Would you do this trade?

Started by MexicoCityM3, February 03, 2012, 11:04:33 AM

MexicoCityM3

Long shot, but the idea has been creeping into my mind.

I am being offered a 2008 M5 at a price that is a little less what I could get today for my E90 if I sell it.

Most likely I?ll keep the M3 but this trade may be a good idea. This particular M5 has half the mileage of my M3 and is one model year earlier. It seems to be in pristine condition (I?ll check it out next week). It is a different kind of car, but also very special. There is no way I can get it right now in addition to my other cars, the E46 M3 I won?t part with and the 1M I am still paying.

The E90 M3 is a better track car but the M5 wouldn?t see the track (maybe one day only just to feel it). But as a highway cruiser I think it might be superior to the M3 and it sort of better "complements" the E46 & 1M. Maintenance can be scary - specially the SMG box but the very low mileage makes it seem quite safe (it has only 17K miles).

I have got all my cars new and love the feeling of knowing exactly how they were broken in, etc, but this M5 is a bit tempting.

Thoughts?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

You already have a bunch of trackable cars. I assume you've driven the M5?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Rupert on February 03, 2012, 01:19:02 PM
You already have a bunch of trackable cars. I assume you've driven the M5?

I have ridden in it, never driven it. I will drive it sometime next week.

I was just on the phone with a friend at corporate BMW here. He says that the SMG box will fail with about 30% probability and that any repair to that would be costly. Where costly is between 5k and 10k. So that has to be taken into consideration as well. He also says that most failures are due to driving it "like an automatic" and, for example, holding the car un uphills (lots of those in Mexico City) with the throttle.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

I know nobody cares  :huh: but I will be testing the M5 tomorrow. Will report anyway.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

hotrodalex

I have absolutely no experience with M5s, so I couldn't tell you what I would do. If you like, go for it. I'd say it all depends on your driving preference. Since you already have two other BMWs, maybe it'd be best to get the one that drives differently than your E46 or 1M (assuming "differently" doesn't mean "worse")

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 08, 2012, 01:55:14 PM
I know nobody cares  :huh: but I will be testing the M5 tomorrow. Will report anyway.

I care. 

I have been thinking it over.  I don't think I'd do it, personally.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2012, 02:07:09 PM
I care. 

Thank you. I wanted to throw in some drama given how other car decision threads get so much attention.  :cry:

In any case, I will be testing the M5 along with one of my business associates who is deciding between that and a brand new F30 328i (Cost is the same). My ideal scenario is for him to get it so that I can - at a later date - buy it from him if I want it. He is not one to keep cars forever.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

SVT666

I would do it.  You already have a couple trackable cars, why do you need 3?

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2012, 02:07:09 PM
I care. 

Agreed. 

30% failure rate is kinda scary.  If it were a stick, that would be a different story. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Xer0

I personally wouldn't since I haven't heard great things about the SMG.  But, you do have 3 cars that are very similar so a change of scenery might not be that bad of an idea.  Although, if you do get the M5 now and end up loving it, imagine how bad you're going to get when the F10 M5 comes out.  It?s release is like right around the corner and it looks much, much better than the previous M5 (what is the chassis code on that one anyway).  By saying no today, you are saying no to future temptation.

Besides, if I were you I?d be eyeing the new 6 series.  After three track cars, a badass top down cruiser might not be so bad.

mzziaz

I'd do it, I think. I'd try the SMG first, though.
Cuore Sportivo

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Xer0 on February 08, 2012, 02:18:08 PM
I personally wouldn't since I haven't heard great things about the SMG.  But, you do have 3 cars that are very similar so a change of scenery might not be that bad of an idea.  Although, if you do get the M5 now and end up loving it, imagine how bad you're going to get when the F10 M5 comes out.  It?s release is like right around the corner and it looks much, much better than the previous M5 (what is the chassis code on that one anyway).  By saying no today, you are saying no to future temptation.

Besides, if I were you I?d be eyeing the new 6 series.  After three track cars, a badass top down cruiser might not be so bad.

The new M5 is out here already. Got a test ride recently. It is great but absolutely out of my price range for the time being (125K). This used M5 is 40K.

There are two categories of cars that I want next:

- An open top roadster. In this category the cars I?d be interested in are the Mazda MX-5 or a used Boxster or Z4/Z4M (previous gen). BMW has nothing new that I want but I might look at the MINI roadster that just came out.
- An SUV. I love the new Evoque.

Regarding this M5 it is more of an opportunity thing of a low mileage car being available at a good price. I hope my partner gets it and then I have no decision to make right now.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

SVT666

If I were you, I would skip the M5 and go straight for a convertible. 

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

That V10 is intoxicating but not worth the SMG failure costs

Why not meet in the middle and get an E39 M5?

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 08, 2012, 05:18:29 PM
That V10 is intoxicating but not worth the SMG failure costs

Why not meet in the middle and get an E39 M5?

I love the E39 M5 but there are extremely few of those in Mexico. None that I know of are for sale right now in the entire country.

Also, the E39 is very close to the E90 M3 in dimensions and I think the E90 is the superior car.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

sportyaccordy

Yea but you could further separate the purposes. And build a hell of a highway stormer. You could def supercharge an E39 M5 for the price of an E92. Then take the rest of the change and further sharpen the E46 + 1M.

Rich

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 08, 2012, 05:32:38 PM
Yea but you could further separate the purposes. And build a hell of a highway stormer. You could def supercharge an E39 M5 for the price of an E92. Then take the rest of the change and further sharpen the E46 + 1M.

He just said there weren't any for sale.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

cawimmer430

You only live once. Go for it.

Go for it. The M5 might also be a bit of a "challenge" to drive on a track since it's less nimble and heavier than an M3. This might make driving it competitively on the track much more fun since you really have to control, know and feel the car more than you had to with the M3.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 08, 2012, 02:10:06 PM
Thank you. I wanted to throw in some drama given how other car decision threads get so much attention.  :cry:

In any case, I will be testing the M5 along with one of my business associates who is deciding between that and a brand new F30 328i (Cost is the same). My ideal scenario is for him to get it so that I can - at a later date - buy it from him if I want it. He is not one to keep cars forever.

I drive a car the size of a 3 series now and personally I wouldn't want to go any bigger.  As I recall, you don't have kids, so why the extra space?  If it's a comfort issue, there are probably better choices out there than an older M5.  Plus, I have serious reservations about the transmission.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 08, 2012, 02:23:27 PM
The new M5 is out here already. Got a test ride recently. It is great but absolutely out of my price range for the time being (125K). This used M5 is 40K.

There are two categories of cars that I want next:

- An open top roadster. In this category the cars I?d be interested in are the Mazda MX-5 or a used Boxster or Z4/Z4M (previous gen). BMW has nothing new that I want but I might look at the MINI roadster that just came out.
- An SUV. I love the new Evoque.

Regarding this M5 it is more of an opportunity thing of a low mileage car being available at a good price. I hope my partner gets it and then I have no decision to make right now.

I am struggling with the convertible thing right now myself.  I love convertibles, but the Z4 M coupe look so much damn better than the roadster. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

I don't think I'd do it. Personally, I just like the E90 M3 more than the E60 M5.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

The E90 M3 really does seem to be a better car than any M5. The more I think about it the less the trade makes sense. I would probably hold off and save up for an old M3 convertible.

CALL_911

^Fuck no, don't do that. If you're gonna get a 'vert, get a Boxster S.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

I would keep the E90. The E60 doesn't seem like it'd be worth it considering it can have some transmission problems.

I'd just add an MX-5 on the side.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 09, 2012, 11:55:16 AM
The E90 M3 really does seem to be a better car than any M5. The more I think about it the less the trade makes sense. I would probably hold off and save up for an old M3 convertible.

For an open top car, I don't think I'd get an M3. It loses quite a bit of sporting ability vs. the coupe.

I'd much rather have a two seater.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Well, we went to see the M5 today. I didn't drive it, just rode as a passenger. My partner drove it and was very excited, I think he will get it which is the best scenario.

The car is in excellent shape, has only 16K miles which is nothing for an '08. What I could take away as a passenger was:

- It rides slightly better than the E90
- The engine sound was designed in heaven (or hell, but you get my point).
- My expectations were so low for the SMG box in auto mode that I was actually pleasantly surprised by its relative smoothness in the less agressive modes

Interior space in the back is better than the E90 but the difference isn't as large as I thought.

Depreciation in this car is incredibly high. This car cost 115K new and now its worth barely above 40K. My E90 cost me 65K new in '09 and I could get 45K for it today. That price is what makes this M5 attractive. And the very low mileage.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on February 09, 2012, 09:27:17 AM
I am struggling with the convertible thing right now myself.  I love convertibles, but the Z4 M coupe look so much damn better than the roadster. 

I've driven both on-track. I prefer the roadster really, the sound of the engine and open top make up easily for the looks deficit.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 09, 2012, 09:09:07 PM
I've driven both on-track. I prefer the roadster really, the sound of the engine and open top make up easily for the looks deficit.

But the roofline is soooooo sexy!

A higher res version of that was my desktop background until a couple of days ago.  

Also,

The more I look at it, the more I feel that it's my next car.

The roadster is great, but it just doesn't compare.

I mean, it looks damn good and I bet it's great to drive.  An old school bruiser compared to the very svelte Boxster.  It's a saber compared to a rapier.  Or whatever sword analogy is appropriate. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

You can always replace the SMG with a RELIABLE A/T transmission from a Toyota Camry V6 because that tranny was designed to handle some badass power.

Ok, the last Wimmer Camry joke. Ever!  :lol:  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie