Started by sportyaccordy, March 11, 2012, 06:10:26 PM

sportyaccordy

1 being

10 being

Be honest, cite references

I am probably a 3 out of 10

dazzleman

Probably a 6.

I think my driving skills are slipping.  I don't drive a lot, and most of what I do is not challenging.  I think I am a reasonably good driver under routine circumstances, but I would question my ability to handle more challenging circumstances.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

I'm going to go with somewhere between a 6 and a 7. Although I think of myself as a good driver, my actual track time is quite limited- mostly drag strip and ice racing, a smattering of autocross and HPDE days. I've done well at these things, but always it seems a tier below the really fast guys.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

I don't think I am an exceptional driver by any means. I'd say 4 or 5/10.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 11, 2012, 06:30:38 PM
I'm going to go with somewhere between a 6 and a 7. Although I think of myself as a good driver, my actual track time is quite limited- mostly drag strip and ice racing, a smattering of autocross and HPDE days. I've done well at these things, but always it seems a tier below the really fast guys.
Formal training/track time def goes a long way. When I get out of this hell hole I def hope to get track time on two & four wheels.

ifcar

I have zero experience playing with a car's limits, but I put a lot of thought and attention into courteous day-to-day driving and have never had an accident. I don't know which extreme you'd count that as closer to.

Lebowski

hotrodalex

I'll go with 5. Decent knowledge and ability, but obviously nowhere near as much experience as other guys.

Onslaught

I'd say a 6 or 7 now and perhaps better a few years ago but I'm not sure.

I've never hit anything or had an accident. The biggest mistake I've ever made was curbing my right rear tire.  So as far as normal driving on public roads I'd say a 10. The fast stuff I no longer have the balls to try some of the things I would in the past. After getting hurt then ridding in an ambulance and staying nights in the hospital I no longer have what it takes to push a car as far as I'd like. I find myself backing off and you can't be like that if you want to be real good. I was riding with some guys who do track time and one of them is even an instructor. I was keeping up with them but I wasn't having any fun. I had fear and that's something I've never had before.

Also with my wrist getting so smashed up I don't feel I can turn the steering wheel as fast or well as I could in the past. I can do it but it's just not right sometimes.

sportyaccordy

I am talking about pushing a car to its limits, not necessarily staying out of accidents. Its not hard to stay out of accidents on the street. Plus sometimes accidents happen that aren't your fault.

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 11, 2012, 07:52:33 PM
I am talking about pushing a car to its limits, not necessarily staying out of accidents. Its not hard to stay out of accidents on the street. Plus sometimes accidents happen that aren't your fault.
I know. And I'd say at pushing a car to it's limits I'm a very solid 6 and perhaps a 7.

68_427

The only time I've ever tried is when there's snow and ice on the ground.  Quite honestly I've never felt I was losing control of my car, Even when I was sideways with the speedometer above 60mph.  (I was no going 60mph, maybe 25mph, but my car was sideways as all hell)  I've also held a continuous drift for 6 minutes.  Maybe a 4 or 5.  I'd love to do more.  My neighbor is contemplating getting a dirt car and he wants me to drive it if he gets one.  Maybe I'll find out then.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hounddog

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

Cars: I will give myself a modest 7, since college stripped my financial ability to continue any competitive driving, and have since been slacking for a couple of years. With the professional training that I've always wanted, I have no doubt that I'd quickly reach a solid 9 or better. I was winning autocrosses after a couple of times out, with absolutely no training or experience, and shitty cars. Given time with any car, I am confident that I can drive it as fast and as well as most so-called professional race drivers. I will put my emphasis on rally-style driving. This is just a natural talent of mine. I have excellent spacial awareness, and response to tactile input. I can drive almost entirely without using the clutch, and have been left-foot braking since I was 16. My first car was a Suzuki Samurai. I didn't want an SUV, so I drove it like a sports car. And so it began.  My one real accident was soneobe rear ending my Jetta, and not my fault.

Motorcycles: I'll give myself a 4. I am not at all comfortable taking turns near the limits of traction, drifting, or doing wheelies.  However, I love leaning down into turns and scraping pegs, and rocketing off the line, popping the front wheel up on 1-2/2-3 shifts. I am quite confortable cruising down most any road, but wet leaves scare the shit out of me. I have dumped a bike obe time because I reated pooely when a pickup truck pulled out in front of me. That broke a rib or two.

Semi-trucks: I get an 8. With no exoerience, I took a two-day class and passed my CDL test. I can jam gears with the best of them, and have figured out the joy of modulating air-brakes. I've driven in snow, on black ice in high winds, saved a couple of jack-knifes, and made it down long 6% grades fully loaded without flying off the road. My one downfall can be backing the trailer into a parking spot or loading dock. Some guys do it in one shot every time.
It usually takes me three times before I'm satisfied.

Forklifts: 7. I am certainly not the fastest fork lift driver, but that is because I am very careful. I spilled one pallet one time, and that was it. Not slow, but not batshit crazy mexican fast.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

I forgot to mention, that I'm the fastest ever using a controller on GTPlanet's SIARPC

So easily a 9.5
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

I want to learn how to drive better, actually. Next car I get I may just go to an autocross or two.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on March 11, 2012, 09:11:52 PM
I want to learn how to drive better, actually. Next car I get I may just go to an autocross or two.

The Focus would be great if the suspension wasn't mis-matched.  ...or maybe that would be a good learning tool!

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 11, 2012, 09:15:05 PM
The Focus would be great if the suspension wasn't mis-matched.  ...or maybe that would be a good learning tool!

This car even when the suspension was right would likely not pass inspection.

Onslaught

I'm not a big fan of autocross. It's very hard on your car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on March 11, 2012, 09:16:08 PM
This car even when the suspension was right would likely not pass inspection.

A Focus with SVT suspension is a great car. But you always find a way to make it sound like a 1982 Dodge Aries.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 11, 2012, 09:21:54 PM
A Focus with SVT suspension is a great car. But you always find a way to make it sound like a 1982 Dodge Aries.

It drives great, yeah.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 11, 2012, 09:28:01 PM
Well, yeah.

So?
I've done autocross and think it kind of sucked. Hit the gas as hard as you can then stomp the brakes. Repeat same step over and over again.
I'd much rather do track days then that. Track days seem more like a dance while autocross is like a mosh pit.

2o6

Quote from: Onslaught on March 11, 2012, 09:32:57 PM
I've done autocross and think it kind of sucked. Hit the gas as hard as you can then stomp the brakes. Repeat same step over and over again.
I'd much rather do track days then that. Track days seem more like a dance while autocross is like a mosh pit.

The nearest road track is 100 miles away...

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Onslaught on March 11, 2012, 09:32:57 PM
If you're stomping on the brakes and gas the whole way through you're probably doing it wrong.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

S204STi

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 11, 2012, 07:29:27 PM
I'll go with 5. Decent knowledge and ability, but obviously nowhere near as much experience as other guys.

Ditto.

Colin

If you ever been out with a true professional, especially a race or rally driver, you will realise that while your skills may seem perfectly fine for normal road driving, there is so much more to learn.

On that basis, unless there are things that you have not told us about your driver training, I think most of you have way over-called your skills and abilities here...... if the likes of Michael Schumacher and Carlos Sainz are a 10, then few of us are honestly ever going to be better than a 5 or 6. 

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

I'd say I'm an 8 with regard to being a safe, defensive driver. I do go a little fast but I don't mess around when it comes to awareness of other drivers, maintaining following room, and calculating escape routes on crowded freeways. I also tend to ease my way through streets with lots of lights w/o lots of braking - lots of bozos love to get up to speed and STOP... speed up, and STOP. etc.

Performance driving? Probably like a 4. I was decent with the Miata, but it's pretty hard to get into trouble with that.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT