C/D makes an unexpected verdict

Started by SaltyDog, October 10, 2005, 01:00:15 PM

SaltyDog

First Face-Off

Mazda MX-5 vs. Pontiac Solstice
BY TONY QUIROGA
PHOTOGRAPHY BY JIM FRANK
October 2005

It took some wrangling, but we got a Pontiac Solstice and a Mazda MX-5 together for a day. It wasn't enough time for a traditional comparison test, which can exhaust the better part of a week, but it was enough time to draw some conclusions in nine purely subjective (touchy-feely) categories crucial to roadster enjoyment.

Exterior: Park the Mazda next to the Pontiac, and the show-car-like American two-seater is the one that will draw a crowd. The Solstice has the advantage of a brand-new shape, wheels at the corners, and bulges in all the right places. The MX-5 isn't styled as radically as the Solstice, but it does look lighter and more agile. Advantage: Solstice.

Interior: Like the exterior, the interior of the MX-5 is a fresh interpretation of the previous-generation car. For the most part, the fit and finish of the Mazda is better than the Solstice's. The Solstice has generally mediocre interior plastic, but the classy instrument surround almost makes up for that. Both roadsters have tilting steering columns (neither telescopes), but the Mazda's moves higher to clear the view of the instruments. Also, the Mazda doesn't lock you in until you remove the key. Advantage: MX-5.

Top operation: Neither has a power top, but the MX-5's can be raised or lowered from the driver seat. It's easy to operate the Solstice's top, but you do have to get out. Advantage: MX-5.

Practicality: The MX-5 has a weekend-trip-friendly trunk that doesn't lose capacity when the top is down. When the Solstice's top comes down and competes for space, the trunk goes from minute to minuscule. Inside, both have similar storage spaces, and the Solstice has handy pockets in the front of the seats. Advantage: MX-5.

Road Tests
Mazda MX-5
Pontiac Solstice
Ride: On rough roads, the MX-5 feels as if it has softer springs and more wheel travel than the Solstice. The MX-5 feels wispy and light on its feet, but the Solstice's stiffer suspension still manages to sop up the bumps while feeling more planted. Advantage: Solstice.
Handling: Both have handling limits that are substantial yet easy to probe. Approach the limits in the MX-5, and the softer suspension never quite settles down. The light-footed ride gives the MX-5 a delicate character. The Solstice trades that featheriness for a secure, buttoned-down feel at the limit. Comparatively narrow summer tires on the MX-5 stick and then break away; the Solstice's wider all-season rubber loses grip more gradually. Advantage: Solstice.

Structure: It takes a lot to get either roadster to shake, but the heavier Solstice feels a little stiffer. Advantage: Solstice.

Primary controls: The shifter in the MX-5 doesn't go easily into gear when cold; once warm, its short throws and directness are superior to the Solstice's good but unremarkable gearbox. Brake-pedal feel is similar in both cars: no lost motion and easy to modulate. We preferred the turn-in feel of the Solstice's steering-nicely weighted and precise. The MX-5's gets you close to the contact patches, but excessive kickback over bad roads gets annoying. Advantage: Draw.

Engine: The MX-5 sounds wimpy at idle but builds revs quickly and sounds happier as the revs increase. The Solstice idles better and barks louder, but the engine feels as if it has a heavier flywheel, and it buzzes more than we like. Nevertheless, the growling Solstice sounds better. Advantage: Draw.

THE VERDICT
The frenetic and lightweight MX-5 is a single-minded sports car. The heavier Solstice has two personalities: cruiser and sports car?it excels at both. In this purely subjective evaluation, the Solstice scores higher. When we do a formal and objective comparison, the result might change. But we'd say the General has won this skirmish.

So the "real" test has not been conducted yet, but surprisingly C/D picks the Solstice.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

The MX-5's additional trunk space increases its usability dramatically over the Solstice, that alone might make up my mind. It looked as though C/D's biggest complaint with the MX-5 was the styling though.  

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

After reading the articles it sounds to me like the Miata is more practical and offers more performance. It may not be as stable on the interstate, but the Solstice's tiny trunk means that you can't really take it on a trip longer than 2-3 days anyway. .

SaltyDog

QuoteThe MX-5's additional trunk space increases its usability dramatically over the Solstice, that alone might make up my mind. It looked as though C/D's biggest complaint with the MX-5 was the styling though.
That's because you're practical ;)  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

QuoteI read this a month ago =P
I no longer get the mag because I'm poor, so this is the first time I've seen it.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

giant_mtb

QuoteThe MX-5's additional trunk space increases its usability dramatically over the Solstice, that alone might make up my mind. It looked as though C/D's biggest complaint with the MX-5 was the styling though.
That's a pretty lame excuse to rate the Solstice above the MX-5.  The only reason I'd probably like the Solstice's styling more is because it's newer and I'm not so used to it, which makes it "better" in comparison to the "old" Miata styling.  :rolleyes:  

giant_mtb

I no longer get the mag because I'm poor, so this is the first time I've seen it.
Stop spendin' all your money on the reefer.  ;)  :P  

Secret Chimp

Stop spendin' all your money on the reefer.  ;)  :P
Seriously, my shit costs me like 10-15 bucks a year =P

The MAGAZINE, not sticky icky icky :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Catman

I'd have to go with the Miata as I've said before.  I think it'll hold up better over time styling-wise.  And, while being practical isn't everything, it can mean alot when you're on a little road trip.  

