Nissan Altima!

Started by 2o6, April 03, 2012, 02:04:59 PM

2o6

On the fence about it. Some elements I like, others I hate.

sportyaccordy

Looks like a Nissan M-series, with a truck face

ifcar

You forgot to post a link to the specs, such as 38 mpg highway standard.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/03/2013-nissan-altima-new-york-2012/

SVT666

I don't like the Nissan front ends right now.

Vinsanity

Me gusta. Sounds like they improved rear passenger room, which shall come in handy in case Nissan still wants to sell them as NYC taxis.

sportyaccordy

NY cabs are moving to those weird Nissan van things. Which I think is the right move, cabs should be as efficient in consumption + space as possible. Hybrid vans.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on April 03, 2012, 05:35:23 PM
You forgot to post a link to the specs, such as 38 mpg highway standard.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/03/2013-nissan-altima-new-york-2012/

That is too much gas mileage. Something is wrong.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

The front is pretty bad, but the rest looks decent.  I like the side profile.

Raza

Wow, that's the first new mainstream car I've liked in a long time.  I think since the last Golf.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27157.msg1697527#msg1697527 date=1333503830
Wow, that's the first new mainstream car I've liked in a long time.  I think since the last Golf.

+1

It's a looker. I used to be partial to the Fusion's aesthetics, but this one takes it.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

2o6

Atomic

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2012, 06:41:09 PM
That is too much gas mileage. Something is wrong.
could it be an error or the mileage of the new hybrid (components no longer supplied by toyota) expected months after the debt of the non-hybrid model.

i really like this (2013) altima. it looks a lot like the current nissan maxima without being a cookie cutter design.

i did hear that nissan is preparing a new altima sedan based coupe with a different name this time around, possibly the past name of a sporty nissan coupe (NOT pulsar) offered a decade or so ago. the name escapes me. it is not the "Z" obviously. ZX? cannot recall the moniker (why i hate letters/numbers as a vehicle nameplate, aside from high end models, i.e., audi, BMW, mercedes-benz). it is part alphabetical and numeric. nissan fans?

Vinsanity

Quote from: Atomic on April 03, 2012, 09:49:54 PM
could it be an error or the mileage of the new hybrid (components no longer supplied by toyota) expected months after the debt of the non-hybrid model.

i really like this (2013) altima. it looks a lot like the current nissan maxima without being a cookie cutter design.

i did hear that nissan is preparing a new altima sedan based coupe with a different name this time around, possibly the past name of a sporty nissan coupe (NOT pulsar) offered a decade or so ago. the name escapes me. it is not the "Z" obviously. ZX? cannot recall the moniker (why i hate letters/numbers as a vehicle nameplate, aside from high end models, i.e., audi, BMW, mercedes-benz). it is part alphabetical and numeric. nissan fans?

I fear they might be using the Silvia name on a FWD vehicle :frown:

TurboDan

Is there any reason to buy this thing over a Fusion, though?

Seems like inferior styling, though the interior looks pleasing.

omicron

The all-new US-designed Nissan Altima will be seen on Australian racetracks before it hits the streets, after Nissan Australia and Kelly Racing confirmed the Camry-sized vehicle would challenge the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore in the V8 Supercar Championship in 2013.

Speaking to motoring.com.au, Rick Kelly also confirmed that his race team would use the Nissan Patrol's V8 engine, the 5.6-litre Japanese-made V8 engine codenamed VK56DE.

"Nissan Australia has never been more excited about the future," said Ian Moreillon, executive general manager of national sales and fleet, who confirmed the Altima's motor racing debut will precede its arrival in dealerships.

"We're extremely excited about this [Nissan Altima] project. We're going to do some things that are new to the sport," hinted Nissan's sales boss.

"We will be able to say we're one of the only racecars on the grid which has got the basis of an engine that is sold in a road car in Australia."

While the new Kelly Racing Nissan Altima V8 race car engine will have a 5.0-litre displacement, different to the Nissan Patrol's 5.6-litre capacity, Nissan will make a lot of noise in 2013 that it has more manufacturer DNA in its race car than its Holden and Ford rivals.

"The big thing with Car of the Future is [that our new Nissan V8 Supercar] is going to have more Nissan DNA in our car than our current Holden car does from Holden," added Rick Kelly, who said very few parts of the current Commodore are supplied by Holden.

Nissan's entry into V8 Supercars is unique in that its race car will precede the road car, and Nissan hopes to generate enormous pre-release interest for the new Altima mid-sized car by taking this approach.

Though Nissan wouldn't be drawn on the exact timing of the production car, apart from saying later in 2013, it may coincide with the Bathurst 1000, usually held in October.

"We have a planning date," explained Moreillon, who went decidedly quiet when asked if the Nissan Altima's production launch would align with a significant Australian motorsport event. "It's maybe a good idea," he eventually said with a smile.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012/medium-passenger/nissan/new-york-motor-show-nissan-altima-the-latest-v8-supercar-29570

I think the manufacturer link is a bit tenuous - the car you'll be able to buy in the showroom is a FWD four or V6, and the car on the racetrack is a RWD V8. I do like that a new manufacturer is coming into V8 Supercars, but come come, Nissan - the proper road car to bring in is the Infiniti M56.

Raza

Quote from: Northlands on April 03, 2012, 07:48:13 PM
+1

It's a looker. I used to be partial to the Fusion's aesthetics, but this one takes it.

Oh right, the outgoing Fusion I did like from the start.  The new one looks like a cloaca. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

I don't care for this front end at all, but everything else about it seems quite nice.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27157.msg1697975#msg1697975 date=1333554547
Oh right, the outgoing Fusion I did like from the start.  The new one looks like a cloaca. 
Everyone I know who sees a picture of it wants one.

68_427

Quote from: TurboDan on April 03, 2012, 10:56:10 PM
Is there any reason to buy this thing over a Fusion, though?

Seems like inferior styling, though the interior looks pleasing.

It'll probably be a better driving car, and there are some people who really want a V6 over a turbo 4.  It also get's better MPG than the Fusion 1.6.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27157.msg1697975#msg1697975 date=1333554547

Im calling you out on taste...people talk about me but yours is far stranger.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

The styling is bland on the border of ugly.

WookieOnRitalin

Bland and boring. It will sell well. Next.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Atomic

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on April 06, 2012, 04:45:09 PM
Bland and boring. It will sell well. Next.
so true. the new VW passat is far more mainstream, IMO, and everyone looking for a honda accord, toyota camry, etc. seem to like it a lot. as with all cars out there: sales numbers are what the auto manufactures are looking for. it will deliver, like the new passat and redesigned camry.

GoCougs

Looks great but also bigger. Keeping the V6, which is the right choice vs. a turbo 4. Some nice interior touches such as rear seat vents (which much of the class doesn't have) and the TFT screen between tach and speedo.

hotrodalex

They made it look like the Maxima, again. They need to stop doing that.

Atomic

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 07, 2012, 12:53:39 PM
this would not be such a disappointing thing if they make the maxi more distinctive again.

ifcar

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 07, 2012, 12:53:39 PM

They're going to need to find something to do with the Maxima to separate it from the new Altima. Maybe it will get the more adventurous looks for the next generation.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on April 07, 2012, 01:11:38 PM
They're going to need to find something to do with the Maxima to separate it from the new Altima. Maybe it will get the more adventurous looks for the next generation.

My instinctive guess is that they can make the Maxima their "4-door coupe", paying homage to their marketing gimmick from the early 90's, but this Altima, like the previous one, is already pretty swoopy.