I could stare at them all day  :tounge:

Laconian

I'd get a DB9, an XKR convertible, and an Outback. DB9 for the rainy spring and fall, the XKR for the summer months, and the Outback for when we need to haul things or get two inches of snow on the ground.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

The GT3 RS 4.0 would be my first purchase.

Assuming I get married, I'd get my wife an A6 3.0T Avant (maybe an LR4), I'd get an E90 M3 to DD, a 964 Turbo because I love them and an NSX. Can I keep the GTI?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on January 26, 2012, 11:00:58 PM
I'd get a DB9, an XKR convertible, and an Outback. DB9 for the rainy spring and fall, the XKR for the summer months, and the Outback for when we need to haul things or get two inches of snow on the ground.

You could just buy this one now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-JAGUAR-XK-R-CONVERTIBLE-NAVIGATION-20-WHEELS-LIKE-NEW-/180801361634?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a1899d6e2
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Maybe for the next purchase, but right now, we just drive about 60 miles a week, average speed is less than 20mph. :P

68_427

People get a better look at you and your JAAAAAAAAAAAAAG
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

If I got an XK today it wouldn't be an XKR anyways. That extra "R" would be totally wasted on our shitty roads and shitty traffic.

Maybe for my 30th b'day :-?

No, that's dangerous thinking...!

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on January 26, 2012, 11:16:48 PM
If I got an XK today it wouldn't be an XKR anyways. That extra "R" would be totally wasted on our shitty roads and shitty traffic.

Maybe for my 30th b'day :-?

No, that's dangerous thinking...!

Good plan. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-V8-Convertible-Nav-Heated-Seats-Bluetooth-Sirius-/170767778442?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c28d828a
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

I can't imagine why someone would bother with Fiestas and Nissan 240's with a lotto jackpot, but I can kinda see why someone wouldn't want to bother with a ridiculously powerful hypercar. The cars I'd buy are ones that I can enjoy on public roads. The most exotic I'd go for would be a Ferrari California or Audi R8 Spyder. But I'd be most excited to pick up some classic convertibles: Merc 280SE, '58 Corvette, and maybe a resto-modded Karmann Ghia with an air-cooled Porsche turbo engine. Oh, and a Ducati Monster for good measure (maybe a 696 so I don't kill myself)

Raza

:facepalm:

If you think this is directed at you, it probably is. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 26, 2012, 11:30:33 PM
I can't imagine why someone would bother with Fiestas and Nissan 240's with a lotto jackpot, but I can kinda see why someone wouldn't want to bother with a ridiculously powerful hypercar. The cars I'd buy are ones that I can enjoy on public roads. The most exotic I'd go for would be a Ferrari California or Audi R8 Spyder. But I'd be most excited to pick up some classic convertibles: Merc 280SE, '58 Corvette, and maybe a resto-modded Karmann Ghia with an air-cooled Porsche turbo engine. Oh, and a Ducati Monster for good measure (maybe a 696 so I don't kill myself)

I'd get the Ducati Sam Flynn rode in Tron.  It's a 1200, but I assume I'll have the time to learn how to ride properly. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on January 26, 2012, 09:42:06 PM
I didn't say I don't want any car. Just that cars don't really excite me that much any more, so I probably wouldn't spend too much of my money on them.

The NCR doesn't look like anything crazy. Its like an M5. It's pretty low key in appearance despite being all pimped out and incredibly well engineered, which I really like. I don't understand the gripe with choosing something like a 240SX over a CCXR either. Are 240SXs considered garish? Are they in any way like Veyrons? Cars like the GT-R and CCXR and Veyron embody a lot of what I hate about modern performance cars. I would rather get something with performance I can access, simplicity I can tinker with and feedback I don't have to drive at 10/10ths to enjoy. What's not to understand? It's not like I would keep it stock. I'd prob build up a VQ30 w/a bunch of one off parts and ride with that. 300 or so HP is more than enough for the street, and it would be something built completely to my taste. And it wouldn't yell "LOOK AT ME AND ALL MY MONEY!!!". I don't like that

I've driven big fast cars... luxury coupes... yadda yadda. For the most part, it's all just kind of boring to me now. It's like a roller coaster. Push the pedal and go. I do like a well thought out race build, or trick engineering... but I hate the increasingly thick insulation between the driver and the car. So in that context I don't see why it's hard to understand why a CCXR doesn't do it for me. I'd rather something like an NSX, whatever.

Northlands

I'd like to know how you would know that a Koenigsegg doesn't communicate well to the driver?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Northlands on January 27, 2012, 09:01:39 AM
I'd like to know how you would know that a Koenigsegg doesn't communicate well to the driver?
I don't want it. End of discussion. Someone post their choices.

sportyaccordy

Note, I didn't knock anyone elses choices. I don't see what the uproar is about. I am not telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't do, just why I wouldn't go for some of the "obvious" choices.