Your favorite sedan?

Started by BENZ BOY15, February 23, 2012, 10:55:48 PM

omicron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 28, 2012, 05:42:56 AM
The Citroen SM is awesome, but it's a fastback coupe!  ;)

The SM Opera by Chapron is exquisite.

So beautifully-proportioned, so pure, so elegant. Fabulously-detailed, too. All modern stylists should be forced to look at this car as a lesson in restraint and purity of line.

cawimmer430

Quote from: omicron on February 29, 2012, 05:30:55 AM
The SM Opera by Chapron is exquisite.

So beautifully-proportioned, so pure, so elegant. Fabulously-detailed, too. All modern stylists should be forced to look at this car as a lesson in restraint and purity of line.

Yes, now THAT is lovely. If only Citroen had commissioned Chapron to build more of these!

I believe only two were built...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

The SM Opera ruins everything I like about the SM. (Namely the roofline and greenhouse). The transition is inelegant, and can't hold a candle to the DS.

FoMoJo

If I were buying in a few months...absolutely gorgeous in person.

My second choice, if I had a few extra bucks...stunningly sensuous when seen up close.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Cookie Monster

The Lincoln looks like it's squinting.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

When it comes to Lincoln sedans nothing touches this.  :wub:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: thecarnut on February 29, 2012, 02:35:41 PM
The Lincoln looks like it's squinting.
It was kinda' bright on the stage ;).

A picture doesn't do it justice.  I was sceptical when I first saw the images from the Detroit show but it looks far better in person.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 29, 2012, 03:08:02 PM
When it comes to Lincoln sedans nothing touches this.  :wub:

For me, it's always been the '63.  The suicide doors make it special...

omicron

Quote from: 2o6 on February 29, 2012, 01:20:25 PM
The SM Opera ruins everything I like about the SM. (Namely the roofline and greenhouse). The transition is inelegant, and can't hold a candle to the DS.

No prizes for guessing that I disagree. I've always liked the SM (in any configuration) more than the DS, but that's akin to saying I've always liked Pol Roger more than Mo?t. There are no losers here.

A slight caveat, however. My DS would have to be the later swivelling-headlight model - the fixed-lamp models never quite did it for me.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 29, 2012, 03:16:51 PM
For me, it's always been the '63.  The suicide doors make it special...

That's also hot. I have a thing for the '60s and '70s Lincolns.

Even the 1980s Town Car is hot IMO.  :wub:

^Look at that thing!^  :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Everything about the new Lincolns makes me want to hit them with a Louisville slugger.
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 02, 2012, 07:24:04 AM
Everything about the new Lincolns makes me want to hit them with a Louisville slugger.

:hesaid:

Just look at these masterpieces and you know why I feel the same way as you do.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 02, 2012, 07:24:04 AM
I was of the same view until I saw their display down at the local auto show.  The MKS is a far more impressive car when viewed in person.  Also, the MKT Town Car, for those wanting a luxury CUV, is quite imposing.  The only oddball, in the lineup, is the Navigator.

Certainly, much more has to be done to resurrect it as a true 'luxury' brand, but they're off to a good start.  They still need that V12 'halo' car.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2012, 10:35:39 AM
Certainly, much more has to be done to resurrect it as a true 'luxury' brand, but they're off to a good start.  They still need that V12 'halo' car.

Piece of cake. Lincoln should resurrect this badboy. The V12 engine will easily fit into the long bonnet.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

2008-2009 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B.

SVT666

Quote from: SVT666 on February 24, 2012, 11:58:47 AM
Overall Favourite

Favourite that I could actually afford to buy

I still stand by the Rapide, but after today I have to discard the G37 like a pair torn underwear.

Raza

Gah!  Why do the headlamps touch the grille!?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26827.msg1678956#msg1678956 date=1330727656

I makes me feel like it has eye boogers. :lockedup:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

You know it's going to be crammed with white LEDs and fiber optics. Radioactive eye boogers!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26827.msg1678956#msg1678956 date=1330727656
After seeing it in person, I like it a lot better than I did in pictures.  I drove a 2008 323i today and now I get the love for BMW.  I completely and totally get it now.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on March 02, 2012, 03:45:35 PM
After seeing it in person, I like it a lot better than I did in pictures.  I drove a 2008 323i today and now I get the love for BMW.  I completely and totally get it now.
Does it drive better than the G8 GT?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on March 02, 2012, 04:39:09 PM
Does it drive better than the G8 GT?
The G8 GT feels as loose and sloppy as a $2 whore compared to the Bimmer.

MaxPower

Quote from: S204STi on March 02, 2012, 10:54:08 AM
2008-2009 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B.

I agree. Great looking car.

I'm also a fan of the Audi S4 (B5).

TurboDan

Quote from: SVT666 on March 02, 2012, 05:30:10 PM

I had the same reaction the first time I drove a BMW. There's something about those cars that just can't be replicated by anyone else. It's almost a magical feeling!

68_427

I didn't like how the shifter felt in the new 328 at the auto show.  However it does look really good in person.  And the seats are super low to the ground omfg.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: TurboDan on March 03, 2012, 12:23:48 AM
I had the same reaction the first time I drove a BMW. There's something about those cars that just can't be replicated by anyone else. It's almost a magical feeling!

I had exactly the same wow experience with the first BMW I ever drove, it was a 325i E36 sedan demo that I had loaned to me by my dad back in 96, when he worked for a while at the first BMW dealer in Mexico.

Before driving it, I used to be a Mopar and VW fan and thought BMWs were outrageously expensive and not worth the money. That all changed that day, I remember giving back the keys to my dad and telling him "Now I think this car is actually cheap." After that I was set and started saving and eventually got a used E36 325is in 98.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Vinsanity

The BMW "magic" is hit and miss for me. One of the first Bimmers I drove was an E30 convertible, and I thought it was a super neat car compared to anything else I'd driven at the time (I was 18). As I got to drive nicer cars later on, I drove an E46 sedan that my brother was looking to buy, and I thought it was just okay. Another one I drove was an E34 525i, which I thought was exceptional, until I drove a Maxima from the same year, and found that it felt exactly like a FWD version of the E34.

My favorite, of course, if my brother's E46 M3. He let me drive it from the dealer lot to the gas station when he picked up the car, and getting back into the Caddy seriously made me feel like a geriatric :frown:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on March 02, 2012, 05:30:10 PM
Now if you're spending you're own money wich would you go with?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 03, 2012, 01:54:11 PM
I had exactly the same wow experience with the first BMW I ever drove, it was a 325i E36 sedan demo that I had loaned to me by my dad back in 96, when he worked for a while at the first BMW dealer in Mexico.

Before driving it, I used to be a Mopar and VW fan and thought BMWs were outrageously expensive and not worth the money. That all changed that day, I remember giving back the keys to my dad and telling him "Now I think this car is actually cheap." After that I was set and started saving and eventually got a used E36 325is in 98.

First car I ever drove was a BMW. :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on March 03, 2012, 04:00:19 PM
Now if you're spending you're own money wich would you go with?
Bimmer.  Before I had driven one, I would have easily said the G8 GT, but now, I can't honestly say that.

I mean, my SVT Focus is one of the best handling affordable cars built in the last 10 years, and my car still feels like it just came off the lot.  No rattles, no squeaks, no noise, and the shifter, clutch, steering, seats, doors, etc. all feel brand new still.  But when I got out of the Bimmer and got back into my car, I almost started to cry.  My car felt like a bucket of bolts afterwards.  I told my wife that I could easily see us with more than 1 BMW in the garage in a couple years.