Chang'An Eado

Started by 2o6, March 30, 2012, 08:46:50 PM

2o6

I think it looks actually quite competent. Styling is Asia-generic with a bit of Hyundai and Ford thrown in, but it's actually quite pleasant to look at.

Live photos

Motivation comes from a 1.6L motor producing 124HP mated to a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic.

2o6

Prices start at 73,000RMB, or around 11K USD (direct conversion).

Cookie Monster

Hey that's not bad at all!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

WookieOnRitalin

Turn that symbol upside down and it's an Acura.

Holden Steering wheel. Bit of an Avensis front end. Infiniti dash.

Not bad, but bland.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Generically handsome. Nice-looking interior. I wonder how it drives.

Secret Chimp

I thought somebody made another subject-change post in your Yaris thread in Klingon or something.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Color me unimpressed. Generic/bland/derivative/boring styling and design features in equal measure, and outdated mechanically. The Chinese just make sh*tty cars right now
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

2o6

Quote from: LonghornTX on March 31, 2012, 08:50:17 PM
Color me unimpressed. Generic/bland/derivative/boring styling and design features in equal measure, and outdated mechanically. The Chinese just make sh*tty cars right now

Outdated in what fashion? The powerplant is on par with other motors, and so are the transmissions.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 2o6 on March 31, 2012, 08:54:49 PM
Outdated in what fashion? The powerplant is on par with other motors, and so are the transmissions.
4-spd auto is not outdated? A 5pd MT is not as bad, but certainly behind what most other offerings in this class provide

2o6

Quote from: LonghornTX on March 31, 2012, 08:58:04 PM
4-spd auto is not outdated? A 5pd MT is not as bad, but certainly behind what most other offerings in this class provide

This car is cheaper, and the Toyota Yaris and Corolla use four-speed units.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 2o6 on March 31, 2012, 09:04:54 PM
This car is cheaper, and the Toyota Yaris and Corolla use four-speed units.

The Yaris is a different class of car (I am assuming this a C) and the Corolla is now an also-ran in that segment. All of the new generation (Cruze, Focus, Dart, Elantra) offer 6 speeds

ifcar

Quote from: LonghornTX on March 31, 2012, 10:39:48 PM
The Yaris is a different class of car (I am assuming this a C) and the Corolla is now an also-ran in that segment. All of the new generation (Cruze, Focus, Dart, Elantra) offer 6 speeds

At $11,000, that's easy enough to forgive.

LonghornTX

Quote from: ifcar on April 01, 2012, 06:17:18 AM
At $11,000, that's easy enough to forgive.
That is assuming the car could pass a modern crash or emissions test. Or not have dreadful quality. Or actually cost 11K if it were sold in the U.S.

ifcar

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 01, 2012, 05:11:59 PM
That is assuming the car could pass a modern crash or emissions test. Or not have dreadful quality. Or actually cost 11K if it were sold in the U.S.

Our minimum crash test standards haven't been updated in something like 15 years, so while it might bomb the tougher IIHS and NHTSA consumer tests (and, then again, might not) it wouldn't be terribly difficult for it to meet the minimum standard of 1998. Emissions, harder to say, but I wouldn't write it off.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

LonghornTX

Quote from: ifcar on April 01, 2012, 05:18:04 PM
Our minimum crash test standards haven't been updated in something like 15 years, so while it might bomb the tougher IIHS and NHTSA consumer tests (and, then again, might not) it wouldn't be terribly difficult for it to meet the minimum standard of 1998. Emissions, harder to say, but I wouldn't write it off.
I think we both know that it doesn't matter if it only passes the minimum. I should of phrased my statement better, but without at least decent scores, the vehicle would likely be labeled with some harsh words by publications like CR. For a new brand, that might as well be a shot to the head

ifcar

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 01, 2012, 07:55:40 PM
I think we both know that it doesn't matter if it only passes the minimum. I should of phrased my statement better, but without at least decent scores, the vehicle would likely be labeled with some harsh words by publications like CR. For a new brand, that might as well be a shot to the head

I feel like as long as the prices are low enough, the main issue is reliability. A car can get terrible safety scores and terrible, and be a rather lousy car, but as long as it doesn't break down it'll find plenty of buyers.

I agree though that that the company would then need to pull a major Hyundai if it wanted to subsequently sell better, pricier products.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2012, 05:19:09 PM
RMB73k *in China*?
AFAIK, yes.

This car will go head to head with cars like the

Great Wall C50 (although it looks similar in calibere to the Chang'An, this car is a Cloned Honda Civic, thorough and through)

Brilliance 530

Geely Emgrand EC7 (which is the oldest car here)

All of them are C-segments, and are a deal cheaper than import competiton; a basic Nissan Sunny (Versa to us) costs 82K RMB in china. And that car is a class down, with less power.

omicron

This won't do. It requires more bent panels and jaggedy creases to excite the eye. Hopefully they crash with haste to add the necessary jaunty aesthetics.

TurboDan

The rear end kinda reminds me of a Mazda Millennia.