Sedans - Why no rear wiper?

Started by 2o6, February 20, 2012, 02:21:13 PM

2o6

This question came up when I was driving the other day. It seems like sedans with the steeper rake on the rear glass and typically larger glass than hatches would do better with a rear wiper than hatches would. Yet pretty much no sedan (or coupe) offers a rear wiper.

Some "notchbacks" (British use) have rear wipers, but the sedan with a slightly different rake to the rear window loses it.

There are many times in which I wish I had a rear wiper on my sedans or coupes.

AutobahnSHO

Mud and rain accumulate on a hatch/wagon much much much worse than on a sedan. You might get water on a sedan rear window but road mud is rare, comparitively speaking.
Will

Onslaught

I don't notice many cars at all having them anymore.

MX793

All cars create a reverse flow pocket in the air behind the car.  This "vacuum" pocket tends to pull road spray into the back of the vehicle.  On a sedan, the rear window is not within this zone, so the road grime clings to the rear bumper and back of the trunk, but not the window.  On a hatchback/wagon, where the upright rear window is actually part of the back of the car, it tends to collect grime and road spray.  The wiper is there so you can clean that crap off, not so much to wipe away falling rain/snow.

You used to see them on some fastbacks/liftbacks (predominantly Japanese, though some Euro cars had them) in the late 80s and early 90s.  They were useful because the slope of the glass sometimes wasn't enough for water or snow to run off quickly if the car wasn't moving very fast.  I remember wishing that my 240SX liftback had the optional rear wiper on days when it was raining/snowing heavily and I was in slow-moving traffic where I never got enough speed for the wind to blow the window clear.  But it wasn't really necessary.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

Ive been considering getting one for my car actually.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

I've never needed one on any of the sedans or the '94 Z28 in had.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

I'm glad I have a rear wiper. I noticed how my rear windscreen gets dirty all the time in this horrible weather, even when I am traveling at low speeds in the city.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

VTEC_Inside

Ive only used the one on the RSX after its been parked in the rain. The water just sits there and you cant see through it to back up. Once Im moving its not an issue.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

giant_mtb

Pretty much what MX said...if the aerodynamics of the car don't suck rain/dirt/etc. to the rear window, there's no real need for a rear wiper.  I'm glad mine doesn't have one.  It'd mess with the styling, and never once have I been upset that I didn't have one.

GoCougs

My rear window is always a mess give how much it rains here. I also drive in the snow most every weekend through the winter, which is even worse (snow, and then the grime from the sand). I definitely need a rear wiper.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on February 20, 2012, 07:09:26 PM
My rear window is always a mess give how much it rains here. I also drive in the snow most every weekend through the winter, which is even worse (snow, and then the grime from the sand). I definitely need a rear wiper.

Fuckin' Honda. :rolleyes:

Colin

Surprisingly, there is no wiper on either the Audi A7 or the A5/S5 Sportback.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Colin on February 21, 2012, 01:51:50 AM
Surprisingly, there is no wiper on either the Audi A7 or the A5/S5 Sportback.

Audi= cheapskates

:lol:
Will

Byteme

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 20, 2012, 07:02:09 PM
Pretty much what MX said...if the aerodynamics of the car don't suck rain/dirt/etc. to the rear window, there's no real need for a rear wiper.  I'm glad mine doesn't have one.  It'd mess with the styling, and never once have I been upset that I didn't have one.

My Mazda6 sedan does not have one.  IIRC the Mazda6 hatchback, since discontinued, did have one.

sedan

hatchback

ChrisV

You could find them occasionally on Japanese spec cars, but they really aren't necessary in most cases.

Of course, other cars have tried it over the years...

Lancia Flaminia:

'48 Pontiac:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on February 21, 2012, 07:15:50 AM
You could find them occasionally on Japanese spec cars, but they really aren't necessary in most cases.

Lancia Flaminia:

Duals.   :lol:

That would seem to be more appropriate for a French military vehicle; so they could have a good clear view when they throw the vehicle into reverse during retreats.    ;)

Gotta-Qik-C7

I remember when Camry wagons had Duels........ :facepalm:

Onslaught

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 21, 2012, 07:19:52 AM
Duals.   :lol:

That would seem to be more appropriate for a French military vehicle; so they could have a good clear view when they throw the vehicle into reverse during retreats.    ;)
Very well done.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 21, 2012, 12:08:34 PM

Yep. It looked and still looks retarded. Dual rear wipers look so out of place on any car. Even on that gorgeous Lancia Flaminia!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Byteme

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 21, 2012, 12:08:34 PM

You mean duals?

Or are Camry's fighting it out at 20 paces?

Morris Minor

I recommend a thorough cleaning of the rear window followed by two or three applications of Rain-X. Visibility will no longer be an issue.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 21, 2012, 02:21:14 PM
I recommend a thorough cleaning of the rear window followed by two or three applications of Rain-X. Visibility will no longer be an issue.

Does rain-X repel dirt and grime?

Morris Minor

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 21, 2012, 02:22:49 PM
Does rain-X repel dirt and grime?

It doesn't repel it, but it makes the surface a lot less sticky so wind, rain or both can stop too much residue building up on the surface.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Gotta-Qik-C7

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Colonel Cadillac

There have been times when I wish I had one. More is better right?

Byteme

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 21, 2012, 06:24:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Dual:  Composed of two, usu. like or complementary parts; double.

Duel:  A prearranged formal combat between two persons usu. over a point of honor.

So,  :rolleyes: yourself.   :tounge:

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 21, 2012, 11:43:24 PM
There have been times when I wish I had one. More is better right?

I miss having a car with only one wiper.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

I loved the rear window/wiper/wash/lock controls for my 4Runner, made me feel like James Bond.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Gotta-Qik-C7

:pee:
Quote from: MiataJohn on February 22, 2012, 06:02:25 AM
Dual:  Composed of two, usu. like or complementary parts; double.

Duel:  A prearranged formal combat between two persons usu. over a point of honor.

So,  :rolleyes: yourself.   :tounge:
:lol: