2014 BMW M3 Preview

Started by cawimmer430, March 28, 2012, 05:43:22 AM

cawimmer430

2014 BMW M3 Preview
Yet Another Revolution Is in the Works

There are no sacred cows when it comes to the BMW M3. Its first engine was a lightweight four-cylinder, then BMW bumped it up to a straight-6 and later to a small-displacement V8. It wasn't about adhering to some kind of long-forgotten company mandate, it was simply about which engine made the M3 better.

That kind of thinking could make the upcoming 2014 BMW M3 yet another ground-breaking new vehicle when it arrives in about two years. Although initial rumors pointed to the possibility of an inline-6 boosted by a trio of turbochargers, there's another, even more radical change in the works ? a V6.

Because a V6 Fits

Yes, a highly advanced 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 is being developed, according to a BMW insider. The rejection of an inline-6, it's claimed, is for reasons of packaging. The new V6 will be the first to mount its two twin-scroll turbochargers within the vee-angle, mirroring the company's 4.4-liter V8 design. This unique-to-BMW approach reduces the length of the inlet tract compared with a regular turbo-vee setup, helping to sharpen throttle response and minimizing heat buildup after air passes through the intercooler.

The V6 apparently won't be simply a cut-down version of the BMW V8, even though history records the M3's 4.0-liter V8 as a chopped version of the old M5 V10, with an identical bore and stroke. A two-cylinder cut of the 4,395cc V8 results in a 3,270cc capacity, yet our insider insists that a 3.0-liter capacity is most likely.

In theory, a 60-degree vee offers the best primary balance for a six; however, a 90-degree angle is required for the two turbos to fit. BMW must then solve the imbalance issue by using either balance shafts or a unique firing order, as it did with the 90-degree V10 in the E60 M5. Outputs of the unique-to-M3 engine are believed to be around 429 horsepower and 405 pound-feet of torque: sufficient to fend off the Audi RS4 and Mercedes C63 AMG. Improved direct injection, extra boost and a higher compression ratio will all contribute to the advantage the V6 will have over the BMW 1M's 3.0-liter twin-turbo straight-6.

So while the new twin-turbo V6 does seem the likely power source for the new M3, it also signals the end of a high-revving naturally aspirated engine for the car, a format synonymous with the badge over the past 26 years.

Shaving Pounds Where They Count

The next M3 will also be larger, yet lighter than the outgoing generation. Although the new F30 3 Series sedan is 3.7 inches longer than the E90, on average the range weighs 88 pounds less, thanks to alloy chassis components and increased use of ultra-high-tensile steel throughout the body. Further weight-loss strategies will be employed in the M3, with the M3 CRT concept previewing the advances.

Lightweight design components include a carbon honeycomb hood weighing around 6.6 pounds, titanium mufflers and carbon composite panels and seat parts. Aluminum wiring for the car's electronics replaces heavier copper, saving another 15-20 pounds overall.

BMW is reportedly working on carbon-ceramic discs and aluminum calipers ? saving 33 pounds on each corner ? but this expensive tech will likely be introduced late in the car's life cycle. Expect the M3 to tip the scales close to 3,483 pounds, which would be about 75 pounds less than the current coupe. Electric power steering ? not fitted to the new M5 ? is a possibility for the new M3, while a six-speed manual will continue alongside a revised seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox.

The E92's electronics ? including adaptive dampers and M-Sport differential ? will be revised to complement the new 3 Series' wider tracks.

The Internal Word

For the first time, the M3 will get a unique code name, tipped to be F80 for the sedan and F82 for the coupe and convertible. Also for the first time, the M3 four-door sedan will launch before the two-door body styles. Debate continues inside Munich over the possibility of renaming the 3 Series coupe and convertible as the 4 Series; however, a name change to M4 is something the M division is apparently actively against.

When the M3/M4 debuts in early 2014, it will need to comply with Euro 6 emissions standards and substantially undercut both the E92's 11.9L/100km and 1M's 9.6L/100km consumption ratings, while achieving a low-4-second 0-60-mph time. That's the new-age performance-car balancing act facing the M division engineers ? more power and reduced emissions, all while maintaining crisp throttle response and high rev-ability. It's not easy, but when you are free to use any means possible, it sure makes things easier.

