How good of a driver do you honestly feel you are

Started by sportyaccordy, March 11, 2012, 06:10:26 PM

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hounddog on March 12, 2012, 02:08:55 PM
I have an incredibly difficult time believing that.

Sure, some of the game "physics" apply in the real world, but, without ever having stepped into a car and having to deal with the real life variables such as yaw/pitch/G-force, etc. while navigating multiple turns and curves?  It would be incredibly difficult to deal with these issues for a beginning race driver who has only experienced two dimentional "racing." 

We had tons of police officers who have been through basic precision driving in their academies, drive police cars for years and then one day are sent to the MSP Advanced Precision Driving School.  Usually, a few put their cars in the grass, others drop a wheel off the track and have to requalify all while having several days of driving instruction prior to running at high speed.

Jump in a car after only playing video games and kill everyone on the track?  Probably not.
I've read stories of people losing control of their car and being able to hold it together due to their Gran Turismo experience.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hounddog

Like I said, some of the game "physics" will apply.  

Hitting apexes, probably basic vehicle control, etc.  Most likely, their own driving experience is more of what comes into play in those stories. 

But, that is a far cry from being able to do the magical things some stories suggest?  One would have to see it to believe it.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hounddog on March 12, 2012, 02:13:42 PM
Like I said, some of the game "physics" will apply. 

Hitting apexes, probably basic vehicle control, etc.  Most likely, their own driving experience is more of what comes into play in those stories. 

But, that is a far cry from being able to do the magical things some stories suggest?  One would have to see it to believe it.

Yeah, I don't believe the people who say they destroyed a track simply by playing GT4/5. It's a completely different experience for sure. I do believe that playing a lot of video games can maybe shave 1-2 seconds off of your times around a decently sized track, but not much more than that.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Northlands

I think the video game thing is ludicrous. Getting a feel for a car in person vs. in game are completely different things. The only really tiny advantage to playing the game is gaining a familiarity of the track itself. It still can't replicate how the turns feel, or the conditions you'd drive in that particular day, but I guess you'd have an idea of what turns came at what time.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Byteme

Quote from: thecarnut on March 12, 2012, 02:10:34 PM
I've read stories of people losing control of their car and being able to hold it together due to their Gran Turismo experience.

I'm sure that's true.  It's been shown that using Microsoft Fllight Simulator can and does help student pilots master some tasks more quickly.

hotrodalex

Video games can help with the knowledge aspect of driving, but the reflexes have to come from real life. You might know to turn the wheel into the direction of the skid, but you have to learn the timing and precision in a real car. Knowing exactly when you are on the limit can't be taught in a video game.

MrH

well, I don't really understand the scale in this thread. I'm in the top 1% of average joes for sure. But compared to professional racers? A zero.

Just finished my second trip at the ring. Pretty solid on there. I was better the first time (better prepared, better passenger directing me what was coming up and who wanted to pass, and a car I felt more comfortable with), I can power slide the miata easily, no wrecks, etc.

As for the video game thing: absolutely helps. Hit an entire bridge of black ice in the protege. Tail whipped around. definitely had a Gran turismo instinct kick in. Ended up sliding the tail back and forth the whole length of the bridge. 45 degree slip angles easily. Had it not.been for Gran turismo would have lost it for sure.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on March 12, 2012, 02:56:05 PM

Just finished my second trip at the ring. Pretty solid on there. I was better the first time (better prepared, better passenger directing me what was coming up and who wanted to pass, and a car I felt more comfortable with)
What were you driving and what was your time?  Driving the Ring is a dream of mine, and I would love to be sub 10 minutes, but that's pretty difficult to do.

Onslaught

Video games do not help. No fucking racing wheel has the feedback of a real car and I know because I have one of the best ones money can buy. I'm sure theta playing games can't hurt. But it's not the same at all.
I learned all about driving on go-carts and on the tracks I had on my land as a kid. You want your kid to know how to drive well then give him one. He'll learn more from that then any PS3 game.
If not that then an R/C car. Not that cheap shit ones at Target. I'm talking about the ones that are like real cars shrunk down. You'll learn stuff from them too.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 12, 2012, 12:22:17 PM
This is why the 7s and 8s are surprising to me. 7-8 is like a midlevel professional race car driver... I don't think anyone here could hop in something like an F1 car and do a race-worthy lap time

If Ayrton Senna was a 9... how can anyone here be an 8?

They only reason I can't hop into an F1 car is because I am too fat to literally hop into an F1 car. I suck at a lot of things, but I am not shy about saying that I can drive.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

As a regular Joe I'd say I'm a solid 7 in a car and a 6 (i gotta learn how to drag a knee) on the bikes.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 12, 2012, 04:50:03 PM
They only reason I can't hop into an F1 car is because I am too fat to literally hop into an F1 car. I suck at a lot of things, but I am not shy about saying that I can drive.

WTF...you drove the F1 cars the time we went to the indoor track.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on March 12, 2012, 02:56:05 PM
well, I don't really understand the scale in this thread. I'm in the top 1% of average joes for sure. But compared to professional racers? A zero.

