G class facelift

Started by Galaxy, April 11, 2012, 05:33:14 AM

Galaxy

All in all I think it looks good. They kept the trademark chunky look, yet modernized the interior. Granted, I think they could have done more in the interior, especially with regard to paneling on the door interior, and some of the things look bolted on. The G class also got modern tech like radar cruise control, trailer stabilization, etc, plus gizmos like internet access. The G kept the offroad tech like three lockable diffs, the 7 gear auto got a low range. The base G is the G 350 CDI BlueTech with 211hp. The G 500 has 388hp and the G 63 544, and the G 65 612. Of course the last two will leave you stranded in the desert.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on April 11, 2012, 05:33:14 AM
Of course the last two will leave you stranded in the desert.

:lol:

So true! But hey, you can merge unto a freeway with them!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Lebowski

Everyone knocks the interior but I rather liked the old school interior (pre-upgrade).

It's a niche vehicle, people who want a brand new looking interior are gonna buy something else anyway.

Raza

I never had a problem with the G class, inside or out.  But I do like the older exterior better.  I don't understand the point of the LED strips.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Not gonna lie, I'm extremely curious to get behind the wheel of this G65.

Rich

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 11, 2012, 10:24:50 AM
Not gonna lie, I'm extremely curious to get behind the wheel of this G65.

I'm glad you refrain from lying.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Atomic

Quote from: Raza  on April 11, 2012, 09:52:34 AM
I never had a problem with the G class, inside or out.  But I do like the older exterior better.  I don't understand the point of the LED strips.
i am guessing the LED strips are for safety bragging rights on the part of 'benz. this vehicle truly has a cult following and i would imagine many (for numbers sold) are repeat customers obviously wanting little to change year-to-year. i see it as a "love it or hate it" vehicle for the wealthy. it's the rich man's jeep, IMO. the interior looks decent, but the navigation system looks like an "add on" or aftermarket accessory. going through the motions of updated it, benz certainly could have done a better job integrating the "navi" into the dashboard layout, i think. the exterior redesign doesn't do much to improve upon this cool mercedes, but that, too, should not affect sales for the better or the worse. the new "12 cylinder" i posted a thread about could seal the deal for some, i would think.

Galaxy

Keep in mind the G 65 AMG will be the most expensive vehicle Mercedes has on offer. For that it looks a bit plain imo, especially with the NAV screen from the A/B class.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Galaxy on April 11, 2012, 02:33:47 PM
Keep in mind the G 65 AMG will be the most expensive vehicle Mercedes has on offer. For that it looks a bit plain imo, especially with the NAV screen from the A/B class.

Well, to be fair, it is a tad bit more capable than an SLS in quite a few regards.

I just want to know what it feels like to mash the throttle on a 30-year-old mini-tank with a 600-hp V12 under the hood.

Galaxy

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 11, 2012, 02:46:11 PM

I just want to know what it feels like to mash the throttle on a 30-year-old mini-tank with a 600-hp V12 under the hood.

Indeed. It is also interesting that a 33 year old design has internet and a radar cruise control.  :lol: Things like the A/B class NAV screen just make me feel like they could have put a bit more effort into it.

Lebowski

One of my bosses had a black amg g (I think it was the G 55 then) that he didn't like, and he sold it right around the time I bought my 4runner.  I didn't know he was selling it til it was gone, I'm sure I could have practically stolen it :facepalm:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 11, 2012, 02:46:11 PM

One of the salesman at the MB dealership where I used to work had a rare opportunity to drive a Brabus G V12 G-Class in Dubai. He said that when you performed a kickdown, the steering wheel would automatically lock and you could only use that power in a straight line. The car was just to heavy and the center of gravity was to high. Brabus suspension tweaks weren't that good. But the acceleration and torque according to him were just brutal. I think that thing did 0-100 km/h in 4.1 seconds or something. Not to sure and to lazy to look it up.

Pointless car, but should be fun to drive in its own way in places with cheap gas...

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

it must make money for the brand to have soldiered on past the introduction of the GL-class that was intended to replace it. i do admire a rare sighting, often in south FL or NYC.

Raza

Rare indeed, but every time I see one, it's an occasion.  It has style and presence unlike any other SUV on the market and more than a lot of cars.  Whenever a Continental GT, for example, slides on by, hunkered down, too much blobby sheetmetal, looking like a fat G35 coupe, it goes virtually unnoticed by most.  But the G class?  Everyone notices that car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Merc seems to have lost the plot. That interior is not at all safari ready.

There are a lot of Monteros and Land Cruisers in Ghana. There is luxury in not having to wipe your feet or whatever to protect your 4x4's expensive + irreplacable carpet.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 12, 2012, 10:43:52 AM

There are a lot of Monteros and Land Cruisers in Ghana. There is luxury in not having to wipe your feet or whatever to protect your 4x4's expensive + irreplacable carpet.

+1

A car like this does better with a tastefully appointed, if spartan interior that's also rugged/durable. It doesn't need a GL interior, and IMO a super lux interior takes away some of the appeal of the thing.

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on April 12, 2012, 11:29:02 AM
+1

A car like this does better with a tastefully appointed, if spartan interior that's also rugged/durable. It doesn't need a GL interior, and IMO a super lux interior takes away some of the appeal of the thing.

For me at least, the whole AMG deal ruins it before the interior. I like the idea of something like a G320 Bluetec.

EDIT: Apparently there's a G350 CDI offered, as per the initial post. That sounds good. Also, the LEDs look retarded.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 12, 2012, 10:43:52 AM
Merc seems to have lost the plot. That interior is not at all safari ready.

Quote from: Lebowski on April 12, 2012, 11:29:02 AM
+1

Mercedes G270 CDI Worker - stripped of all luxury applications and with a functional original 1979-style G-Class interior. 5-cyl. turbodiesel with 170-hp. Available in Europe for people who need a capable SUV and not a luxury SUV.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

I really would like one of those. I can't believe MB still makes that steering wheel. I'd imagine it's the only product that still uses it, which makes me wonder how much it costs MB to make?

(Assuming it's got AC.)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Submariner

Meh - a lazy update.

I love the G-class, I really do.  As Richard Hammand once said, it may very well be one of the coolest cars on the market.  But seriously, for 105k, I want an interior that's on par with a Range Rover and exterior touches that don't border on tacky and pasted on (the LED lights)

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Lebowski

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 12, 2012, 11:33:06 AM

For me at least, the whole AMG deal ruins it before the interior. I like the idea of something like a G320 Bluetec.

EDIT: Apparently there's a G350 CDI offered, as per the initial post. That sounds good. Also, the LEDs look retarded.

Yep, this is one of the few mercs I'd rather have in non amg trim.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 12, 2012, 11:40:19 AM

Mercedes G270 CDI Worker - stripped of all luxury applications and with a functional original 1979-style G-Class interior. 5-cyl. turbodiesel with 170-hp. Available in Europe for people who need a capable SUV and not a luxury SUV.

Obviously there are non Beverly Hills trims. The question is why they even make the Beverly Hills trims in the first place. Well I mean obviously it's because people buy them. But then the question is why people buy them. Which is obviously because they want the image of ruggedness without the ruggedness of ruggedness. Cars like the G65 just speak to the old mantra "money can't buy taste". Just a little sad that MB is willing to blunt a legendary car's versatility to cater to them.

GoCougs

Wow do you gotta be one desperate SOB to buy one of these things...

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on April 12, 2012, 12:47:27 PM
Wow do you gotta be one desperate SOB to buy one of these things...

Why?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 12, 2012, 11:41:27 AM
I really would like one of those. I can't believe MB still makes that steering wheel. I'd imagine it's the only product that still uses it, which makes me wonder how much it costs MB to make?

(Assuming it's got AC.)

It's been upgraded now. It's now called the G280 CDI Pur (Pur = Pure). 3.0 diesel with 183-hp. A/C is standard.

http://www.4wheelfun.de/fahrberichte/mercedes-g-280-cdi-edition-30-pur-erste-fahrt-im-mercedes-g-klasse-sondermodell-1582910.html

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 12, 2012, 12:44:47 PM
Obviously there are non Beverly Hills trims. The question is why they even make the Beverly Hills trims in the first place. Well I mean obviously it's because people buy them. But then the question is why people buy them. Which is obviously because they want the image of ruggedness without the ruggedness of ruggedness. Cars like the G65 just speak to the old mantra "money can't buy taste". Just a little sad that MB is willing to blunt a legendary car's versatility to cater to them.

There's a small market for pointless cars. This is one of them (with this V12 engine). It's all about status and perhaps a little "fun" (I can imagine a G65 AMG is fun in the straights).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

I wonder if quirky features like the 24V NATO power socket survived the face lift, even if they are useless for civilian life. H&H! H&H! Imagine the awesomeness of finding an M1A1 with a dead battery and giving him him a jolt with your G 65.  :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on April 12, 2012, 01:41:57 PM
I wonder if quirky features like the 24V NATO power socket survived the face lift, even if they are useless for civilian life. H&H! H&H! Imagine the awesomeness of finding an M1A1 with a dead battery and giving him him a jolt with your G 65.  :lol:

:lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de