Acura ILX Production Model...

Started by 2o6, February 08, 2012, 10:23:10 PM

2o6

I will take the Verano every day of the week, and twice on sundays. Powertrains are thoroughly lackluster, the design looks like a Dodge Avenger and the interior is a hot mess.

The exterior does not exude class, or anything that befits a luxury make. The interior is needlessly fussy, and looks to be of the same level of cheap as the new Civic. Why should I buy this over a C30? Verano? Heck, an Elantra?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/07/2013-acura-ilx-puts-a-familiar-face-on-entry-level-luxury/

CJ

The interior really does look like a mess.

Xer0

I'd take this over the Verano everyday of the week.  With the 2.4l its pretty much an SI with a far better interior while the Verano is fat, gutless Cruze. 

I was expecting far more out of the interior, however.  It reminds me of the Civic way too easily.  Although I like the exterior.

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on February 08, 2012, 10:41:20 PM
I'd take this over the Verano everyday of the week.  With the 2.4l its pretty much an SI with a far better interior while the Verano is fat, gutless Cruze. 

I was expecting far more out of the interior, however.  It reminds me of the Civic way too easily.  Although I like the exterior.

Keep in mind this will also do double duty as replacing the TSX, too. The Verano will defenitely be cheaper.

Even when in comaprison to the Regal, the ILX loses.

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on February 08, 2012, 10:45:02 PM
Keep in mind this will also do double duty as replacing the TSX, too. The Verano will defenitely be cheaper.

Even when in comaprison to the Regal, the ILX loses.

The Verano starts at like 27K and this will probably start at around the same amount for the base car, maybe a bit less.  It will also probably be lighter so performance should be a wash.  The 2.4 will step on the toes of the Regal but it'll be a better performer than the base car and cheaper than the turbo, probably (we don't have prices right?).

As for the TSX/TL, yeah, the TSX will probably fall by the wayside in a couple of years.  I hope Honda brings the TL down a class and gives us a decent RL this time to get a full lineup starting with the ILX.

Still, I don't think this car goes near far enough.  It needs more performance and it needs the hybrid to not be a total joke.

2o6

The Verano starts at 22K.

Regal starts at around 27-28.

The current TSX starts at around 30K, but I expect the ILX to be around 28K, I'd say.

For reference, the 328i is 34K, but it's faster, better performing, whole lot better looking and offers better economy.

68_427

Verano Turbo for me please.  250hp, and a nice ass interior.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on February 08, 2012, 11:00:11 PM
The Verano starts at 22K.

Regal starts at around 27-28.

The current TSX starts at around 30K, but I expect the ILX to be around 28K, I'd say.

For reference, the 328i is 34K, but it's faster, better performing, whole lot better looking and offers better economy.

Holy, it does start at 23.5k, didn't realize it was that cheap.  Still, a base Verano is equipped like an EX Civic and the base ILX will probably be equipped a decent amount better.  When you get to the leather option package and add a sunroof (stuff the ILX will probably have standard) it starts dipping into 27/28k territory.  Besides, I think 28k is way too high and realistically think it will come closer to 25k for the base and 27k for the Si variant.  The Si variant will handily outperform the base Verano or Regal too.

Were the ILX fails is in the interior that just doesn?t look as good as it should be, in the fact that it doesn?t have different engines then the Civic it?s based on, it has no high performance variant, and it still uses a 5-spd. 

Besides, bringing in the 328 is pointless as it shits all over all three cars with ease.

Vinsanity

What the hell? Why would Acura replace the most competitive car in its lineup?

As for this, I actually like the front, but that rear window kink, WTF?

*sigh* I remember when Acuras were good cars. Whenever I see whatever shit they're up to nowadays, it makes me wish I had my old TL to remind me of better days.

Raza

It doesn't look that bad.  Which is a huge improvement over the rest of their lineup. 

So this is replacing the TSX?  What is it based on?  Why is it called ILX?  That's a stupid name, as far as made up word salad names go.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Pretty sure this goes below the TSX
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Hachee

Another disappointing Acura.  I'm no fan of the Verano - it just looks terrible to me (and I'm not anti-Buick - I like the Regal and the Lacrosse).  I'd want neither of these cars.

