Acura ILX Production Model...

Started by 2o6, February 08, 2012, 10:23:10 PM

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on February 09, 2012, 11:53:38 AM
It's just popular to hate on Acura. Their cars aren't exciting, but they are still well built and offer a balanced package for average consumers.

The grille sucks but that's the only reason to have a visceral reaction to the brand IMO.

You can't deny that Acura has stagnated in the past few years, along with Honda.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 09, 2012, 11:57:07 AM
Aside from fleet sales, how well have the S40 and A3 done?

Also, isn't that market covered by the TSX, which has done quite well?

The TSX is much bigger, and feels it.

The S40 (not counting V50 and C30 versions) sold some 25,000 in 2005 and 2006 (when it was still fresh), then dropped pretty quickly from there. I don't know if it was already fleet-heavy at that point, but that's solid for a minor brand and fielding a not terribly outstanding product.

93JC

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 09, 2012, 11:57:07 AM
Also, isn't that market covered by the TSX, which has done quite well?

TSX is being eliminated. TL will shrink a tiny bit and RL will grow. Instead of having three sedans that are very close in size as it is now there will be a compact ILX, midsize TL and large RL.

I can see the ILX being nothing but a curio in the US (simply because of its size, let alone its price) but at least they're making a concerted effort at making a good compact and will subsequently differentiate the rest of the sedans better.

Cookie Monster

To be honest, I don't like the back end that much, but I'd totally take one with the 2.4 and 6 speed.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

It's just popular to hate on Acura. Their cars aren't exciting, but they are still well built and offer a balanced package for average consumers.

The grille sucks but that's the only reason to have a visceral reaction to the brand IMO.

I dunno, that sounds like a statement a GM guy would say circa 2003.

Although styling isn't exactly pretty, I think the fault lies in the fact that the only competitive model they seem to have is maybe the TSX. (Which I find to be ugly, but that's beside the point) The RL is far too old to be sold today, the TL is hideous and expensive for what you're getting, the new ILX has lame powertrains and looks to be a class below the Lexus CT in terms of economy and (if Honda's recent efforts are to go by) build quality, too. Then the RDX and MDX seem to be non-events in their respective classes, but I can't say anything about actual sales, so I don't know too much on that one.

I think it's sad. 5 years ago, Honda/Acura seemed to be on the right track. Now, their cars are almost flat-out undesirable.

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 09, 2012, 11:52:17 AM
See, my problem isn't so much with the ILX as it is the segment to begin with. I can't wrap my head around who would buy an ILX or a Verano.

Old people and young professionals (women).

Quote from: thecarnut on February 09, 2012, 12:34:56 PM
To be honest, I don't like the back end that much, but I'd totally take one with the 2.4 and 6 speed.

For the price, I don't think I would.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on February 09, 2012, 12:26:47 PM
TSX is being eliminated. TL will shrink a tiny bit and RL will grow. Instead of having three sedans that are very close in size as it is now there will be a compact ILX, midsize TL and large RL.

"Acura says the compact will be priced "well below $30,000" and will not replace the TSX, which currently starts just south of $30,000."

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/02/2013-acura-ilx-at-the-2012-chicago-auto-show.html

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on February 09, 2012, 12:40:51 PM
"Acura says the compact will be priced "well below $30,000" and will not replace the TSX, which currently starts just south of $30,000."

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/02/2013-acura-ilx-at-the-2012-chicago-auto-show.html

That must be a retraction, because up until now, Acura had been touting the ILX as a TSX replacement.

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on February 09, 2012, 12:39:44 PM
Then the RDX and MDX seem to be non-events in their respective classes, but I can't say anything about actual sales, so I don't know too much on that one.

The MDX is one of the best cars in its class and is Acura's best seller for good reason.  Its about their only product that they haven't screwed up.

I think lower spec TLs, especially after the refresh, are decent cars too.

SVT32V

Quote from: ifcar on February 09, 2012, 11:55:32 AM
Someone who wants a premium car, doesn't equate bigger with better, and doesn't want a BMW 3-Series price tag -- the Volvo S40/Audi A3 market, basically, taking advantage of the fact that those two are each nearly a decade old by now.

With regular cars having so much content in the under/low $30K range, is this really premium other than the acura badge?

I would think a BMW 1 series pulls off entry premium much better than the ill-X, or a mini-cooper for that matter.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT32V on February 09, 2012, 01:28:03 PM
With regular cars having so much content in the under/low $30K range, is this really premium other than the acura badge?

I would think a BMW 1 series pulls off entry premium much better than the ill-X, or a mini-cooper for that matter.

The 1-Series isn't going to get mainstream customers until it has more space and more than four doors, and the other fully-loaded cars tend to be bigger. As long as Acura (and Buick) have better interior quality and a quieter, more sophisticated drive than something like a Mazda3, they'll hit a niche.

SVT32V

Wow, the base engine is a SOHC with 150 hp, welcome to 1993. The top engine only makes 200 at 7K, not very inspiring, not much of a redline for a little 4cyl.

I am not sure it will seem so refined with such underpowered lumps under the hood.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on February 09, 2012, 11:49:11 AM
Overall I don't understand the hate for this car. Yes, it's quite 'understated' in its execution. Perhaps even boring. But it's a hell of a lot better than the Civic's milquetoast refresh.

Milquetoast!  Great word choice.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Hideous and overpriced are two good reasons to hate on Acura.  How do you build a brand where all your models are based on old Honda Accords?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Hideous is subjective - the TL now looks pretty good and one would assume that look would propagate to the rest of the lineup. They aren't overpriced, either; they're very well priced vis-a-vis the offerings from Volvo, Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, and the rest of the second-tier luxury segment.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on February 09, 2012, 02:29:09 PM
Hideous is subjective - the TL now looks pretty good and one would assume that look would propagate to the rest of the lineup. They aren't overpriced, either; they're very well priced vis-a-vis the offerings from Volvo, Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, and the rest of the second-tier luxury segment.

They're overpriced for a bunch of ugly old Accords. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on February 09, 2012, 12:40:51 PM

I didn't say it was a direct replacement, did I? I just said the TSX was going away.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on February 09, 2012, 02:29:09 PM

I disagree totally. IMO the TL's problem was never the grille. It was the horrible proportions, fussy-yet-bland detailing, and general awkard fascias and styling. The grille makes it slightly better, but the car still looks like crap.

YO

I prefer long in the tooth fwd Audis/tarted up jettas with overdone nopi/walmart headlights...

Quote from: Raza  on February 09, 2012, 02:18:56 PM
Hideous and overpriced are two good reasons to hate on Acura.  How do you build a brand where all your models are based on old Honda Accords?
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 09, 2012, 12:02:31 AM
What the hell? Why would Acura replace the most competitive car in its lineup?
Same reason they dumped solid names like "Integra" and "Legend" for TLSHAWDOMGWTFBBQ. They want to remain a nice brand and love the challenge of having to start over.

Honda has really fallen off the wagon. The trajectory they've made over the last decade is downright depressing.