Suburban electronic issues/other problems...what's up with GM?

Started by BENZ BOY15, January 28, 2012, 12:04:26 AM

BENZ BOY15

I love the "Subs", but it's a mess. The electronics/AC/heat is all messed up. Only zero & five work for the AC or heat (three used to, but not anymore). So either it's blasting or you get nothing.

Then we have the problem where the AC "magically" turns into heat and well...you got heat blasting out. The seat heaters turn on randomly. You push forward on the seat mover/whatever...and the seat goes back. I should take a picture of the dash...you can't even see the markings of what's what...it's all warn off due to shitty build quality. My brother & I know what button is which, so it's not a problem...and my parents don't drive it. Then there was one or two (maybe three) times where it just died in the school parking lot and my brother had it towed. LOL. I think it was due to different things...one being that the key wouldn't come out. I'll have to ask him tomorrow as that's his daily driver. Mom stole the Fit.

Then the key won't come out of the ignition. You have to fuck with it until it FINALLY does and a lot of the time it's luck...but sometimes it takes a long time.

The only two things that do work (in a consistent manner) are the engine and the sound system. It still runs and blasts music....and is comfortable....notwithstanding the torn driver leather seat. It's good for carrying horse related items as well.

Is this....normal? It's been taken in for "service" and the electronics are still shot.

Praise God that it's going to be retired to die in Central California come this summer or spring....upon which my Dad will go buy another Honda.

Those have had NO problems at all.

We had a 1994 Ho' before that and it was pretty questionable as well. The engine blew up on the freeway and that was the end of that SUV.

So basically....why all the electronic problems? Have they been fixed by GM in the years since?

And it has like 120,000 miles.

Hondas (we've owned numerous ones going back to 1984)....no problems. Two GM Suvs: A lot of problems.

?

GoCougs

"Service" is not repair however. Even the best machines (Hondas) need repair. Chances are to some extent some of those problems emanate from smaller maintenance/repair issues that went unaddressed and from abuse. Even so, to answer the implied question, yes, overall the Japanese simply build a higher quality/more reliable/longer lived product than Detroit.

CJ

The climate control problem sounds like a bad control unit, which these are notorious for. The blower motor on these is also pretty weak.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: GoCougs on January 28, 2012, 12:35:50 AM
"Service" is not repair however. Even the best machines (Hondas) need repair. Chances are to some extent some of those problems emanate from smaller maintenance/repair issues that went unaddressed and from abuse. Even so, to answer the implied question, yes, overall the Japanese simply build a higher quality/more reliable/longer lived product than Detroit.

Ya, that was the implied point: It seems that Hondas are (were?) built to a higher standard.

As for repairing the electronics/AC/Heat....it still works, so it doesn't need fixing...and that's good enough. I guess.

68_427

Just buy another GMT400.  Ignore the fact that your GMT400 Tahoe blew up.  The GMT400s were quite possibly the best trucks/suvs ever made.  For you know truck like things.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no