You can't compare these to a 3 Series.  It might be a similar size, but it's light years better than these, and much more expensive (forget the base price of a 3 - it's meaningless).

CALL_911

It's really not a bad looking car at all. I wouldn't buy one, though. The interior isn't that bad.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TurboDan

Don't get why anyone would buy this over a loaded Accord. And don't get why anyone would buy an Accord over a Fusion at this point.

I actually did always like the TSX, but the more I look at Honda's bulbous cab-forward interior styling, the more it annoys me. This particular model takes the cake. Whoever said the interior looks like it was taken from a Civic is right on.

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on February 09, 2012, 04:23:12 AM
So this is replacing the TSX?

CSX.

QuoteWhat is it based on?

Civic.

QuoteWhy is it called ILX?

:huh:

Xer0

How much of a premium is the CSX over the Civic?

93JC

CSX started around $25,000, while the Civic sedan's base price is $14,990. Civic Si is about $26,000, and the CSX Type-S (same powertrain as the Si) started around $33,000.

We didn't get a Civic EX-L trim until this year. Previously the only way to get leather interior trim, navigation, etc. was to get a CSX.

SVT32V

CALL_911

Quote from: TurboDan on February 09, 2012, 09:30:39 AM
Don't get why anyone would buy this over a loaded Accord. And don't get why anyone would buy an Accord over a Fusion at this point.

I actually did always like the TSX, but the more I look at Honda's bulbous cab-forward interior styling, the more it annoys me. This particular model takes the cake. Whoever said the interior looks like it was taken from a Civic is right on.

Well, of course it was taken from a Civic. Isn't it a Civic?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

93JC

I think you'd have to be on crack to think the Civic and ILX's interiors look anything alike:

S204STi

I like the interior styling (of the ILX), the exterior is a bit bland (ironically, for an Acura), and the powertrain is uninspiring to me personally.  I'm sure it would be a decent drive though.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on February 09, 2012, 10:29:22 AM
I think you'd have to be on crack to think the Civic and ILX's interiors look anything alike:

Yeah, that's definitely an Acura-styled interior. I think Acura's current interior styling is too pedestrian, but this matches them and certainly looks nothing like a Civic.

Laconian

Yup. It looks like a compressed TSX interior, with slightly lower rent HVAC controls.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

I thought it looked a lot like a miniature TL interior.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

93JC

That's what I thought too. Reminds me a lot of a TL.

Overall I don't understand the hate for this car. Yes, it's quite 'understated' in its execution. Perhaps even boring. But it's a hell of a lot better than the Civic's milquetoast refresh.

If I was in the market for this sort of car I'd think long and hard about an ILX. What else would I buy, anyway? Buick Verano? Volvo S40? Meh...

CALL_911

Quote from: 93JC on February 09, 2012, 11:49:11 AM
That's what I thought too. Reminds me a lot of a TL.

Overall I don't understand the hate for this car. Yes, it's quite 'understated' in its execution. Perhaps even boring. But it's a hell of a lot better than the Civic's milquetoast refresh.

If I was in the market for this sort of car I'd think long and hard about an ILX. What else would I buy, anyway? Buick Verano? Volvo S40? Meh...

See, my problem isn't so much with the ILX as it is the segment to begin with. I can't wrap my head around who would buy an ILX or a Verano.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

It's just popular to hate on Acura. Their cars aren't exciting, but they are still well built and offer a balanced package for average consumers.

The grille sucks but that's the only reason to have a visceral reaction to the brand IMO.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 09, 2012, 11:52:17 AM
See, my problem isn't so much with the ILX as it is the segment to begin with. I can't wrap my head around who would buy an ILX or a Verano.

Someone who wants a premium car, doesn't equate bigger with better, and doesn't want a BMW 3-Series price tag -- the Volvo S40/Audi A3 market, basically, taking advantage of the fact that those two are each nearly a decade old by now.

CALL_911

Quote from: ifcar on February 09, 2012, 11:55:32 AM
Someone who wants a premium car, doesn't equate bigger with better, and doesn't want a BMW 3-Series price tag -- the Volvo S40/Audi A3 market, basically, taking advantage of the fact that those two are each nearly a decade old by now.

Aside from fleet sales, how well have the S40 and A3 done?

Also, isn't that market covered by the TSX, which has done quite well?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi