zoom zoom!!! (WAS zoom zoom ???? )

Started by AutobahnSHO, March 20, 2012, 10:23:24 PM

AutobahnSHO

Guys, I appreciate ALL the input. (not expecting the retractions :lol: )

IF the guy sells the car, i'll look it over, talk it with the wife, and see what happens. Life is what it is, it's fun with the "what if" and I too am weighing the finances vs. fun factor of new toy. 

(Although it would be nice to have a safety cushion if the Subie assplodes or needs work....)
Will

Payman

Quote from: hounddog on March 21, 2012, 09:02:31 PM
None of our business, man, none of our business.

:huh:

Yup. Military wives are a separate breed. Remember, this woman just spent the entire year raising their kids without her husband.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on March 21, 2012, 09:02:31 PM
None of our business, man, none of our business.

:huh:
I'm certainly not going to sit here and tell him to spend money he doesn't have to buy a car he doesn't need.

Raza

If money and cars are involved and Nick says it's a good idea, it's probably not.  Unfortunately, the prudent thing would be to pass on this.  And I say this as someone who was in a similar position recently and made the decision to buy a car I couldn't afford. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: SVT666 on March 21, 2012, 09:22:44 PM
I'm certainly not going to sit here and tell him to spend money he doesn't have to buy a car he doesn't need.
I have no problem with that, none.

Wives are off limits, however.  Man rule #14.

I have no doubt you mean no harm with that post, none, but when it comes to his wife, talking about that is not very cool.  

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on March 21, 2012, 09:06:46 PM
Yup. Military wives are a separate breed. Remember, this woman just spent the entire year raising their kids without her husband.
I don't think her spending has anything to do with the last year.  He's been complaining about her spending for years.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on March 21, 2012, 09:25:39 PM
I have no problem with that, none.

Wives are off limits, however.  Man rule #14.

I have no doubt you mean no harm with that post, none, but when it comes to his wife, talking about that is not very cool.  

Bullshit.  I'm trying to be a friend and help out with some advice. 

hounddog

Whatever, but it is not cool.

He never once asked for advice about his wife.  ;)

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raza

It is a sensitive subject, that's for sure.  I had to be very careful when I told my best friend of 10+ years (a lot for someone my age) to not rely on his baby-crazy girlfriend for birth control.  I believe my exact words were "You better check those condoms with a flashlight like Halloween candy."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on March 21, 2012, 09:23:48 PM
If money and cars are involved and Nick says it's a good idea, it's probably not.  Unfortunately, the prudent thing would be to pass on this.  And I say this as someone who was in a similar position recently and made the decision to buy a car I couldn't afford. 

I disagree.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The_Joker

1994 is the best year Miata (yes I may be a bit biased). First year of the 1.8, no daisy wheels (like on the 90-93's) real oil pressure gauge, 2 piece folding sun visors, and no annoying arm rest to get in the way. Biggest potential cost would be a timing belt job (non interference engine).
94 M-Edition Miata

Onslaught

Quote from: The_Joker on March 21, 2012, 10:54:56 PM
1994 is the best year Miata (yes I may be a bit biased). First year of the 1.8, no daisy wheels (like on the 90-93's) real oil pressure gauge, 2 piece folding sun visors, and no annoying arm rest to get in the way. Biggest potential cost would be a timing belt job (non interference engine).
Refresh my memory. Did the 94 have the ugly passenger side airbag on the dash? At one time I knew all this stuff but it fell out of my head years ago.
I'm thinking it also didn't have as much weight as the 95 did because of less safety bars and shit in the door. It's been too long that I've kept up with this
stuff.

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on March 22, 2012, 03:23:58 AM
Refresh my memory. Did the 94 have the ugly passenger side airbag on the dash? At one time I knew all this stuff but it fell out of my head years ago.
I'm thinking it also didn't have as much weight as the 95 did because of less safety bars and shit in the door. It's been too long that I've kept up with this
stuff.

I forget, you are in are in the military, right?  So there is a guaranteed income?  That changes the picture somewhat.  And like I said yesterday, if the car is in good condition and doesn't need a bunch of money thrown at it you can likely recoup all or most of the purchase expense.

As far as I know the 94 and 95 aren't very much different.  By 95 they added a brace behind the front seats to tie the upper part of the car together and and some additional bracing around the rear suspension area, and at the front subframe.   Those are pluses not minuses.  The only other brace, which really doesn't do a whole lot, is the front tower brace which you could pick up at a salvage yard for under $100.  I installed one only because I ran across one for $50.

Miata.net has a table that shows the progression of changes.   http://www.miata.net/faq/miatachanges.html

NA Body Style- Minor facelift
2300 Lb
1.8L OBD-1 (1840 cc?s) BP-ZE
128 HP
Torsen LSD (optional)
ABS (optional)
5 Speed or automatic Transmission
Passenger Side Airbag Standard
Minor Mechanical Changes
Enlarged Brake Discs
Front Subframe Brace Added
Rear Subframe Brace Change
Cockpit Brace between seatbelt towers
?Flash-to-pass? added to headlights
Gas Tank Enlarged
14 x 6 Alloy Wheels  10.3 Lb

NA Body Style
1.8L OBD-1
128 HP
Torsen LSD (optional)
ABS (optional)
5 Speed or automatic Transmission
Oil Gauge changed to Lo-Hi
14 x 6 Alloy Wheels  10.3 Lb

Notes:  '94-'95: 1.8L engine 128hp (OBD-I... easier to mess with than '96-'97), 14X6 alloy wheels, torsen (stronger and longer lasting than viscous) LSD as an option, larger 4-wheel disk brakes, more chassis bracing, a little more weight (100 lb give or take a few) than the 90-93, 16.5 sec ET, similar handling and braking to '90-'93, R package was offered and had stiffer suspension and torsen, and were the lightest, M editions were the luxury models that were a bit heavier (50lb or so) and had 15X7 alloy wheels, torsen, standard suspension

The_Joker

Quote from: Onslaught on March 22, 2012, 03:23:58 AM
stuff.

Yes 94 was the first year for dual air bags and the bloated dash. 90-93 just had driver's side airbag and a flat side of the dash on the passenger side. Yup also the extra ladder brace for stiffening the chassis in the rear, a front brace, and also the plastic cockpit brace behind the seats.
94 M-Edition Miata

Onslaught

Quote from: The_Joker on March 22, 2012, 07:40:29 AM
Yes 94 was the first year for dual air bags and the bloated dash. 90-93 just had driver's side airbag and a flat side of the dash on the passenger side. Yup also the extra ladder brace for stiffening the chassis in the rear, a front brace, and also the plastic cockpit brace behind the seats.
I think it was the first time they had impact bars inside the doors too. I put the 95 brakes and the torsen on my 90.

850CSi

I'll come get it if you don't buy it!!! :lol:

(I am actually like 80% serious)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 850CSi on March 27, 2012, 07:19:22 PM
I'll come get it if you don't buy it!!! :lol:

(I am actually like 80% serious)

You can sleep on a couch at my place if you want..  Or could arrange shipment.  IF he sells. IF I don't buy. ;)
Will

Raza

You shouldn't buy it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 28, 2012, 10:18:26 AM
"Shouldn't" speed, either...

No, you definitely should speed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

AutobahnSHO

So I don?t officially own the car, but took possession and I?m driving it this week

1993 Miata, 169k miles, $2100 purchase price, which is the price of a new clutch and transmission installed Jan2012.

The owner accidentally packed the title in his furniture (enroute to Hawaii) so it will be a month before I can finalize the purchase. I was a little disappointed when I arrived home and he?d left the keys with my wife- he had said it?s a 1994, but it?s the smaller 1.6L engine version.

It?s been rear-ended twice but no frame damage, the lights are new, as is the trunk and bumper. Plus a good paintjob on the back half..

Newish aftermarket roof

What color was it originally?

(And what color was the replacement trunk??  !!

Needs some cleaning up

Blast to drive, should get much better fuel economy than my subie (23mpg mixed city/ 50mph cruise). Charged the A/C today (it?s been 100+ !!!!) and will do some cleaning. Need to fix the power antenna (which doesn?t go up or down but the motor whirrs everytime the radio is turned on/off) and want to eventually get the rims painted or something.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

Congrats dude! Are you dumping the Subaru? IIRC it needs a lot of work?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

The power antenna is not a tricky fix. Looks like it needs new seats, too. Otherwise, congratulations! I miss mine. :cry:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Thanks!

Keeping the subaru- can't haul more than one kid in Miata. But it's going to the shop. Misfiring cyl #1&2, I did all the easy stuff and it's still not cooperating.  Plus it's paid for, no point in getting rid of it.

So this car is just my get to work when the weather is nice car, weird having 3 cars and only 2 drivers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the trick on the antenna usually? I was going to see if it's something disconnected or just replace it with a non-power.

As far as seats, they have $25 covers at autozone which look like leather and are the same color. Or $200 online gets a vinyl replacement, you take everything off the frame and put the new seat on. Or get them re-finished?? I'm not a fan of this interior color but oh well.

I miss bass. I'll have to research how to get some more thump out of the door speakers without spending, it's got an aftermarket pioneer cd/mp3/aux in so don't have to go too crazy.

Oh and the cigarette lighter is ridiculously stupid for plugging phones or mp3 players in. I'll have to run another line somewherez..
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

What is that black box to the right of the shifter?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6