Full Test: 2006 Land Rover RR Sport Supercharged

Started by BMWDave, October 10, 2005, 09:30:45 PM

BMWDave

Link

Supercharged Street Fun
By Kelly Toepke
Date posted: 10-10-2005

Saturday morning we drive the Rover to the ultrahip Fred Segal mall in Santa Monica to impress our sunglass-selling friend, David. The guy has been talking about trading in his Porsche 911 for a Range Rover Sport since the SUV hit dealer lots a few months ago, so we figured a ride in this 2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged might get us a deal on a pair of Versace shades.

Turns out David's waiting for Melanie Griffith to return and is unable to experience the supercharged Sport firsthand, which is too bad. Land Rover designed the Range Rover Sport for people just like him: style-conscious city folk who dig high-priced, high-horsepower machinery.

Available in two versions, the 300-horsepower, 4.4-liter V8 HSE and the 390-hp, 4.2-liter V8 Supercharged, the Sport's mission is to steal thunder from street-rod SUVs like BMW's X5 4.8is and Porsche's Cayenne S, and it has the goods under its hood to give the Germans a serious run for their money.

The Family Tree
At just over $56,000 for the HSE and nearly $70,000 for the supercharged model, the Sport is priced between Land Rover's LR3 and the full-size Range Rover. All Land Rovers get permanent four-wheel drive.

Although it resembles the big daddy Range Rover, the Sport rides on a shortened version of the LR3 platform, which makes it the smallest of the three. The Sport's wheelbase is over 5 inches shorter than the LR3's, and its overall length is 2.4 inches shorter. The Sport's about as wide as an LR3, which makes it nearly 10 inches narrower than the big daddy.

Exterior differences between the HSE and Supercharged are subtle, but distinctive when you know where to look. The blown model gets a brighter grille and side vents, black and gray Land Rover ovals instead of the traditional green, and Brembo brake calipers peek from behind its unique 20-inch wheels and wider, lower-profile Continental rubber.

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is
Pumping out 390 hp at 5,750 rpm, the supercharged V8 is the same engine Jaguar uses in the S-Type R, XJR and XKR, and the same engine you get in a top-of-the-line Range Rover Supercharged (although it's rated at 400 hp in some of those applications).

With 410 pound-feet of torque at 3,500 rpm, the 5,670-pound Sport Supercharged leaps off the line with a 0-60 time of 7 seconds flat and a quarter-mile time of 15.4 seconds. Despite it weighing 600 pounds less than the Rover, the BMW X5 4.8is we tested earlier this year recorded the same time. The HSE, which shares a 4.4-liter Jaguar engine with the LR3, is nearly 2 seconds slower to 60 mph at 8.9.

David's 911 is much quicker of course, but the supercharged Sport feels quick out in the world. Open freeway acceleration is flawless. Nail the gas at any speed and there's power and acceleration to be found.

The smooth power band is aided by the crisp shifts of the six-speed automatic transmission. Although it can be shifted in manual mode, the gearbox is so well-timed, the manual sport shift doesn't really alter its pattern, even during full throttle shifts.

Show Boat
Drive it aggressively and the heavier Sport feels less agile than the lighter X5 or Cayenne, which it is. The Rover's slalom speed of 58.1 mph is nearly 5 mph slower than the X5, but our track notes insist that the supercharged Sport could have run the slalom even quicker if the Dynamic Stability Control (DSG) would relax when in the off position instead of continuing to intervene.

Slight body roll is evident during high-speed testing, but out on the open road the Sport feels level and secure. Although both the HSE and the supercharged Sport use the same electronic air suspension, the Supercharged version comes standard with Dynamic Response active roll bars. The system makes the Sport Supercharged more responsive, but less adept at absorbing freeway bumps.

Its bigger tires and Brembo brake calipers give the supercharged Sport a 5-foot advantage over the HSE in our 60-0-mph brake tests. Its 114-foot stopping distance also betters the BMW's number by more than a foot and is only 3 feet longer than the stopping distance of a 911 Carrera S, which weighs half as much. We also like the truck's firm brake pedal, although the supercharged Sport's moves freely then stiffens suddenly, which takes some getting used to. The HSE's pedal feels more progressive.

Although we didn't have the occasion to take this show boat off-road, the Sport is ready to take on varying road surfaces with its five-setting Terrain Response system and standard electronic traction control.

Cozy Cabin
If David had climbed into the Range Rover Sport's cockpit, he would've been surprised by the lack of hiproom. He's a big guy, and the tight cabin is the first thing you notice. A 120-pound female frame fits snuggly in the seat, which is squeezed between the door panel and the acre-wide console. Legroom and headroom, however, are plentiful as expected.

Interior d?cors are vastly different in the HSE and supercharged Sports. Our HSE tester mirrored traditional Range Rover luxury ? soft cream color leather, with wood and metal-colored accents. The supercharged Sport has a much sportier feel in its black-on-black cabin. Even the wood accents are black, with faux brushed aluminum trim as the only exception.

Some editors complained about the hard plastic bits in the interior, which they think are too cheap-looking for the truck's sticker price. For $70 thou, they think you should get real brushed aluminum trim, but a majority of others think the Sport's perfect fit and finish, its long list of luxury amenities, along with its supple leather and furniture-quality wood make its interior satisfyingly upscale.

On a 600-mile road trip from Los Angeles to Monterey Bay and back, the Range Rover Sport Supercharged proved plenty comfortable for two, but averaged a dismal 16 mpg for the trip. At least we made good use of the drink cooler built into the front console, which we discovered can chill a Coke in 31 minutes.

Gadgetry Galore
Equipment includes a Harmon Kardon Logic 7 audio system with an in-dash six-disc CD player and 14 speakers, plus a DVD-based navigation system, Bluetooth connectivity, and front and rear park distance control. Adaptive cruise control is an option, as is an easy-to-operate rear DVD entertainment with two 6.5-inch LCD screens mounted in the backside of the front-seat headrests which can be had for $2,500. Heated front and rear sport seats with silver inserts behind the perforated leather come standard on the supercharged Sport, while the HSE can add seat heat as part of the $2,750 Luxury Cold Climate Package.

Open the tailgate and the cargo bay appears to go on forever. With a maximum of 71 cubic feet of cargo capacity, the Sport beats the X5's 69 cubes and handily trumps the Cayenne's 63 cubic feet as well. But load it up and you'll notice the sharp fastback cuts into the space at a quick angle. At least Land Rover designed the tailgate glass to lift separately for quick access without opening the full door.

A Versace Land Rover
BMW might offer slightly more athleticism from its X5, but the 2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged is no wallflower. Although its fuel mileage is laughable and its curb weight sounds like something from the Hummer collection, we applaud its designer look, its strong performance and its artful interior.

Although we still think David's a bit nutty for wanting one over his 911, we understand the Range Rover Sport's appeal. And it's just plain dumb to get one in any color other than the brilliantly named Vesuvius Orange, which goes really well with our new pair of high-dollar Versace shades. Bought at cost, of course. Thanks, Dave.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

You're drooling aren't you Dave?

This car looks really great, I saw one parked at the dealer when I was getting my trunklid repainted for the third time a week or two ago.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteYou're drooling aren't you Dave?

This car looks really great, I saw one parked at the dealer when I was getting my trunklid repainted for the third time a week or two ago.
The cars looks great :wub:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

thewizard16

92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.