Refreshed 2013 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Gets New Look, More Tech

Started by cawimmer430, March 16, 2012, 07:43:25 AM

cawimmer430

Refreshed 2013 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Gets New Look, More Tech

The Mercedes-Benz E-Class is due for a face-lift next year, and our colleagues at Automobile got an advance look at what the silver arrow brand has in store for its refreshed midsizer. With a significantly revised exterior design, enhanced tech features, and updated engines planned for the U.S. and abroad, the 2013 E-Class should tide Mercedes customers over until the next-gen model arrives in 2015.

The refresh will reportedly ditch the current model?s quad headlamps in favor of single-piece units, and also completely overhaul the E-Class? rear end. Automobile says the only exterior elements expected to carry over to the 2013 model are the roof, front doors, and windows. The new look is intended to be more elegant and flowing compared to the current model.

Tech features like night vision assistant will be updated to detect not only pedestrians and cyclists, but also oncoming traffic. The dynamic light assistant, which currently relies on adaptive HID technology, will switch to advanced, fast-moving LED pixels capable of automatically redirecting the beam away from oncoming traffic. Another feature intended to better protect against head-on collisions is the revised Intelligent Lane Assistant system, which monitors the car?s own lane as well as oncoming traffic and sounds an early collision warning if a crash is imminent. A car-to-car communication system will be able to recognize emergency vehicles, and warn other cars about hazards such as black ice or hydroplaning conditions. The new system will also allow for partially autonomous driving, requiring only minimal steering, braking, and throttle inputs. The head-up display will be widened, and will feature updated graphics and multi-color imagery.

Also in the cards for the E-Class refresh are revised powertrains. The twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-8 will continue service in the E63 AMG, though the E550?s 408-hp twin-turbo 4.6-liter V-8 will be replaced by a single-turbo 4.6-liter unit producing 435 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque. The 3.5-liter V-6 in the E350 will increase power from 302 to 333 hp, which should advance that car to the head of the pack, with the BMW 535i packing 300 hp and Audi A6 3.0T producing 310 hp. Finally, in an effort to keep up with the joneses, Mercedes might decide to swap out the planned V-6 for a new turbocharged four-cylinder ala BMW 528i.

As mid-cycle refreshes go, the E-Class? sounds pretty comprehensive. With the all-new E-Class arriving in 2015, and other models like the new C-Class and S-Class coupe arriving soon, consider this refresh a preview of things to come from the German automaker.

Current model shown above.

Head to Automobile to read the full story and see their gallery of renderings.

Source: Automobile

Link: http://wot.motortrend.com/refreshed-2013-mercedes-benz-e-class-gets-new-look-more-tech-180279.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CJ

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on March 16, 2012, 07:53:22 AM
It looks exactly the same. Not a bad thing, though.

Again, they're using existing photos of the 2012 model.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2012, 07:57:45 AM
Again, they're using existing photos of the 2012 model.  ;)

I posted that before I saw Raza's post.

Xer0

Its pretty crazy that the regular V8 E-class is putting out almost as much power as the old supercharged 5.4 AMGs.  Sweet.

And I'm glad that MB is keeping the V6 NA, it just makes it unique.  Although, I doubt that will last much longer.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on March 16, 2012, 09:01:06 AM
Its pretty crazy that the regular V8 E-class is putting out almost as much power as the old supercharged 5.4 AMGs.  Sweet.

And I'm glad that MB is keeping the V6 NA, it just makes it unique.  Although, I doubt that will last much longer.

I think in the future the American E-Class lineup will be something like this:

Diesel
E250 CDI
E350 CDI / E350 CDI 4Matic

Gasoline
E250 CGI
E350 / E350 4Matic / E350 CGI
E550 / E550 4Matic
E63 AMG

A smaller entry-level diesel and gasoline 4-cylinder engine should be offered IMO for those seeking luxury and efficiency.

By the way, saw an S450 CDI yesterday. Ultra rare V8 Diesel S-Class.  :mask:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

I don?t see a 250CGI making it in America.  That engine just doesn?t hold a candle to the VWAG 2.0 and gets completely smoked by the BMW 2.0.  Making matters worse, the 250 CDI also embarrasses it.  Unless they rework that engine and make it more competitive with the standard German staple, I don?t see a place for it in the E-class.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on March 16, 2012, 03:21:54 PM
I don?t see a 250CGI making it in America.  That engine just doesn?t hold a candle to the VWAG 2.0 and gets completely smoked by the BMW 2.0.  Making matters worse, the 250 CDI also embarrasses it.  Unless they rework that engine and make it more competitive with the standard German staple, I don?t see a place for it in the E-class.

I don't think anyone will buy an E250 CGI to drive competitively against a 528i. I see the people going for that model wanting an efficient E-Class and they don't want or can't get the diesel versions. The E250 CGI isn't about raw performance in the first place and I find its performance here in Europe completely sufficient.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Looks the same as the old model......j/k

I've always like the E Class.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2012, 03:30:07 PM
I don't think anyone will buy an E250 CGI to drive competitively against a 528i. I see the people going for that model wanting an efficient E-Class and they don't want or can't get the diesel versions. The E250 CGI isn't about raw performance in the first place and I find its performance here in Europe completely sufficient.

You really overestimate the number of buyers who look for fuel efficiency in $50k cars. Yeah, a petrol E250 would be cheaper than that, but people who want a cheaper E-class would be perfectly happy buying a C-class.

Colonel Cadillac

Xer0

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2012, 03:30:07 PM

People don?t buy the 528 for raw performance either.  They don?t buy it as that cars upgraded option.  They buy 528?s because they want an efficient 5 Series.  The 528 and the E250CGI occupy the same space in each company?s lineup as that soft, efficient, entry level offering.  However, the 528?s engines greatly towers over the E250?s.  

We don?t have the E250 here, but going by C250 vs. 328 comparisons/numbers that I see, it is just not competitive with BMW?s offering.  Step that engine up into a heavier package and it?ll be even more of a problem.  And even worse, BMW?s have been getting softer and more Mercedes like recently so it?s not that hard to get the Mercedes feel somewhere else.

The engine may be adequate, but it isn?t competitive.  

hotrodalex

A lot of people buy the 528 because they can't afford a 535 or 550.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 16, 2012, 03:39:51 PM
You really overestimate the number of buyers who look for fuel efficiency in $50k cars. Yeah, a petrol E250 would be cheaper than that, but people who want a cheaper E-class would be perfectly happy buying a C-class.

Likewise, I could argue that someone will go for an E-Class over a C-Class because they want more interior space, better comfort and they feel that an E250 CGI will be just fine for their needs.

If there are CHOICES people will generally buy what suits their needs, whether it is to impress the neighbors with the badge/car or to drive a fuel-efficient luxury car.

Quote from: Xer0 on March 16, 2012, 03:42:58 PM
People don?t buy the 528 for raw performance either.  They don?t buy it as that cars upgraded option.  They buy 528?s because they want an efficient 5 Series.  The 528 and the E250CGI occupy the same space in each company?s lineup as that soft, efficient, entry level offering.  However, the 528?s engines greatly towers over the E250?s. 

We don?t have the E250 here, but going by C250 vs. 328 comparisons/numbers that I see, it is just not competitive with BMW?s offering.  Step that engine up into a heavier package and it?ll be even more of a problem.  And even worse, BMW?s have been getting softer and more Mercedes like recently so it?s not that hard to get the Mercedes feel somewhere else.

The engine may be adequate, but it isn?t competitive.

I have a hard time believing that the average shopper will buy a BMW 528i over an E250 CGI based on raw performance. I think the average shopper will view the performance of an E250 CGI as sufficient and the performance of a 528i as impressive. There's more to a car than performance and that's what it will come down to for the average buyer. Things like design, comfort qualities, features or even brand allegiance are deciding factors when people buy cars.

Enthusiasts might go for the faster car, but I don't see the average Joe looking at it from that point of view.

Personally I am one of those people. I look for gas mileage over 0-100 km/h. If the car does 0-100 km/h in under 10 seconds, I'm happy. And if it gives me great gas mileage then I am even happier.

Anyway, MB isn't resting on their laurels. There will be more powerful versions of this engine in the lineup, count on it. But unlike BMW, MB doesn't market the E-Class as a "sports sedan". From driving my dads E350 CGI, I can tell that the E-Class is sporty with capable and compliant handling and if you know the car well you can even push it a little harder, but it's still comfort-biased and designed for cruising, not tearing up a track or backroads.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 16, 2012, 03:46:37 PM
A lot of people buy the 528 because they can't afford a 535 or 550.

IMO if that's the case they shouldn't even be buying a 528i.

Are these the same people that make $ 70,000 a year, buy a BMW 528i for $ 69,999 and then can't fill up the tank?  :devil:

^Hopefully you get my analogy (living above their means)...^

www.wimmerfotografie.de

hotrodalex

I know my mom went for the 4 cylinder Mazda6 because she didn't want to spend more on the V6. By "can't afford", I also meant "don't want to spend more" because they are financially responsible. Not everyone automatically goes for the most expensive model, believe it or not.

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2012, 03:53:13 PM
IMO if that's the case they shouldn't even be buying a 528i.

Are these the same people that make $ 70,000 a year, buy a BMW 528i for $ 69,999 and then can't fill up the tank?  :devil:

^Hopefully you get my analogy (living above their means)...^

Usually people like that lease their cars.  ;)

TurboDan

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 16, 2012, 03:58:12 PM
I know my mom went for the 4 cylinder Mazda6 because she didn't want to spend more on the V6. By "can't afford", I also meant "don't want to spend more" because they are financially responsible. Not everyone automatically goes for the most expensive model, believe it or not.

