2013 SRT Viper Mule Caught/Update: The Actual Brand New Viper!

Started by Atomic, February 14, 2012, 05:56:36 AM

Raza

Quote from: mojammer on April 04, 2012, 02:31:48 PM
It looks good, possibly very good, but not great.  Honestly I thought it'd be a bit stronger than it is.  640 isn't anything to sneeze at, but the ZR1 had that 3 years ago, and the mustang gt500 has it now. 

Neither of them have that weight though; the horsepower number alone means nothing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

mojammer

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2012, 02:53:31 PM
Neither of them have that weight though; the horsepower number alone means nothing.

The corvette weighs slightly less, the mustang a lot more?  I'm not sure I get what you mean.  Sure horsepower alone doesn't say much, but from a marketing standpoint power numbers mean a lot more than weight.

68_427

Quote from: S204STi on April 04, 2012, 02:49:04 PM
Running that old lump is possibly a hindrance.  What are they going to do in the ALMS with displacement restrictions for the GT class?

Go with a V8.  Pretty sure thats what the teams who still use the GTS do.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: mojammer on April 04, 2012, 03:12:02 PM
The corvette weighs slightly less, the mustang a lot more?  I'm not sure I get what you mean.  Sure horsepower alone doesn't say much, but from a marketing standpoint power numbers mean a lot more than weight.

The Corvette weighs less?  Really?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: mojammer on April 04, 2012, 03:12:02 PM
The ZR1 weighs almost 100 lbs more and the Mustang is 500 lbs more.

68_427

No the zr1 weighs about 3500lbs.  However the new Corvette I'd supposed to be smaller Anna lighter while having at least the same power.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on April 04, 2012, 03:46:57 PM
How is it a hindrance?

In the GT class they'll likely have their displacement limited, so I'm curious to see what they do to overcome that.  The small-block in the Corvette manages to rev high and make decent power even at 5.5L. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

I can't wait to see this thing do battle with the ZR1 and 911 TT.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

Quote from: S204STi on April 04, 2012, 03:57:34 PM
In the GT class they'll likely have their displacement limited, so I'm curious to see what they do to overcome that.  The small-block in the Corvette manages to rev high and make decent power even at 5.5L. 
I don't see why that's a hindrance for the street car.

r0tor

I think the styling looks like a catastrophic attempt to attach a fiat front bumper to the rest of the old car...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ergodic

Don't know how to attach a pic yet but... the one with the x-brace over the engine bay is the best shot of this thing. and I want to see it in black.

Raza

Quote from: ergodic on April 05, 2012, 07:38:35 AM
Don't know how to attach a pic yet but... the one with the x-brace over the engine bay is the best shot of this thing. and I want to see it in black.

Copy Image URL of the photo in question.  Then paste it between these tags [i*mg]image url[/*img], without those asterisks.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26734.msg1698243#msg1698243 date=1333572811

I don't really care that much about how much the power to weight ratio bests the competition ...

Is this thing daily driveable?  If it isn't then comparison to all models of Corvette (or 911) end then and there, as far as I'm concerned.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Lebowski on April 05, 2012, 09:27:07 AM
I don't really care that much about how much the power to weight ratio bests the competition ...

Is this thing daily driveable?  If it isn't then comparison to all models of Corvette (or 911) end then and there, as far as I'm concerned.
Seems like it will be
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Lebowski on April 05, 2012, 09:27:07 AM

Is this thing daily driveable?  If it isn't then comparison to all models of Corvette (or 911) end then and there, as far as I'm concerned.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Galaxy

All in all I love this, though I do wish the hood could be a bit cleaner.

omicron

SVT666

Atomic

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2012, 11:36:38 PM
That show was awesome. No dissing.

yes. i, too, loved that program, especially with glimpses of other chrysler vehicles that followed. i seem to think the chrysler pacifica was shown on the series prior to its introduction. the AWD pacifica, hardly ever brought up today was a pioneer in its class. now, look at the number of crossovers offered today!

Catman

No doubt its badass but overall I find the design a little disappointing.

So I saw this thing in the flesh.  Overall it looks like it does in the pictures, like a 2nd gen GTS with a brand new face grafted onto the front, kinda like a weird genetically engineered animal or something.  It's like the team wanted to go total retro AKA Ford GT, and then suddenly changed their mind when they got to the front...

Also Dodge had a poor choice of presenter for the Viper.  While other automakers like Lexus got charismatic girls that clearly remembered their lines to make even the boring ES interesting to learn about, Dodge got some chick who stumbled over her lines the entire time, and English was clearly not her first language. 

Eye of the Tiger

SVT_Power

+

= the new viper?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT