Condo bans owner from charging his Volt

Started by SVT666, January 27, 2012, 09:31:26 PM

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2012, 08:40:08 PM
Yeah, that's not really how that works. When you have a specific codified line item, you have to police it, which means legal changes to the HOA bylaws and the like.

Obviously it would mean a change to the condo/HOA by-laws.  Never said it didn't.  Everything I said above are hypothetical line items that could be picked up in the by-laws.  It's not like it's completely unenforceable once the by-laws are in place and it's not like HOA by-laws are never changed or amended.  My community had a no pets policy in the by-laws originally.  That was removed and new by-laws regarding pets were added.

QuoteThe condo association saw show stoppers, which is really the only word that matters.

And I think the condo association is being asinine about it and it could have been addressed in a manner that didn't require a $3000 power meter to be installed and that would set the community up for dealing with plug-in hybrids if/when more residents start purchasing them rather than starting to force everybody to install individual power meters in their parking stalls.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2012, 08:40:55 PM
There is no condo building on the planet that doesn't have separate meters for each unit.

My condo has no separate water meter for each unit.  Water is covered by the HOA fee.  Everybody pays the same for water, even though some units have 3 or 4 people living in them while others only have 1 or 2 (and presumably use less water as a result).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2012, 08:56:48 PM
My condo has no separate water meter for each unit.  Water is covered by the HOA fee.  Everybody pays the same for water, even though some units have 3 or 4 people living in them while others only have 1 or 2 (and presumably use less water as a result).

Clearly, you live in a college dorm or an illegal tenement slum.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

My apartment building 'covers' water and trash as well...

Tave

Yeah, I've lived in two separate apartment buildings with common water. Both happened to be large houses that were later broken down into units.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

:facepalm:  C'omon guys, you know perfectly well I was talking about separate power meters, you know, the actual subject of the thread.

Tave

It really doesn't matter. A shared utility is a shared utility: same outcome. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

J86

i didnt read the thread, just the post prior to mine :lol:

93JC

Quote from: J86 on January 29, 2012, 09:31:08 PM
i didnt read the thread, just the post prior to mine :lol:

You didn't miss much, just a lot of GoCougsian repeat-the-same-stupid-ignorant-statement-over-and-over-in-the-hopes-it-will-come-true bullshit.

The Volt owner in question is not "monopolizing the use of a shared amenity (outlet)": it's his outlet, it came with his parking stall, which he has the legal right to do whatever he wishes with it. All the other stalls are provided with outlets as well so that people can plug their cars' block heaters in in the winter. This is prototypical of outdoor condo parking lots throughout the country.

What is at issue is that one of his neighbours doesn't want to 'subsidize' the electricity used to charge his car's batteries. Charging an electric car is almost certainly neither explicitly permitted or banned in the condo bylaws. The condo association, in their esteemed ignorance, went along with whichever dingbat neighbour brought up this 'issue' and 'decided' charging a car consumes an inordinate amount of power.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on January 29, 2012, 09:24:55 PM
It really doesn't matter. A shared utility is a shared utility: same outcome. :huh:

Ha, ha, apparently not for moochers like this Volt owner.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2012, 10:51:03 PM
Ha, ha, apparently not for moochers like this Volt owner.

Fail again. HIS outlet in HIS parking space, paid for by HIM.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on January 29, 2012, 10:54:20 PM

Then why the issue? Perhaps I'm tainted with my experience of having owned an apartment building and having seen more than a few be given an inch and in turn take a mile. Unless I see a WAY different and detailed account of the issue as outlined in the first post I see a guy mooching and asking for special favor at the expense of his fellow condo neighbors.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2012, 10:58:41 PM
Then why the issue? Perhaps I'm tainted with my experience of having owned an apartment building and having seen more than a few be given an inch and in turn take a mile. Unless I see a WAY different and detailed account of the issue as outlined in the first post I see a guy mooching and asking for special favor at the expense of his fellow condo neighbors.