SJ_GTI

I don't think its fair to characterize that the Miata only lost due to styling.

The said the Solstice was a better handler, had a better ride, and overall had a better structure. This comes with a weight penalty of course so its not as frenetic but most people don't want a frenetic car.

Is this Mx-5's trunk bigger than the last one BTW? The last gen miata had a pretty small trunk compared to my Z3, which itself wasn't all that big (though I could certainly fit enough for a week-long overseas trip).

ifcar

They said the Solstice felt heavier in its ride and handling, and liked that for whatever reason. I don't know about the size of the MX-5 trunk compared to the Miata, but it is much larger and many times more usefully shaped than the Solstice's.  

giant_mtb

C/D is weird sometimes...they'll bash a car for a good majority of its section of the comparison (while finding little wrong with the other car), but still place it in first.  Sort of like how they placed the Commander above the Explorer...they had no complaints really except for a lack of speed and off road capabilities (compared to the Jeep, anyways), yet for a good portion of the Commander's section they complained a lot more, but it still won.  :blink:  

ifcar

That's the result of adding up numbers to find out what car is best rather than using the editorial expertise the magazine is paying for.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteThey said the Solstice felt heavier in its ride and handling, and liked that for whatever reason.
Wow Ifcar, do you just not like Pontiac or something.

That is not what they said. The said the Miata was less settled even though it had a softer suspension. Let me quote it for you.

QuoteHandling: Both have handling limits that are substantial yet easy to probe. Approach the limits in the MX-5, and the softer suspension never quite settles down. The light-footed ride gives the MX-5 a delicate character. The Solstice trades that featheriness for a secure, buttoned-down feel at the limit. Comparatively narrow summer tires on the MX-5 stick and then break away; the Solstice's wider all-season rubber loses grip more gradually. Advantage: Solstice.

autom?vel

They bashed the Solstice for half of the article and picked it just because of its styling?  Where's all that coming from?   :blink:
Other then the interior, top operation, and practicality, the Solstice won everything (exterior, handingly, structure, and ride) asides for the draws that were declared for the primary controls and engine.  

It was a very even matchup, so you could easily make a case for the MX-5 being the winner, and I'd agree with either outcome.  But what the hell?  It isn't like they just picked it out of a hat.  The Solstice was clearly a worthy competitor.  Call a spade a spade for once even if it isn't your personal choice.  

Quote"In this purely subjective evaluation, the Solstice scores higher. When we do a formal and objective comparison, the result might change. But we'd say the General has won this skirmish."

-----------------------------------------------
I'm an Advanced Member, woooo.   ^_^
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

Raza

It's been on the web for a long time.

For me, performance is what matters.  If the MX-5 does it better, than it's the car I'd choose.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteThey said the Solstice felt heavier in its ride and handling, and liked that for whatever reason.

That is not what they said. The said the Miata was less settled even though it had a softer suspension. Let me quote it for you.

QuoteHandling: Both have handling limits that are substantial yet easy to probe. Approach the limits in the MX-5, and the softer suspension never quite settles down. The light-footed ride gives the MX-5 a delicate character. The Solstice trades that featheriness for a secure, buttoned-down feel at the limit. Comparatively narrow summer tires on the MX-5 stick and then break away; the Solstice's wider all-season rubber loses grip more gradually. Advantage: Solstice.
I don't dislike Pontiac (I am after all a GM fanboy, I found that out earlier today), I just find it puzzling that C/D is penalizing the MX-5 for being lighter. OF COURSE it won't be as settled.

SJ_GTI

I don't dislike Pontiac (I am after all a GM fanboy, I found that out earlier today), I just find it puzzling that C/D is penalizing the MX-5 for being lighter. OF COURSE it won't be as settled.
That's rediculous. You think a lighter car is automatically going to have a more nervous chassis?

My Z3 was heavier than either of these cars and its tail end was all over the place when roads got a bit choppy.  :lol:  

ifcar

Of course it isn't automatic, there are multiple factors to every aspect of a car. But "a more planted feel" as they describe it seems a direct result of the additional weight.

autom?vel

And, whether due to its additional weight or not, they liked the feel of the Solstice better.  It's ludicrous to simplify it into saying that they're penalizing the MX-5 just for being lighter, as if anything they would probably penalize the Solstice for being heavier.  It's a subjective test; wait for the real one.

Sorry, still love ya ifcar.  
Just in the mood to stir some shit.   :P

?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

SaltyDog

The more I think about it, C/D only picked the Solstice in this comparo so they can pick the Mazda in the real comparo without being bashed and rightfully accused of having a bias.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Raghavan

QuoteThe more I think about it, C/D only picked the Solstice in this comparo so they can pick the Mazda in the real comparo without being bashed and rightfully accused of having a bias.
:lol:  

autom?vel

QuoteThe more I think about it, C/D only picked the Solstice in this comparo so they can pick the Mazda in the real comparo without being bashed and rightfully accused of having a bias.
Yeaaaah...or perhaps it's genuinely a good car.  Perhaps they even genuinely liked it better, and since it was a subjective comparison, that's why they picked it over the MX-5.  Hm, something to ponder.    ??   :blink:

You all need to stop trying to sugar coat this shit.  Truth be told, I'd probably buy an MX-5 over the Solstice also, but they picked what they picked.  Is it that big of a deal that you guys have to look for ulterior motives on their part?  Come on.
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

SaltyDog

Yeaaaah...or perhaps it's genuinely a good car.  Perhaps they even genuinely liked it better, and since it was a subjective comparison, that's why they picked it over the MX-5.  Hm, something to ponder.    ??   :blink:

You all need to stop trying to sugar coat this shit.  Truth be told, I'd probably buy an MX-5 over the Solstice also, but they picked what they picked.  Is it that big of a deal that you guys have to look for ulterior motives on their part?  Come on.
You misunderstood my statement.  I maintain that a portion of C/D writers have an import bias.  Readers, not just diehard Chevy and Ford guys, have seen and pionted out this bias time after time and C/D is taking heat for it.  I think there is a good chance that they are trying to level the playing field(or make it appear that way) before performing the test between these two they really put weight on.

I have no biases of my own and no agenda to push, but I can't help but to confront C/D on thier blatant bias.  I can see the real real review will say something like, "Though we originally prefered Solstice for it's smooth ride and balanced handling, considerable time spent with both cars only reinforced what we had been feeling all along.  The time-tested, pure sports car that never fails to put a smile on your face once again emerges victorious..."

Maybe the MX-5 is better, maybe it isn't.  I just want all cars to get a fair shake.  BTW, I don't sugar coat things.  I try to tell it like it is.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

Article:  "When we do a formal and objective comparison, the result might change. But we'd say the General has won this skirmish."

Does anyone know when the second test will be done?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

autom?vel

You misunderstood my statement.  I maintain that a portion of C/D writers have an import bias.  Readers, not just diehard Chevy and Ford guys, have seen and pionted out this bias time after time and C/D is taking heat for it.  I think there is a good chance that they are trying to level the playing field(or make it appear that way) before performing the test between these two they really put weight on.

I have no biases of my own and no agenda to push, but I can't help but to confront C/D on thier blatant bias.  I can see the real real review will say something like, "Though we originally prefered Solstice for it's smooth ride and balanced handling, considerable time spent with both cars only reinforced what we had been feeling all along.  The time-tested, pure sports car that never fails to put a smile on your face once again emerges victorious..."

Maybe the MX-5 is better, maybe it isn't.  I just want all cars to get a fair shake.  BTW, I don't sugar coat things.  I try to tell it like it is.

:lol:????You're the man Tom.
Seriously though, I see what you were saying now.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next test was either in the next issue or two.
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

SaltyDog

:lol:????You're the man Tom.
Seriously though, I see what you were saying now.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next test was either in the next issue or two.
Cool :)   We shall see how round 2 turns out.  I may eat my words, but knowing C/D, I doubt it :P  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

ifcar

QuoteAnd, whether due to its additional weight or not, they liked the feel of the Solstice better.  It's ludicrous to simplify it into saying that they're penalizing the MX-5 just for being lighter, as if anything they would probably penalize the Solstice for being heavier.  It's a subjective test; wait for the real one.

Just in the mood to stir some shit.   :P
It just seemed as though the MX-5 wasn't getting the credit it deserved for being significantly lighter, the Solstice won additional praise in both ride and handling for feeling heavier, which it was. And considering that only "engine" was considered instead of acceleration, the Mazda's weight advantage couldn't even help it in that category.

SJ_GTI

QuoteAnd, whether due to its additional weight or not, they liked the feel of the Solstice better.  It's ludicrous to simplify it into saying that they're penalizing the MX-5 just for being lighter, as if anything they would probably penalize the Solstice for being heavier.  It's a subjective test; wait for the real one.

Just in the mood to stir some shit.   :P
It just seemed as though the MX-5 wasn't getting the credit it deserved for being significantly lighter, the Solstice won additional praise in both ride and handling for feeling heavier, which it was. And considering that only "engine" was considered instead of acceleration, the Mazda's weight advantage couldn't even help it in that category.
C'mon Ifcar just admit you don't like Pontiac already.

Being heavier or being lighter is not a positive or negative in and of itself. It is possible for heavier cars to handle better than lighter cars. From a subjective standpoint if Car A is heavier but has a:

1. More rigid chassis
2. Better suspension

its very likely going to be a better handling car. To be a little more extreme look at an A4 2.0T vs an S4: The A4 is lighter and better balanced yet the S4 is a better handler. Or the 325i vs M3, 525i vs M5, so on and so forth. A car only "deserves credit for being lighter" when it actually achieves a better result.