Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

68_427

He wants 18s
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

I'd pay a bit more for 19" tires in order to have those wheels.

68_427

If you're going 19s might as well get the light weight Rays from the 1st gen coupe.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Yeah, not into custom wheels, and the first gen G wheels would look too anachronistic I think.

This would be my first choice (factory standalone 18" wheel upgrade option):

This would be my second choice (18" wheels that come with the Sport package):

TurboDan

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 23, 2012, 11:03:31 PM
I'd pay a bit more for 19" tires in order to have those wheels.

Meh. 19s are so overpriced it's stupid.

CALL_911

I saw a new G37S sedan with the rims on the seconds car today. Looked awesome.

That said, I'm a fan of the first set of rims too.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Sigh, the G37 is DEFINITELY a Nissan. Though it?s got a monster motor and good chassis overall the details are actually not as good as the 7th gen Accord?s - interior design/materials, fuel door, engine NVH, etc., are better on the Accord. About the only detail the G got better was the trunk hinge (external strut scissor vs. the Accord?s internal torsion spring goose neck).

I?m now starting to regret the darker color. My favorite no-touch car wash leaves water spots and even a fingernail errantly dragged across the door handle pocket leaves a distinct mark. I?m envious of the white service loaner I had last week.

I also revisit my complaint about the VQ. With 328 hp this car should be quicker especially in light of the short gearing (7600 rpm red line yet by 60 mph the G is in 3rd gear, where as most cars are in 2nd gear). But, it's still fairly quick and the my NVH complaints are admittedly minor.

Do I regret the purchase? No. I didn't trust the S4 for reliability and the TL styling was all sorts of wrong. I just realize that the G ain't perfect but at the end of it all it does deliver on what I need, and all at a rock star price.

Eye of the Tiger

BULLSHIT. Nissans make taxis. Infiniti makes luxury automobiles.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 25, 2012, 01:34:00 AM
I saw a new G37S sedan with the rims on the seconds car today. Looked awesome.

Eh, I'm not a fan of those.

GoCougs

Got the Bluetooth working with my iPhone. Actually sounds really good to callers - much better than the Bluetooth headset I have. Very handy.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on March 26, 2012, 08:05:18 PM
Got the Bluetooth working with my iPhone. Actually sounds really good to callers - much better than the Bluetooth headset I have. Very handy.
You might want to replace your BT headset, if that's the case. I upgraded mine recently and have received compliments on the call clarity. You'd think it'd be one of those things that they'd have right on version 1.0 of the product. Multiple microphones and better signal processing make things better, I guess...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on March 26, 2012, 09:11:24 PM
You might want to replace your BT headset, if that's the case. I upgraded mine recently and have received compliments on the call clarity. You'd think it'd be one of those things that they'd have right on version 1.0 of the product. Multiple microphones and better signal processing make things better, I guess...

I really researched them a lot, and got advice from the place I bought it. Oh, well, I usually only used my headset in the car anyways...

GoCougs

So, took it super easy on this tank of gas and got 21.5 mpg and ~360 miles with ~1/8th of a tank left. More than 50% city/rural driving too. Not too bad I guess.

SVT666

Sounds like you would have been happier with an Accord.

S204STi

Buyer's remorse.

I even went through that with the WRX.  But after a few years, I'm still stoked about the car.

There will always be something better, faster, etc.

GoCougs

I don't think it's buyer's remorse. I think it well known in the industry and enthusiast community that generally Honda is better with the details than Nissan; I'm just confirming it. I also succinctly discounted the only two other cars I was considering so really there was no other choice for me. I guess part of it is the thrill/drama/effort is over. I spent a LOT of time looking/thinking/justifying what I wanted...

Raza

Yeah, Nissan blows.  They used to be better driving than Toyota and harder edged than Honda, but now they're just lame.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

So the dealer will fix the fuel door actuator and dent in the fuel door under warranty. Super glad on the latter as that was really really bugging me (and unlike for the couple Infiniti does not sell pre painted fuel doors). The actuator was actually broken so something goofy happened.

I'm also looking at having that clear chip guard applique installed. They quoted me an unbelievable $1,295 for the entire package (nose, mirrors, door edges, rear bumper just below the trunk) but that's ridiculous. I only want the door edges and trunk area. They will call me with a quote. Any one had this done?

ifcar

Quote from: S204STi on March 27, 2012, 12:48:26 AM

There will always be something better, faster, etc.

Not than an Accord. The problem is he's already peaked -- once you've had an Accord, it's all downhill from there.

Raza

I had the 3M clear bra on my Boxster, but I got it for free.  Dealer threw it in, claimed it a $3000 value.  I remember looking at Elises, and they offered to install it before taking delivery for a similar price.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2012, 01:54:12 PM
Yeah, Nissan blows.  They used to be better driving than Toyota and harder edged than Honda, but now they're just lame. 

I wouldn't say Nissan blows. For a base MSRP of $38k the G37x offers IMO the segment's best drive train (monster N/A motor + decently tuned 7sp AT), very good chassis and handling/ride compromise, and the segment's most sophisticated AWD system. The tradeoff is a bit of cheapness on some of the details. I'd much rather take this tradeoff than the other way around. It's also a notable upgrade over the (7th gen) Accord.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on March 27, 2012, 02:04:25 PM
I wouldn't say Nissan blows. For a base MSRP of $38k the G37x offers IMO the segment's best drive train (monster N/A motor + decently tuned 7sp AT), very good chassis and handling/ride compromise, and the segment's most sophisticated AWD system. The tradeoff is a bit of cheapness on some of the details. I'd much rather take this tradeoff than the other way around. It's also a notable upgrade over the (7th gen) Accord.

Granted, I haven't driven the newest generation G series, but the first gen never delivered on what its numbers promised.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26986.msg1693265#msg1693265 date=1332879078
Granted, I haven't driven the newest generation G series, but the first gen never delivered on what its numbers promised.

In '05 it basically came down to the Accord and slightly used first-gen G but I went with the Accord as I had a sales/consulting job at the time and a "fancy" car was ill advised by the company (they were paying me a large reimbursement so I didn't squawk too much). Plus, the gap between a 7th gen Accord V6 and a 1st gen G35 wasn't all that much. The first gen G definitely had refinement issues and was for all intents and purposes a Nissan not an Infiniti. However, when it debuted in mid 2002, it hit a sweet spot between performance and price. And to this day the 1st gen G35's styling has worn exceptionally well.

SJ_GTI

Little late but congrats on the car! Its really a nice looking color IMHO.

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 28, 2012, 06:27:01 AM
Little late but congrats on the car! Its really a nice looking color IMHO.

Thanks and welcome back! You get married or something???

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on March 26, 2012, 01:53:18 PM

I?m now starting to regret the darker color. My favorite no-touch car wash leaves water spots and even a fingernail errantly dragged across the door handle pocket leaves a distinct mark. I?m envious of the white service loaner I had last week.

The no-touch car wash always left water spots...you were just too blind to see them on a lighter color.  ;) :lol:

And yes, dark colors leave marks.  As do all colors.  It's just the noticeability. 

White cars are for lazy people! :ohyeah:

If you're worried about water spots, get a Jelly Blade from WalMart for $9 and dry your car off with it after the automatic wash.  And/or get some spray detailer.  And/or wash it yourself.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 29, 2012, 11:33:50 PM
The no-touch car wash always left water spots...you were just too blind to see them on a lighter color.  ;) :lol:

And yes, dark colors leave marks.  As do all colors.  It's just the noticeability. 

White cars are for lazy people! :ohyeah:

If you're worried about water spots, get a Jelly Blade from WalMart for $9 and dry your car off with it after the automatic wash.  And/or get some spray detailer.  And/or wash it yourself.

Actually, I'm mega color blind, so that may be some of it.

I simply like the white because it looked really good (that was a rare car too - white G37 w/black interior - most all white Gs have the wheat/stone interior).

Yeah, not into washing my car by hand anymore; I'll suffer the spots.

GoCougs

So got my fuel door fixed (actuator and dent). The loaner I had also had issues with the actuator - it's a horribly cheap design. Nissan should be ashamed.

As to the loaner, I actually got a G25x. What a worthless car; no lighter, no better MPG, and down almost 120 hp. Ugh. Can't imagine the value proposition whatsoever and I can't believe it's any cheaper to manufacture.

Cookie Monster

I don't think I've ever seen a G25. It would at least make sense if they offered it with a manual for a cheap prices, but they don't even do that.

Considering the VQ35/37 is one of the best/strongest part of the car, which I don't understand why one would get a G without it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're thinking. I do know that the 2.5L VQ was offered in the Japanese version (as the Skyline 250GT) in both the 1st and 2nd gen for some time (i.e., before the G25 was available here). Perhaps they had union commitments to make a set amount of the 2.5L (the G and Skyline are made in the same Japanese plant)...