GTCC #799

Started by FoMoJo, April 12, 2012, 09:30:22 AM

FoMoJo

Something a little different...

It's a one off but notworthy to a generation of car guys.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

93JC

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

93JC

I figured there had to be more to it, otherwise it's just too easy.

Looks like it's got a flathead V8 in it, which Model As did not have. Nor did they have the greyhound hood ornament, from what I remember.

This particular car doesn't stand out to me at all. I'm obviously too young to know what it is, exactly.

93JC

Hmm, wait a minute now, that might be a flathead V12...

93JC

Ha. "Hot Rod Lincoln", it seems. ;)

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on April 12, 2012, 02:54:08 PM

Ha. "Hot Rod Lincoln", it seems. ;)
Indeed, that is the original "Hot Rod Lincoln". 

I thought I'd try something a little different because whatever else I've chosen, Colin got immediately.  I figured you might work it out though. 

A little History, for those interested.  The car was built and owned by Charlie Ryan...according to the The Original "Hot Rod Lincoln" - Charlie Ryan website.  Here is the song he wrote about it...Charlie Ryan - Hot Rod Lincoln.  Though it was recorded by a few artists over the years, imo, the best version, other than the original, is this one...Johnny Bond - Hot Rod Lincoln.  Now, if you were a car loving teenager in the late fifties cruising around in an old Mercury with a few buddies and 1050 CHUM was playing that song, it could get you in a lot of trouble.

J86

I thought it was a Commander Cody song?  My Dad's mentioned it to me.

FoMoJo

Quote from: J86 on April 12, 2012, 07:09:00 PM
I thought it was a Commander Cody song?  My Dad's mentioned it to me.
That was in the '70s, different era and different sound.  Still, it did pretty well on the charts.

Rupert

I like the Commander Cody version better.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rupert on April 12, 2012, 09:13:32 PM
I like the Commander Cody version better.
I guess that version suited the time...the '70s.  It was a bit too frenetic sounding for my taste.  I always liked the earlier Johnny Bond version for its laid back, laconic sound.  I thought it typified the attitude that developed between the Ford and Chevy guys back then; lots of jibes but all in good humour.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on April 12, 2012, 09:39:35 PM
Go again, FoMoJo.
Okay, I'll use my altenate choice; that Colin will immediately identify. :huh: