Kia K9

Started by 2o6, February 27, 2012, 08:18:05 PM

2o6

Not sure how I feel about it. The grille reminds me of the Geely GE concept (the 2nd one) and I don't particurally care for the concept of the model. Why is this model luxurious? I thought Kia was supposed to be the sportier brand? I think this car would make more sense if it were simply a large RWD car (similar to the Charger and Ford Taurus) rather than an aspiring luxury vehicle.

Payman

I like it. Not sure why they'd risk dog jokes with the name, however.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Rockraven on February 27, 2012, 08:21:26 PM

Well, its platform-mate is the Equus (horse). Maybe they're going for a domesticated-animal theme. They could have a GenCoupe platform-mate with a feline-inspired name.

I like it as well. Compared to the Equus, the design is more unique, as well as more cohesive.

J86

It looks like a Buick.

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on February 27, 2012, 08:21:26 PM

The bigger Korean-market cars are using a 'K#' alphanumeric nomenclature. Optima is called K5, there's another bigger front-drive car called K7 (akin to a Hyundai Azera; it's called Kia Cadenza in other markets); it follows that they'd use K9, at least in Korea. If it's ever sold elsewhere they'll probably come up with another name.

SVT666

This is now the third thread on this car.  Anyway, I like it.

CJ

I think it looks pretty sharp and clean.

Submariner

One part Buick, one part last-gen GS, one part generic Chinese car.

Meh.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2012, 08:18:05 PM
Why is this model luxurious? I thought Kia was supposed to be the sportier brand? I think this car would make more sense if it were simply a large RWD car (similar to the Charger and Ford Taurus) rather than an aspiring luxury vehicle.

I half agree. I think they should've made a sporty version of the Genesis sedan. Like a poor man's Panamera, as someone mentioned in one of the other threads. This should be to the Genesis what the IS is to the ES. And I think the overall styling would still work as a sport sedan.

Xer0

Yeah, it seems like Hyundai/Kai are going to have crazy amounts of overlap with all of their cars being pretty much the same baring styling.  Beyond the Soul, I'm not really sure what the point of Kia is now.

TurboDan

It's alright, but I wish they'd decide a brand styling concept and stick with it.

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on February 27, 2012, 09:27:15 PM
It's alright, but I wish they'd decide a brand styling concept and stick with it.

Huh? Their styling language is as clear as day.

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on February 27, 2012, 09:20:06 PM
Yeah, it seems like Hyundai/Kai are going to have crazy amounts of overlap with all of their cars being pretty much the same baring styling.  Beyond the Soul, I'm not really sure what the point of Kia is now.

They both sell, though.

thewizard16

Quote from: Xer0 on February 27, 2012, 09:20:06 PM
They're different enough I don't think it's an issue. The Optima and Sonata for example, may have mechanical things in common, but they're otherwise different inside and out and appeal to different kinds of consumers. I don't care for the Sonata (nice enough car, but I don't like the styling inside or out), but I'd buy an Optima Turbo.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

cawimmer430

Put a separating metal strip between that grille and you end up with this!

^Instant BMW!^  :lol:

Look closely...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Atomic

the front closely resembles a BMW, the rear, a lexus LS. not a bad looking car by any means but is it unique enough? will it matter to the average driver? :huh:

Hachee

I like it, certainly more than the Equus, but I was expecting something sharper, tauter in terms of styling.  This seems a little watered down to me.  I suppose there's a big Korean market for this.  For the US, I'd rather see them do a very sporty version of the Genesis.

Raza

That is ugly.  The Optima is okay, but the more I see it on the roads, more it seems overwrought.  This is not good at all though.

Maybe it'll grow on me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2012, 11:27:58 PM
They both sell, though.
In the short term, sure. But I doubt that if in 2 generations from now the Optima/Sonata are as identical as they are now the sales volume will be similar. 
Quote from: thewizard16 on February 27, 2012, 11:38:19 PM
They're different enough I don't think it's an issue. The Optima and Sonata for example, may have mechanical things in common, but they're otherwise different inside and out and appeal to different kinds of consumers. I don't care for the Sonata (nice enough car, but I don't like the styling inside or out), but I'd buy an Optima Turbo.

But that?s the thing, it?s just styling differences for the most part.  Some people will appreciate being able to get the same car in a different stylistic wrapper but at the end of the day it?s still the same car.  It?s like GM a decade ago just nowhere near as bad.  Every division of GM had pretty much the same car in slightly different styling and while they each sold, GM was pretty much competing with itself. 

I think it?s okay in the meantime while Kia creates some market presence, but, I think the next generation of each car needs to be a good amount different from each other than they are now.

Keep in mind, I haven?t driven either just going by reviews I?ve read.

But, taking the topic to this car, it seems like this will be to the Equus what the Optima will be to the Sonata.  It?ll be nothing but a stylistic change with maybe a firmer ride.  Too similar, IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 28, 2012, 05:45:04 AM

Look closely...

For once you actually make sense.

SVT666

Quote from: Hachee on February 28, 2012, 07:27:38 AM
I like it, certainly more than the Equus, but I was expecting something sharper, tauter in terms of styling.  This seems a little watered down to me.  I suppose there's a big Korean market for this.  For the US, I'd rather see them do a very sporty version of the Genesis.
The back half looks like a Lexus, which is not good for Kia.

Atomic

Quote from: Raza  on February 28, 2012, 08:12:07 AM
That is ugly.  The Optima is okay, but the more I see it on the roads, more it seems overwrought.  This is not good at all though.

Maybe it'll grow on me.
the problem with the kia optima for me is that it does standout. that is an important factor for a rare or exclusive car, IMO, but these daring new kias are so commonplace now that i am getting bored with its trendy "good looks". the honda accord and toyota camry are very handsome, i think, but they are both non offensive to look at, yet very plentiful. there is a fine line of course, but neither kia or hyundai has found that yet.

remember when green cars all of a sudden became extremely popular? well, not until the color went from pleasantly unique to even the smith's and jone's families own a green car.

CJ

What's the likelihood of them selling this car here?  It makes perfect sense for the Korean market.

CJ

How about we not have a million threads about this car?

SVT666

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 28, 2012, 05:45:04 AM

Look closely...

Nah...

I think the front looks more like Audi's A6.

And the rear 3/4 view looks like the profile of the previous (current?) gen Lexus GS IMO.

Hachee

Quote from: Atomic on February 28, 2012, 11:01:53 AM
the problem with the kia optima for me is that it does standout. that is an important factor for a rare or exclusive car, IMO, but these daring new kias are so commonplace now that i am getting bored with its trendy "good looks". the honda accord and toyota camry are very handsome, i think, but they are both non offensive to look at, yet very plentiful. there is a fine line of course, but neither kia or hyundai has found that yet.

Huh?  The Accord and Camry are plentiful because they've earned excellent reputations over the course of many years (recent problems and criticisms notwithstanding).  People have long bought them for many reasons, including their inoffensive looks.  The Sonata and Optima were equally inoffensive, but didn't have the Camcord's reputations, and sold in far fewer numbers.  It wasn't until they broke out of the pack with high style (polarizing as some may find them, especially the Sonata) that they started to really sell well. 

We might well see Hyundai and Kia take fewer chances in their next iterations, since they have a lot more to lose now. 

omicron