Link: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/m3/2014/2014-bmw-m3-preview.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

If the weight estimates hold, that thing is going to be a beast.  I'll be interested to see how the turbo motor acts. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

The use of a unique firing order wouldn't impact turbo response, since BMW has innovatively tuned each exhaust runner to send equally timed impulses to the turbo hot-side. 

This thing is gonna rock.

sportyaccordy

Gonna be the first M3 with quattro :facepalm:

GoCougs

With this class of car getting ever more powerful and capable, the only way to get maximum performance in real world driving is going "quattro."

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

68_427

I find myself not caring at all .
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

i am a newfound bimmer fan after my recent test drive of two X3 models (turbo, non-turbo), but to be honest, the side profile of the new 3-series coupe looks similar to a honda. mercedes did the same thing with the C-class and E-class coupes. nevertheless, the yellow paint (not for me) looks fantastic and we all know that it is P U R E BMW and should not disappoint sitting in the driver's seat and putting the pedal-to-metal.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 28, 2012, 09:08:37 PM
With this class of car getting ever more powerful and capable, the only way to get maximum performance in real world driving is going "quattro."

This class of car is well beyond the level of performance one can fully + safely access on the street. So they are killing the character + legacy of the car to give it performance that can't be accessed in normal driving anyway. It's so stupid.

Atomic

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 29, 2012, 06:20:36 AM
This class of car is well beyond the level of performance one can fully + safely access on the street. So they are killing the character + legacy of the car to give it performance that can't be accessed in normal driving anyway. It's so stupid.
good point, sporty...

Raza

The character and legacy?  You're saying that because you don't like the character of turbocharged engines.  And on top of that, it's a bullshit argument, since the M3 has had an I4, two I6s, and a V8.  If you think the "character" of an M3 only comes from the common thread of naturally aspirated engines, then you're grasping at straws.  And what exactly is the "legacy" of the M3?  Is that "car with naturally aspirated engine" too?  Really? 

You're just talking out of your ass because you don't like turbochargers.  Don't use H&HTM to justify your own likes and dislikes. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AltinD

^^ I think he was talking about the M3 getting the X-drive .... that I don't know where or how did he came up with it

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: AltinD on March 29, 2012, 08:20:26 AM
^^ I think he was talking about the M3 getting the X-drive .... that I don't know where or how did he came up with it

He came up with it as he normally does, pulling it from his ass. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Do you have a source saying it'll get AWD? The article doesn't mention it... And looking at the weight numbers, it doesn't look like a quattro car.

Secret Chimp

Is this real or a rendering? The rear wheels sit kind of funny inside of the fenders.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Lebowski

Why do they always make us wait so long

MexicoCityM3

This wont have AWD, that was just sporty comparing it to an S4 because of the turbo engine.

The M3 has always been the top performing 3 series, built to rivalize a 911 while being a lot more practical for daily use. That?s what it is, independently of engine configuration. In this regard, this will continue that legacy.

If, Sporty, you want something with similar performance and feel to the original E30 M3, you could get a manual 128i. Or a 1M if you want it updated to modern standards. But it is a turbo. You should go drive one.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

So then by logical extension you argue inaccessible "well beyond" capability is better than the accessible type. THAT doesn't make sense.

AWD mitigates everyday safety/performance issues such as wet roads, bumpy roads, sand/gravel left over from the winter, etc., even when driving at 3/10s. Ask me how I know...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on March 29, 2012, 07:10:08 AM
The character and legacy?  You're saying that because you don't like the character of turbocharged engines.  And on top of that, it's a bullshit argument, since the M3 has had an I4, two I6s, and a V8.  If you think the "character" of an M3 only comes from the common thread of naturally aspirated engines, then you're grasping at straws.  And what exactly is the "legacy" of the M3?  Is that "car with naturally aspirated engine" too?  Really? 

You're just talking out of your ass because you don't like turbochargers.  Don't use H&HTM to justify your own likes and dislikes. 
Yea I don't like turbochargers. So what? Thats my opinion. And this is literally no different from your existential crisis on Porsche not making the cars you think they should. But the difference is, BMW really isn't making any more naturally aspirated motors. You were having palpitations about one of the trillion variants of 911s possibly going all DSG. The next M3, and all other BMWs, will definitely be turbocharged. For someone who likes what BMW used to be about, and doesn't like turbochargers, that's a valid grievance

Audi is a good car company and they've made some great cars + engines. But I don't see how its a good thing that BMW is turning into Audi. You always go on and on about purism and all that. What's pure about a turbo?

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 29, 2012, 09:03:09 AM
This wont have AWD, that was just sporty comparing it to an S4 because of the turbo engine.

The M3 has always been the top performing 3 series, built to rivalize a 911 while being a lot more practical for daily use. That?s what it is, independently of engine configuration. In this regard, this will continue that legacy.

If, Sporty, you want something with similar performance and feel to the original E30 M3, you could get a manual 128i. Or a 1M if you want it updated to modern standards. But it is a turbo. You should go drive one.
Even that will be turbocharged soon. No matter how good it is, it will never match the response + sound of a well sorted naturally aspirated engine... like the engines in all the previous M3s. What's wrong with the current V8? How will a turbo V6 be better?

Quote from: GoCougs on March 29, 2012, 09:20:31 AM
So then by logical extension you argue inaccessible "well beyond" capability is better than the accessible type. THAT doesn't make sense.

AWD mitigates everyday safety/performance issues such as wet roads, bumpy roads, sand/gravel left over from the winter, etc., even when driving at 3/10s. Ask me how I know...
If you can't drive a RWD car on street tires in the rain you probably suck at driving, or are reckless. People have been making do with 2WD in the snow belt for quite some time now. AWD is fine, if it's your preference go for it but having it is not the difference between life + death

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 29, 2012, 09:52:00 AM
Yea I don't like turbochargers. So what? Thats my opinion. And this is literally no different from your existential crisis on Porsche not making the cars you think they should. But the difference is, BMW really isn't making any more naturally aspirated motors. You were having palpitations about one of the trillion variants of 911s possibly going all DSG. The next M3, and all other BMWs, will definitely be turbocharged. For someone who likes what BMW used to be about, and doesn't like turbochargers, that's a valid grievance

Audi is a good car company and they've made some great cars + engines. But I don't see how its a good thing that BMW is turning into Audi. You always go on and on about purism and all that. What's pure about a turbo?

It's not at all close.  You're talking about ruining tradition and legacy.  I said I didn't like the possibility of a DSG only in a GT3.  Do you see the difference?  One is a statement of (bullshit) fact and the other is an opinion.  Until you figure out what the difference is, you'll always be viewed as a clown.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

If you can't drive a RWD car on street tires in the rain you probably suck at driving, or are reckless. People have been making do with 2WD in the snow belt for quite some time now. AWD is fine, if it's your preference go for it but having it is not the difference between life + death

This I agree with you on, 100%. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

Lets us all be clear, this car will NOT have AWD. So we can thus end all of the arguments related to that in this thread moving forward.

I am personally pretty pumped about this car, potential V6 and all. If there is one car company that I generally trust to do new things (to them) right, it is BMW. Yes, it is sad there will no longer be NA performance engines in the M lineup, but that is just the way the market is moving. You simply cannot meet emissions and fuel economy goals with that configuration in this type of performance car.

I think their "hot vee" setup is pretty neat, and am interested to see it in a V6 configuration. This car will be substantially faster (hello torque), likely much more fuel efficient, and likely over 100 lbs lighter. That is pretty good news to an enthusiast.

LonghornTX

That is far from true, beyond outright at the limit cornering situations. Remember, think outside of the big city that you live in  :thumbsup:

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on March 29, 2012, 07:33:39 PM
Sorry, this a comment borne of ignorance and strawmanism.

No, his comment is pretty much spot on.  I've lived and driven in one of the snowiest metro areas in the lower 48 states for over a decade with 2WD cars (1WD, really, when you factor an open diff), both FWD and RWD, running all-season tires and no traction control (or ABS).  I have only once lost control of a vehicle due to bad road conditions and that was on black ice (and I managed to keep it off the guard rails), where even an AWD vehicle can find itself thrown for a loop.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 29, 2012, 08:51:26 AM
Is this real or a rendering? The rear wheels sit kind of funny inside of the fenders.

Rendering. The basic 3-series coupe hasn't been released yet.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on March 29, 2012, 07:51:38 PM
No, his comment is pretty much spot on.  I've lived and driven in one of the snowiest metro areas in the lower 48 states for over a decade with 2WD cars (1WD, really, when you factor an open diff), both FWD and RWD, running all-season tires and no traction control (or ABS).  I have only once lost control of a vehicle due to bad road conditions and that was on black ice (and I managed to keep it off the guard rails), where even an AWD vehicle can find itself thrown for a loop.

He's wrong if but for nothing other than mixing premises and sprinkling in a bit of strawmanism. (I deleted that comment FWIW, as it was sharper than I had intended.)

I drive in a LOT of snow, and not just "metro" snow; mountain passes, ski areas, and desolate and rural roads. 2WD + all seasons is  :facepalm:  in such conditions; pretty much no one does it.

But snow wasn't my point, it was his.

sportyaccordy

2WD + snow tires is more than enough. For super extreme conditions things like ground clearance & complete control over throttle + transmission are more important than drive wheels.

SVT666

Even that will be turbocharged soon. No matter how good it is, it will never match the response + sound of a well sorted naturally aspirated engine... like the engines in all the previous M3s. What's wrong with the current V8? How will a turbo V6 be better?
80% more torques.

QuoteIf you can't drive a RWD car on street tires in the rain you probably suck at driving, or are reckless. People have been making do with 2WD in the snow belt for quite some time now. AWD is fine, if it's your preference go for it but having it is not the difference between life + death
Agreed.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 29, 2012, 08:10:34 PM
He's wrong if but for nothing other than mixing premises and sprinkling in a bit of strawmanism. (I deleted that comment FWIW, as it was sharper than I had intended.)

I drive in a LOT of snow, and not just "metro" snow; mountain passes, ski areas, and desolate and rural roads. 2WD + all seasons is  :facepalm:  in such conditions; pretty much no one does it.

But snow wasn't my point, it was his.

You said nothing about All-seasons in your original post.  BTW, AWD in snow doesn't make you stop any better or corner any better, it just gives you better traction for acceleration.

MexicoCityM3

Overall I prefer the N/A V8 over the turbo 6 in the 1M. Can?t compare with the unreleased next M3 engine.

Having said that, the turbo 6 does have a few advantages over the V8. The rush of power in the low end is simply addictive. The 1M feels a lot faster than the M3 in everyday driving. I just can?t resist pushing it and getting the torque rush. The noise isn?t bad, just different. I have gotten to like a lot the wastegate whistle after pushing it in 1st or 2nd then letting go of the throttle. The right now passing power in basically any gear is fantastic as well. And it does get much better fuel economy than the V8.

The 1M is more fun than the M3 at anything less than 10/10ths. It is only at 10/10ths on the track that the M3 engine is definitely superior because there you are above 5.5K rpm all the time and throttle response is king to adjust the car. The 1M has a very good track engine, but second to the M3 definitely.

Finally, there is no reason to believe that the next M3s engine isn't going to be significantly better than the 1M's engine. Especially if they go to a V6. Since it is a given they are going turbo, I am in favor of them just optimizing whatever configuration is best. And I think that is the V6 because of the hot valley turbo placement (less lag - I have driven an X5M and believe me, that thing has less lag than the 1M) and the ability to place more mass rearward which helps handling. The only advantage of the inline 6 is natural smoothness, but really, I think with balance shafts that is nigh imperceptible with today?s technology.

You should go test drive a 35i, or new 28i BMW.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)