I was thinking of it as a sort of composite scaled as a percentile, not really a linear scale.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

saxonyron

Quote from: SVT666 on March 12, 2012, 10:37:36 AM
If MexicoCityM3 claims he's a 7-8 and he tracks his cars on a regular basis, I'm going to say I'm a 6.  If he hadn't posted that, I would have said I was a 7.  I have great car control and I can drive very fast very safely.  But, I've got nothing on people who track their cars all the time.

When you compare someone to Schumacher or Senna, they're in the top .00000000001%, so they wouldn't be a "9", more like a 9.99999, give or take a decimal.  By that scale, I'd say Mexico is being too humble and he's easily an 8.  I guess I'm 6-7.  I fully enjoy driving and pretty much whenever I'm behind the wheel I'm looking to clip apexes, get ahead of the pack of slugs, or consciously enjoy the G's on an exit ramp.  Basically a driving enthusiast.  If you're an enthusiast and been driving 30 years, you'd better be a decent driver or you'd likely have killed yourself by now.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Rupert

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 12, 2012, 01:48:29 PM
I don't think an 0 or 1 is unreasonable. And the intention was to compare one's self to professional race car drivers. A full span absolute scale. Just to kind of put complaints about driver isolation + electronics in context

Also don't sleep on video game experience. There have been many stories about dudes who had no experience but shit like Gran Turismo and went and decimated a real track like Laguna Seca. That might be good for 1/2 a point.

If you're gonna get this picky, you should just set out some very specific requirements for each point.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on March 12, 2012, 07:08:14 PM
WTF...you drove the F1 cars the time we went to the indoor track.

F1 car:

What you're thinking of:

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on March 12, 2012, 10:33:29 PM
Not sure what the purpose of this thread is.

Opportunity to debate arcane points for unearned bragging rights.    :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: MiataJohn on March 12, 2012, 02:28:01 PM
I'm sure that's true.  It's been shown that using Microsoft Fllight Simulator can and does help student pilots master some tasks more quickly.

Years ago, my wife gave me a flying lesson. About a 1/4 of the way in, the instructor asked if I'd done this before. "No, but I've put some hours in on Flight Simulator."

"It shows, you're the only first timer I've had who reads the instruments. All the others stare out of the window."
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on March 12, 2012, 10:33:29 PM
Not sure what the purpose of this thread is.

Might by my narcissism kicking in, but I imagine it has something to do with the discussions Sporty has been having regarding stickshifts in high powered cars with certain individuals. 

I think it's ridiculous to think that anyone here isn't an 8 or 9 on a 10 point scale, just by the very fact that we like and care about cars.  Say that you say you're in the 95th percentile.  Let's say that half the world's population is considered a driver--3.4 billion.  That means that 5% of drivers are better than you, roughly 170 million.  The entire driving population of the United States is better than you worldwide.  That's entirely bullshit.  Judging by the fact that we're all here, I'd say that we're all 97th or better, top race car drivers are a very, very, very, very insignificant number.  Drivers at that level number in the thousands, not the millions, not even in tens of thousands. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Raza has changed my way of thinking. I'm a 69.

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 13, 2012, 06:44:40 AM
Years ago, my wife gave me a flying lesson. About a 1/4 of the way in, the instructor asked if I'd done this before. "No, but I've put some hours in on Flight Simulator."

"It shows, you're the only first timer I've had who reads the instruments. All the others stare out of the window."

If you are flying VFR, which you were, your eyes are suppose to be outside the cockpit.  You'll never see that other airplane, that radio tower, by staring at your instruments.  That said you are suppose to monitor the instruments to ensure the airplane is doing what you intend it to do and that the engine is doing what it's suppose to do.  Just don't fixate on either one. 

Onslaught

My brothers big into simulators and just got his pilots license. He's the first person at the school to get a perfect score on the test. I hate him.

Raza

Haha! 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

I landed a Cessna with no assistance when I was 14, on my third flying lesson. Pffffffffffft. I would've gotten my license, but apparently I was supposed to
come up with the $2000 myself. Parents.... :facepalm:

PROTIP for parents: when your kid shows a great natural talent and enthusiasm for something that they can make a great living at when they grow up, don't be a fucking cheapskate.

giant_mtb

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 11, 2012, 07:29:27 PM
I'll go with 5. Decent knowledge and ability, but obviously nowhere near as much experience as other guys.

I'll go with this one, too. 

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 13, 2012, 08:37:48 AM
I landed a Cessna with no assistance when I was 14, on my third flying lesson. Pffffffffffft. I would've gotten my license, but apparently I was supposed to
come up with the $2000 myself. Parents.... :facepalm:

PROTIP for parents: when your kid shows a great natural talent and enthusiasm for something that they can make a great living at when they grow up, don't be a fucking cheapskate.

Most professional pilots don't make a great living.  But it is something they love.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MiataJohn on March 13, 2012, 09:23:53 AM
Most professional pilots don't make a great living.  But it is something they love.

I could have been a crop duster!

Xer0

I?m a decent driver.  Pretty alert and I pay attention behind the wheel.  Unfortunately, I am terrible with directions and I?m always, always getting lost.  It?s pretty bad.