Douchebaggy neighbors getting all nosy and douchey about shit that doesn't really concern them.  "I believe you're using 3 more cents of electricity a day than I do, eh.  What's that all aboot?  Hockey, curling, polar bears as pets."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

super point. i think i overlooked "his own" outlet, assuming it was shared. moocher? hmm... not so fast, i say... what is important is what is in the lease.

Atomic

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2012, 08:59:19 PM
Clearly, you live in a college dorm or an illegal tenement slum.
ouch  :lol:

you call 'm as you c'm, soup

Byteme

Well, the $1.00 a night to charge seems right.  8 Kwh at 12.5 cents per Kwh.

Engine block heaters for cars typically run 400-600 watts so one would need to run about 13.3 to 20 hours straight to equal that.

The condo ought to assess him a $350 a year surcharge plus a one time charge of $500 for driving a smugmobile and let it go.

Byteme

Likely not.  Even if his condo is individually metered the parking garage is probably common area, like landscape lighting, and paid for out of annual fees. 

SVT666

I've designed the HVAC and plumbing for well over 50 condo buildings and water is always a common utility.  Electricity is always separately metered, and in most cases, even the outlet at the parking stall is on the individual meter and the owner can just throw the breaker at the panel in their suite when not in use to prevent others from using it.  It might be different in Ontario, but out west here, it's been like that for as long as I can remember.  Even an apartment building that I used to live in that was built in the 70s was like that.

Payman

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 30, 2012, 07:47:55 AM
Likely not.  Even if his condo is individually metered the parking garage is probably common area, like landscape lighting, and paid for out of annual fees. 

Even if it's a common parking area, he would have paid for his parking space when he bought the condo, which up here usually includes its own outlet for plugging in block heaters, for vacuuming the car, power tools, etc. I bet there's nothing in his contract about not being allowed to charge his car.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on January 30, 2012, 09:59:35 AM
I've designed the HVAC and plumbing for well over 50 condo buildings and water is always a common utility.  Electricity is always separately metered, and in most cases, even the outlet at the parking stall is on the individual meter and the owner can just throw the breaker at the panel in their suite when not in use to prevent others from using it.  It might be different in Ontario, but out west here, it's been like that for as long as I can remember.  Even an apartment building that I used to live in that was built in the 70s was like that.

The  condo my sister and brother in law live in receives one electric bill each month, low commercial rate.  It'd divided evenly between all condo owners so they pay a set amount each month.  That sure doesn't encourage individual econservation.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on January 30, 2012, 11:32:31 AM

Even if it's a common parking area, he would have paid for his parking space when he bought the condo, which up here usually includes its own outlet for plugging in block heaters, for vacuuming the car, power tools, etc. I bet there's nothing in his contract about not being allowed to charge his car.

Who knows how old the place is. Electric cars might have been a pipe dream when he bought in.  I doubt it's even addressed in the contract. 

SVT666

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 30, 2012, 12:26:48 PM
The  condo my sister and brother in law live in receives one electric bill each month, low commercial rate.  It'd divided evenly between all condo owners so they pay a set amount each month.  That sure doesn't encourage individual econservation.
I've never seen that before, but it must be a pretty old building.

Tave

Quote from: SVT666 on January 30, 2012, 12:34:33 PM

I was looking at a lot of apartments this summer and definitely noticed a push among the newest complexes to include as many amenities and utilities as possible. It's a point of sale and convenience to offer the renter a single bill each month instead of forcing them to contract out separately with each provider. It makes sense too; part of the reason some people choose to live in apartments is because it's a lot less hassle than the tic-tac nature of home ownership.

Most places required separate electric service but there were a few that included everything: water, electric, trash, internet, cable, etc...

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 28, 2012, 04:47:17 PM
Oh, and the absolute maximum amount of juice he can pull through a standard 15A outlet amounts to about 1.8 KwH/hour. Even if he did that 24 hours a day, seven days a week, it would cost the HOA about $24.20/week.

The most pertinent post of the thread.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on January 30, 2012, 12:34:33 PM

Probably from the 70's would be my guess. 

When I lived in Austin I moved around year to year.  Sometimes I lived in an ABP (all bills paid) apartment, sometimes I lived in a separately metered apartment.  In every case water was common to everyone.