2008 Scirocco

Started by Catman, October 11, 2005, 03:33:37 PM

Catman

Coupe Scoop: VW boss pushes return of Scirocco in 2008

GREG KABLE
Posted Date: 10/11/05

A rapid 3.2-liter 247-hp V6-powered all-wheel-drive coupe will spearhead Volkswagen boss Wolfgang Bernhard?s effort to establish the German carmaker as the purveyor of some of Europe?s most desirable yet affordable performance cars.

Described to AutoWeek as the spiritual successor to the once highly regarded Scirocco, the coupe will be built on a modified Jetta chassis. Wolfsburg insiders say the new car may be marketed under the name Rivo.

With styling by VW design boss Murat Gunak, whose credits include the Mercedes-Benz SLR, and VW head of advanced design Peter Schreyer, who oversaw Audi?s recent design renaissance, the resurrected Scirocco is a pure 2+2 designed to complement the Eos folding-hardtop convertible unveiled at Frankfurt.

The car adopts the muscular styling treatment first shown on VW?s Concept R?a car that now appears to be abandoned due to its complex mid-engine layout.

Power comes from two four-cylinders, the new 1.4-liter Twincharger unit, and the turbo charged 2.0-liter FSI mill. At the top of the line is a 3.2-liter V6, paired with all-wheel drive.

Gearboxes include a six-speed manual and optional six-speed DSG unit.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SaltyDog

I'm all for it :rockon:  VW need some good cars ;)  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Raghavan

I wish this was off of the A4 platform.

mazda6er

I'm interested to see just how "affordable" this turns out.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

Why not just make this into an A4 Coupe?

BMWDave

This looks like the Concept C...which unfortunately turned into the bloated Eos.  I hope this turns out very similar to that picture.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

whatever happened to VW's midengined RWD concept?

thewizard16

Like VW's take on the BMW 6.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

Looks quite nice, but I really hope we get the twincharger in the USA, 170hp out of 1.4l is amazing.

Raghavan

QuoteLooks quite nice, but I really hope we get the twincharger in the USA, 170hp out of 1.4l is amazing.
That's some serious boost right there.

TBR

Yeah, and I imagine it has an extremely, extremely flat power curve.  

Raghavan

QuoteYeah, and I imagine it has an extremely, extremely flat power curve.
Will it be able to last long though?

Raghavan

Actually, it's no big deal though. Honda can do it N/A.

TBR

Yeah, they can get 120hp/liter out of an I4, but not without a super high power peak, making the engine impractical for day to day use.

Raghavan

QuoteYeah, they can get 120hp/liter out of an I4, but not without a super high power peak, making the engine impractical for day to day use.
Have you driven an S2000, or even been in a moving one?

mazda6er

QuoteYeah, they can get 120hp/liter out of an I4, but not without a super high power peak, making the engine impractical for day to day use.
Actually, the S2000 does have a very high powerband. ;) High redline....
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

No, but when you see the torque number (about 140 IIRC) and then the HP number (240 of course) you know that it has a very high power peak, meaning that you would really have to wringe it out in traffic which is bad on the clutch, transmission, engine, and yourself (the buzzing would get annoying eventually). Don't try to downplay VW's achievement by saying it has been done with N/A, because it hasn't. Never has a N/A engine been made that has both the hp/liter of the twinpulse and its power curve.

Raghavan

No, but when you see the torque number (about 140 IIRC) and then the HP number (240 of course) you know that it has a very high power peak, meaning that you would really have to wringe it out in traffic which is bad on the clutch, transmission, engine, and yourself (the buzzing would get annoying eventually). Don't try to downplay VW's achievement by saying it has been done with N/A, because it hasn't. Never has a N/A engine been made that has both the hp/liter of the twinpulse and its power curve.
Actually, it has more than enough torque down low to get moving without a hassle. ;)  

280Z Turbo

Quote120hp/liter
Don't even use that ratio around here! :o  ;)

Engines are far too complex to dumb it down to hp/L.

thewizard16

Actually, it has more than enough torque down low to get moving without a hassle. ;)
My 2000 Camry has about the same amount of torque.  <_<

EDIT: More, actually.  :(  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

My 2000 Camry has about the same amount of torque.  <_<
Do you have to rev the piss outta it?

TBR

Probably not, but its torque isn't achieved at over 8000 rpm like the S2000's is.

thewizard16

QuoteProbably not, but its torque isn't achieved at over 8000 rpm like the S2000's is.
No, I don't have to, but it's not exactly inspiring to drive around town.  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Raghavan

QuoteProbably not, but its torque isn't achieved at over 8000 rpm like the S2000's is.
Actually, at 1000 rpm, you already have 108 lb/ft of torque, and by 3,000 rpm, you have about 135 lb/ft of torque. Peak torque (159 lb/ft) is acheived at over 8000rpm, yes, but there's more than enough from the bottom end.

TBR

Since when has 108lb ft been more than enough!?!?

MrH

Seriously, TBR, you're just talking out of your ass.  Have you seen a dyno or an S2000?    The torque curve is incredibly flat.  It makes plenty of power down low too to get around time in a timely fashion.  You don't have to wringe the piss out of the motor to get moving by any means.

"when you see the torque number (about 140 IIRC) and then the HP number (240 of course) you know that it has a very high power peak, meaning that you would really have to wringe it out in traffic which is bad on the clutch, transmission, engine, and yourself"

Traffic doesn't accelerate like an S2000 hitting peak power.  Sorry, just doesn't happpen.  You could keep an S2000 up in the quickest of traffic without ever revving above 4500 RPM I bet.

And it's not bad on the clutch, transmission, or engine if you know how to drive.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raghavan

QuoteSince when has 108lb ft been more than enough!?!?
Dude, some cars don't even MAKE 108 lb/ft. This thing makes it a 1000 rpm. Besides, the thing revs so fast, you'll be at 3000 at no time. Trust me, the car revs so effortlessly, and there's so much torque down low, you don't need to rev the piss outta thecar.

MrH

QuoteSince when has 108lb ft been more than enough!?!?
And since when do you need neck breaking acceleration at 1000 RPM?  :rolleyes:

No one even really cruises at an engine speed that low, unless you have a boat load of torque, and even then that's still really low.  
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

Perhaps when you are pulling out onto a busy highway :rolleyes: