Spy Shots: 07 Lincoln Aviator

Started by ifcar, October 10, 2005, 07:48:54 AM

ifcar

The first pictures of the 2007 Aviator wearing its production sheetmetal have been taken - and the Aviator is shaping up quite similar to the new Ford Edge we showed you two weeks ago on TCC.

Riding on the new CD3 platform, the Aviator will compete with the likes of Acura's MDX and the Lexus RX. It will likely be powered by a new 3.5-liter V-6 with 245 horsepower, with other engine options to follow.

The Aviator will begin production in August of 2006 in Oakville , Ont., alongside its sibling, Ford's new Edge. And although the profile may look like the Edge, there are many exterior differences in the front and back. With clearly unique styling, the Aviator carries the concept's taillight design across the back of the tailgate, and incorporates many Lincoln cues up front in its grille and headlamps.

Front-wheel drive will be standard, with an all-wheel-drive version also available.

Catman

Looks like Ford is trying to compete with the Lexus RX.  I like the current one better.

ifcar

No one bought the current one. Car-based midsize SUVs seem more popular in the premium market by now anyway.

Catman

QuoteNo one bought the current one. Car-based midsize SUVs seem more popular in the premium market by now anyway.
That's true.  Too bad though because the current one is a damn good vehicle with a nice drivetrain.

Raghavan

Man, another SUV that goes from RWD to FWD. :angry:
I actually really liked the aviator. a smaller, better looking navigator.

mazda6er

QuoteMan, another SUV that goes from RWD to FWD. :angry:
When they go from truck based to car based, that tends to happen. ;)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

It looks nice, although I prefer the nice, crisp styling of the current one.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

It's a little too rounded and "cute".

Raghavan

When they go from truck based to car based, that tends to happen. ;)
Thanks for clearing that dude. :rolleyes:  :lol:  

Secret Chimp

I actually really liked the aviator. a smaller, better looking navigator.
Nobody fuckin' used those things to off-road, there's no difference.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

He some how thinks that a RWD vehicle will always handle better than a FWD vehicle of the same type :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it looks like the exterior will stay pretty loyal to the concept which is definitely a good thing.

BMWDave

QuoteHe some how thinks that a RWD vehicle will always handle better than a FWD vehicle of the same type :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it looks like the exterior will stay pretty loyal to the concept which is definitely a good thing.
Lincoln does need more youthful products at the moment :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteHe some how thinks that a RWD vehicle will always handle better than a FWD vehicle of the same type :rolleyes:

No, but if Lincoln wants to be a Caddy competitor again, they have to move back to RWD.

TBR

With their cars, yes, but not necessarily with their suvs. And, I think Ford has decided Volvo would be a better sports luxury brand than Lincoln.

Raghavan

QuoteWith their cars, yes, but not necessarily with their suvs. And, I think Ford has decided Volvo would be a better sports luxury brand than Lincoln.
Why not their SUV's either?

TBR

Because I think a FWD based AWD suv can be just as sporty as a RWD one. But, no one has really tried it so who really knows? Either way, if all of their cars are RWD it wouldn't make sense for their suv to be FWD based anyway.

Raghavan

QuoteBecause I think a FWD based AWD suv can be just as sporty as a RWD one. But, no one has really tried it so who really knows? Either way, if all of their cars are RWD it wouldn't make sense for their suv to be FWD based anyway.
I don't know, but i heard somewhere that Caddy and Lincoln were losing their older buyers because they wanted RWD, but Caddy and Lincoln went to FWD, so now Caddy's gone back to RWD. I don't know why Lincoln doesn't do that.

TBR

Cadillac and Buick have been selling FWD cars for 20 years and that hasn't effected their sales.

Raghavan

QuoteCadillac and Buick have been selling FWD cars for 20 years and that hasn't effected their sales.
That's what i read in an article, so....

TBR

Well I doubt it is true, otherwise the DTS wouldn't still be FWD.  

Raghavan

QuoteWell I doubt it is true, otherwise the DTS wouldn't still be FWD.
But they've changed everything else back to RWD.

mazda6er

QuoteCadillac and Buick have been selling FWD cars for 20 years and that hasn't effected their sales.
That's what i read in an article, so....
:o  OMG.

So I guess if Volvo is going to be the sporty car brand, that leaves Lincoln to compete with Buick, and Lexus/Toyota? Shouldn't be too hard if they revamp their sedan lineup. And for once, I do believe RWD should be part of the equation.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

QuoteWell I doubt it is true, otherwise the DTS wouldn't still be FWD.
But they've changed everything else back to RWD.
Yeah, but not to draw the older crowd back in, rather too attract the younger buyers.

ifcar

A FWD car-based SUV will almost always be sportier on-road than a RWD truck-based SUV. The only way for this thing to be RWD, yet car-based (which should actually attract younger buyers) would be to base it on a RWD sedan like the Cadillac SRX. But they don't have AWD, so this works better.