I agree. Personally, I'd be more likely to buy a 3er if they offered a turbo 4cyl model. There's a difference between not being able to afford something and simply not wanting to spend a certain amount of money on something.

Most people who have a good amount of money saved up didn't get to that point by always choosing the most expensive option.

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2012, 03:51:46 PM
Likewise, I could argue that someone will go for an E-Class over a C-Class because they want more interior space, better comfort and they feel that an E250 CGI will be just fine for their needs.

If there are CHOICES people will generally buy what suits their needs, whether it is to impress the neighbors with the badge/car or to drive a fuel-efficient luxury car.

But if very few buyers will opt for an E250, then there's no point in paying the extra costs to offer the model here. European carmakers can't sell in N.America for the same prices as in Europe because of stiffer competition, so their profitability here relies heavily on streamlining their product line.

If anything, M-B is better off offering a GLK250 for people who want a bigger C-class, because more people look to SUV's for more space than a bigger sedan.

cawimmer430

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 16, 2012, 03:58:12 PM

Exactly.

People seem to think that just because some folks are capable of purchasing an expensive luxury car they'll automatically go for the most expensive model (and don't care about gas prices). The truth couldn't be more different.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 16, 2012, 04:16:06 PM
But if very few buyers will opt for an E250, then there's no point in paying the extra costs to offer the model here. European carmakers can't sell in N.America for the same prices as in Europe because of stiffer competition, so their profitability here relies heavily on streamlining their product line.

I don't see that many costs associated with an E250 CGI in the US. After all, MB managed to federalize the E350 Bluetec and sold all of them (and apparently demand outstripped supply in the US!). I just feel the US could use an entry level E-Class that offers good performance and sensible running costs.

Again, I might be wrong, but I see a market, even a small one, for the E250 CGI in the US. Not everyone opting for a BMW 528i cares about performance. They'll buy the 528i because it is the cheapest and most sensible 5er around in your market. They won't care if some teenager in a Camry V6 wants to race them at the light...

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 16, 2012, 04:16:06 PMIf anything, M-B is better off offering a GLK250 for people who want a bigger C-class, because more people look to SUV's for more space than a bigger sedan.

From what I hear you guys will be getting the GLK220 CDI soon.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 17, 2012, 12:42:15 PM
Exactly.

People seem to think that just because some folks are capable of purchasing an expensive luxury car they'll automatically go for the most expensive model (and don't care about gas prices). The truth couldn't be more different.

What it boils down to, is that the vast majority rich people who want a fuel efficient car don't buy diesel Mercedes (anymore). They buy fully-loaded Priuses, Camry hybrids, and RX hybrids. Beyond that, expensive fuel sippers just don't sell well. I rarely see any newer diesel Mercedes, hybrid GS/LS models, and hybrid Escalades. I've seen exactly one hybrid S-class.

LonghornTX

Yea, I think a E250 would be relegated to a market that is just too small to justify for MBUSA. This country has moved beyond the point where they would find that level of performance acceptable in a 50K luxury car, even if it is acceptable in Europe. If pure efficiency is the goal, like Vinsanity mentioned, they would likely go buy a different car. But then again, if gas prices keep going up (I don't think they will), that might change.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

AltinD

^^ You mean, if you start paying a fair price for the car, and not have the rest of the World pay more to practically subsidize your car purchases.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

I was at a Mercedes dealership yesterday and got a good look at the E class, inside and out.  It's got to be the worst looking car Mercedes makes right now.  Well, maybe the SLK is worse. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 17, 2012, 02:05:34 PM
What it boils down to, is that the vast majority rich people who want a fuel efficient car don't buy diesel Mercedes (anymore). They buy fully-loaded Priuses, Camry hybrids, and RX hybrids. Beyond that, expensive fuel sippers just don't sell well. I rarely see any newer diesel Mercedes, hybrid GS/LS models, and hybrid Escalades. I've seen exactly one hybrid S-class.

So what happened to the market of folks who want fuel-efficient luxury cars? Those people have to be around, the type that would buy an E200 CGI if it were offered there...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 18, 2012, 07:28:45 AM
So what happened to the market of folks who want fuel-efficient luxury cars? Those people have to be around, the type that would buy an E200 CGI if it were offered there...

If there were enough demand to warrant it, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi would be taking advantage of it.  Lexus sells a luxury hybrid, the CT200h, and I don't think it's doing very well.  I've only ever seen one, and that's because I know someone who has one. 

If you can't afford to fill the tank of a luxury car, don't buy it, period.  No one is entitled to own a luxury car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i