Are any of you one of those guys that tailgates virtually every other vehicle?

Started by shp4man, March 22, 2012, 01:43:28 PM

shp4man

I'm sure you've seen them on the road. The type of driver that habitually and regardless of speed, maintains a distance of about half a car length behind anybody that dares be in front of them and makes insane lane changes that depend on someone else braking to avoid a collision.
Who, if anyone, taught these people to drive? It seems to me there are more of these morons now than in the past. It's a good thing there isn't a .45 in my glovebox.
:rage:

Admit it. are you one of these guys?  ;)

Colonel Cadillac

These people do not exist in Louisiana.

If someone is driving slowly in the fast lane and doesn't get out of the way, I'll creep up and make it obvious I want to pass him.

AutobahnSHO

I'm not but noticing them more and more. I purposefully will let the "packs" pass me or I tunnel through them, that's where the accidents happen. 
Will

AutobahnSHO

PS- I want a paintball gun. I've proposed different colors for different infractions, your car gets covered with too many you get a ticket...
Will

Colonel Cadillac

Packs are the worst. I admit, I get a bit antsy if I get stuck in them and work at getting through them.

giant_mtb

I brake-checked a dude tailgating me this morning.  I was doing 32 in a 25 in the right lane and the left lane was wide open...fucker wouldn't go around me.  He slowed down with me; then I moved to the left lane and he went speeding on past me. :confused: 

I hate tailgating.  My brother's pretty bad about it...drives me nuts.

Sometimes, if someone pulls out in front of me when clearly they shouldn't have (i.e., I have to apply moderate braking because of their dumb ass) I'll ride their butt for a few seconds to see if they get the picture, but if they don't speed up, I'll either back off again or just zip around them...depending on my mood, I suppose. :lol:

FoMoJo

Not me.  I hate tailgaters.  I just gradually slow down if someone gets too close.  Funny thing is, most of them seem to be women these days.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

hotrodalex

I never tailgate. Can't stand being too close to cars, especially if they're brake happy.

TurboDan

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 22, 2012, 05:20:25 PM
Not me.  I hate tailgaters.  I just gradually slow down if someone gets too close.  Funny thing is, most of them seem to be women these days.

Agree 100%. On slowing down gradually, and the female tailgating trend.

GoCougs

50% of the time I will indeed tailgate those driving under the speed limit; not super aggressive but close enough to be definitely classified as tailgating. I also do the hug-the-fog-line move to telegraph my displeasure.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on March 22, 2012, 07:18:59 PM
50% of the time I will indeed tailgate those driving under the speed limit; not super aggressive but close enough to be definitely classified as tailgating. I also do the hug-the-fog-line move to telegraph my displeasure.

You especially need to tailgate when you're in a carpool lane and you're the only dude in the car.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

I only tailgate for a specific reason -- a car in the passing lane that should be over in the travel lane.  I don't get really close to the car in front of me.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on March 22, 2012, 07:24:42 PM
I only tailgate for a specific reason -- a car in the passing lane that should be over in the travel lane.  I don't get really close to the car in front of me.

Yep, but I have been known to get right up on their ass. I've also pulled out right, gunned it, and then cut them off in the left lane before speeding away. They usually stay in the left lane, even with a totally clear right lane. :rage:

Fortunately, people have reasonable good lane discipline around here, though they drive like fucking grammas through town.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

This is usually when I do it, too.

S204STi

Quote from: TurboDan on March 22, 2012, 06:57:23 PM

If I'm already in a line of cars and there's no way for me to speed up, yeah, I'll sometimes slow waaay down just to convey my displeasure, then speed back up.  But otherwise I speed up or move over, whichever makes the most sense at the moment.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't tailgate, because it is dangerous and causes road rage; I pass on the shoulder.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on March 22, 2012, 11:33:40 PM
Much betterer.

I am far from caring, anymore. I will always prove that I can be the bigger asshole.  :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

I'll only tailgate if they're in the left lane and won't move. Shows my displeasure, and also makes it easy to squeeze into the right lane to pass if I get a chance.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

I don't think tailgating is a good way to communicate displeasure, as it just makes people angry (see MiataJohn's post about chucking washers at people tailgating him). I hope to scare people and/or make myself feel better. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Byteme

I've found they are more likely to move over if I don't tailgate and just quickly flash my lights instead.  Tailgating just pisses them off and they mus think "screw you, now way am I moving out of this lane". 

And in answer to the question, No, I don't tailgate.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on March 23, 2012, 01:34:14 AM
I don't think tailgating is a good way to communicate displeasure, as it just makes people angry (see MiataJohn's post about chucking washers at people tailgating him). I hope to scare people and/or make myself feel better. :lol:

Understand though that is a pretty drastic measure that I've done about twice.

First step is to slow down a bit and hope they go around.  If they then decide they need to ride my bumper (as in I can no longer see their headlights) they get a break check.  That doesn't work?  On comes the windscreen washers.  If none of the above works and depending on the circumstances and if I'm in the Miata one can simply rest their right hand on the passenger seat and flick up a bit of junk without being seen to do it. 

hounddog

Quote from: TurboDan on March 22, 2012, 06:57:23 PM
I usually wait until I am next to another vehicle to slow, or, until I get close enough to another vehicle that the woman behind me thinks she can squirt around only to find out once over there that she cannot fit through. 

Then I stick right there keeping them from passing until another car comes up behind (presuming there was one right behind the original tailgater) me and then box her out so she has to fall behind that one.

Not exactly legal, but it can be fun.  I never push it too far, however.  I have no desire to defend against a road rage incident.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

TurboDan

Quote from: hounddog on March 23, 2012, 09:34:37 AM
I have no desire to defend against a road rage incident.

That, or dealing with insurance companies if someone does something incredibly dumb that results in an accident.

shp4man

It would be truly uplifting to see a cop actually ticket one of these jackasses. Following too close? Maybe reckless driving? Ya, that'd be good. :ohyeah:

FoMoJo

In that situation, I flash my highbeams and pound the horn.  It, usually, startles them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

hounddog

Quote from: shp4man on March 23, 2012, 10:01:34 AM
It would be truly uplifting to see a cop actually ticket one of these jackasses. Following too close? Maybe reckless driving? Ya, that'd be good. :ohyeah:
The trouble is catching them in the act when in a fully marked patrol car.

Even standard police cars without lightbars are still easy to spot, and most agencies just do not have the money to spend on non-patrol rated cars for this type of enforcement. 

Yes, it needs to be enforced, but where does the money for it come from? 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 23, 2012, 10:05:41 AM
In that situation, I flash my highbeams and pound the horn.  It, usually, startles them.
In Michigan it is legal to just move over into the 'slow lane' and pass them. 

I find the biggest groups of them here are;
1) women
2) foreign women
3) Illinios idiots
4) all of the above when talking on the phone

For what it is worth, Randy told me his traffic cars have issued a couple dozen tickets this year for texting while driving and commercial drivers talking on the phone.  :clap:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

FoMoJo

Quote from: hounddog on March 23, 2012, 10:08:58 AM
In Michigan it is legal to just move over into the 'slow lane' and pass them. 

May so, but I, sometimes, like to teach-them-a-lesson :lol:.

shp4man

On the subject of traffic law enforcement, I've always wondered why there weren't more unmarked, non-Crown Victoria police vehicles. If I was a cop, I could ticket people all day if my truck had lights behind the grill. :huh: