My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

Raza

Should have ponied up for a decent car in the first place instead of buying a Nissan in hopes that Nissan stops sucking in the near future. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 02, 2012, 01:25:00 PM
Lol!

New G is getting revealed at the Detroit Auto Show this year. We'll see if they go dsg or not.

Quite likely it will not, or at least not in the standard car. There's been rumors of an M3/AMG/S competitor using a muted version of the GT-R drive train but we'll see. Nissan has never showed interest in competing in that space; in fact the whole of Japan has sidestepped it save for the IS-F (which I'd NEVER buy). Much like much of the rest of the "new" cars from Japan recently I'm expecting a "new" G to be as "new" as the "new" Accord/Camry/Civic, etc. So, warmed over a bit but not really new. I hope I'm wrong.

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on December 01, 2012, 01:08:47 PM
Same here. My fuel economy actually improves when I really go for it on backroads. :facepalm:

And my city is now talking about adding additional "traffic calming" features. It's so calm already that it's practically narcoleptic! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

SLOW DOWN SPEED KILLS ETC.

Those are just obstacles and an excuse to see just how fast you can get around them.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on December 02, 2012, 02:53:42 PM
Those are just obstacles and an excuse to see just how fast you can get around them.
It's like traffic circles.  There are 4 of them in a row between the Canadian border and Bellingham and it's a freeway.  I take them as fast as a I possibly can.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on December 01, 2012, 02:55:06 PM
DSG/DCT/etc. for me.

Do they still shift very jerky?

Drove  Smart ForFour with one, it was like whiplash every shift. And you HAD to floor it because it was gutless.
Will

MrH

The Smart had one of the worst examples of automated manuals I've experienced.  They're really bad.

Go drive a GTI with one.  That's an easily accessible vehicle with an example of a DSG done right.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

The dual clutch boxes work great - too fast to be jerky really.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on December 02, 2012, 06:34:02 PM
The dual clutch boxes work great - too fast to be jerky really.

Tell Ford that....the one in small cars does some pretty stupid things at slow speeds.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on December 02, 2012, 07:21:45 PM
Tell Ford that....the one in small cars does some pretty stupid things at slow speeds.
It was a programming issue and it has been fixed.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on December 02, 2012, 07:42:46 PM
It was a programming issue and it has been fixed.

So the Focus doesn't have that issue anymore? Cool.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 02, 2012, 05:10:36 PM
Do they still shift very jerky?

Drove  Smart ForFour with one, it was like whiplash every shift. And you HAD to floor it because it was gutless.

Good dual clutches are pretty smooth.  I'd say smoother than even a modern automatic.  My brother's S4 is really seamless. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on December 02, 2012, 02:47:47 PM
Quite likely it will not, or at least not in the standard car. There's been rumors of an M3/AMG/S competitor using a muted version of the GT-R drive train but we'll see. Nissan has never showed interest in competing in that space; in fact the whole of Japan has sidestepped it save for the IS-F (which I'd NEVER buy). Much like much of the rest of the "new" cars from Japan recently I'm expecting a "new" G to be as "new" as the "new" Accord/Camry/Civic, etc. So, warmed over a bit but not really new. I hope I'm wrong.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you buy an IS-F?  Ride quality?  I hear they're pretty punishing. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Just not a fan (harsh ride (but haven't been in one), slush box A/T, IS back seat space is an abomination, I need AWD) though they did tone down the ricer styling for 2012.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on December 02, 2012, 03:08:17 PM
It's like traffic circles.  There are 4 of them in a row between the Canadian border and Bellingham and it's a freeway.  I take them as fast as a I possibly can.

Wait, traffic circles on I-5? That is odd. Wasn't there when I lived there.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on December 03, 2012, 12:22:01 AM
Wait, traffic circles on I-5? That is odd. Wasn't there when I lived there.
not on the I-5.  They are between Bellingham and Sumas.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on December 02, 2012, 09:22:04 PM
Just not a fan (harsh ride (but haven't been in one), slush box A/T, IS back seat space is an abomination, I need AWD) though they did tone down the ricer styling for 2012.

Yeah, that transmission is a wet blanket.  And the back seat is tight.  AWD doesn't bother me, but to each his own. 

I feel like there was such a gap between the IS350 and the IS-F.  I liked the IS, but no stick in the 350 was a dealbreaker, and the IS-F is so beyond what is necessary (or affordable to me) and again, no stickshift.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26986.msg1816748#msg1816748 date=1354550682
Yeah, that transmission is a wet blanket.  And the back seat is tight.  AWD doesn't bother me, but to each his own. 

I feel like there was such a gap between the IS350 and the IS-F.  I liked the IS, but no stick in the 350 was a dealbreaker, and the IS-F is so beyond what is necessary (or affordable to me) and again, no stickshift.
It's like the difference between the CTS and the CTS-V.  The CTS 3.6 DI doesn't have a stick or at the very least, steering wheel paddles, but the CTS-V is so bonkers that I (a) can't afford one, and (b) is way too bonkers.  I would have loved an LS3 powered CTS with a stick.  That would have been perfect.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on December 03, 2012, 12:41:53 AM
not on the I-5.  They are between Bellingham and Sumas.

Ah, right, I think I remember those... I didn't think that was a freeway.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on December 03, 2012, 12:52:53 PM
Ah, right, I think I remember those... I didn't think that was a freeway.
I guess it's not a true freeway.  It's 4 lanes and has a large median, albeit paved.

Rupert

Close enough. I only ever made that drive a few times.

GoCougs

Wowzers - I'm now part of the 17.x mpg club courtesy of snow tires and ski rack...

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 04, 2012, 09:57:42 AM
Wowzers - I'm now part of the 17.x mpg club courtesy of snow tires and ski rack...
That's horrific.  I have never had mileage that bad in our G unless I'm going WOT all the time.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on December 04, 2012, 10:03:29 AM
That's horrific.  I have never had mileage that bad in our G unless I'm going WOT all the time.

The Accord also saw a ~15% mileage drop with snow tires and racks (from 27 -> 23)...

Laconian

Early average MPGs are into the very low 20's on the same commute since switching my 17" tires. That's like a 20% improvement in my fuel economy.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 04, 2012, 02:33:01 PM
The Accord also saw a ~15% mileage drop with snow tires and racks (from 27 -> 23)...
Our average MPG has gone down by 1.3 mpg since our winters went on. 

GoCougs

I'm up to right at 18 mpg now. I think a bit of it also due to the upsizing to 18" wheels.

We use a lot of ethanol in our gas in the Puget Sound region, which kills mileage.

GoCougs

Have done a few ski trips. Snow performance is excellent. It is near impossible to upset the car with stability control on at anything less than 35 mph. "Snow mode" I have deemed utterly worthless thus far. Tires work really well.

2o6

TurboDan

Speed_Racer